Harold Shipman found dead in cell

Killer doctor Harold Shipman has died after being found hanging in his cell, the Prison Service says. Shipman was found hanging in his cell at 0620 GMT and staff tried to resuscitate him but he was pronounced dead by a doctor at 0810 GMT - more...

Posted this in case you didn't know or wanted to discuss it...

So there is justice after all.

Not sure if it's justice to be honest. The daughter of one of his victims said she was upset that he took the easy way out and never showed any remorse for his actions. There are also the children and partners of all those people he was never convicted of killing - they might never know if he actually killed them now.

You would have thought the prison should have noticed him becoming more and more suicidal/depressed? People tend to reach the end of their tether before killing themselves - they don't normally get up one morning and suddenly decide this is the day. Or do they?!

...edit...

On a side note, I noticed the BBC now have a link below their "Harold Shipman found dead in cell" headline which says "Live Video - News 24 latest". What exactly could the latest news be about Harold Shipman?! "Err yes Connie, I can confirm the latest status from the prison... he's still dead."

Oh what a pity :thumbsup:

I would prefer him to have been kept alive to suffer. He killed 215 people and has been allowed to take the easy way out.

I suppose we can only be thankful that his death was probably a lot slower and more painful than the departure of his victims.

I heard on the radio that his body is now in the Medico-Legal centre in Sheffield for the post mortem.

At this stage I offer no thoughts and no judgements

But I would like to ask this one question

Q: For those of you who believe in the death penalty, I would be interested in how you feel today knowing that this mass murderer is dead.

Are you glad he is dead, because he deserved to die, or are you angry that he is dead because it didnt happen by official hands

As I say I only ask the question, there is no pre-ordained agenda here. I am merely curious.

I'm not glad he's dead, i would have preferred him serve his time and be punished. Yes he deserved to die, but he took a cowards way out rather than face justice.

Thanks DaB for your answer

Again I make no judgement and merely pose the question

Is it cowardly to kill yourself, or does it require bravery?

A very close, very dear friend of mine killed herself in 1995 in a room in my house

You will know that I suffered from guilt, remorse and extreme anger, all at once

Is that the easy way out?

I dont think I could ever bring myself to do it

Could you do it?

I dont know, I only seek to understand

Easy way out for harrold (that's the terminology I mean)

However for someone who isn't a murderer it would take a severe psychological issue (or several) to make someone go to those lengths.

Could I do it? Depends really.... you never know what life throws at you to make you do things like that.