Harold Shipman found dead in cell

Originally posted by Belle

Thanks DaB for your answer

Again I make no judgement and merely pose the question

Is it cowardly to kill yourself, or does it require bravery?

A very close, very dear friend of mine killed herself in 1995 in a room in my house

You will know that I suffered from guilt, remorse and extreme anger, all at once

Is that the easy way out?

I dont think I could ever bring myself to do it

Could you do it?

I dont know, I only seek to understand

I'm sorry to hear about your friend that must have been truly dreadful.

2 years ago almost to the day, a married couple who were friends of my parents committed suicide. I went through a range of emotions afterwards and still do when I think about it.

I'm not sure on the cowardly or bravery part... It kind of takes guts to actually do it, but I think it can be harsh to call it cowardly in some cases.

I think every situation is slightly different depending on what's happening in that person's life at the time. For example, someone who commits suicide may be suffering from such bad depression that they just can't see anyway out. I don't think that's cowardly, I think it's just being in a really horrible place in life where you don't think there's any help available or no hope. But I don't think it's necessarily brave either. Perhaps it's just taken as a "solution" (albeit a horribly tragic one) to a situation where no other option seems available without knowing that someone/something COULD actually help?

Of course one of the many horrible things about suicide is the person is no longer around to ask why they did it. It leaves the family and friends in a very sad place with little or no answers.

I think the psychological reasons behind taking your own life are too complex to either call it "brave" or "cowardly".

In Shipman's case maybe the thought of facing life in prison seem too cr*p to endure.

Originally posted by max

As to his actual death, I think it's a shame that he will not be available as a guinea pig for studies into the human psyche and genetic build up. Keeping such as Shipman alive might allow future geneticists, perhaps, to determine whether there was a genetic fingerprint which could identify serious personality disorders.

Interesting point max, but why do you think the problem was genetic? Didn't he have a major trauma early in life when his mother died and he ran down the road screaming (or something like that)?

If we follow your strategy through, then where will it end? IMO, genetic fingerprinting is exciting and lucrative for psychologists, psychiatrists and pharmaceutical (sp?) companies to explore, but probably not much real world use for others.

Originally posted by Abdul

Interesting point max, but why do you think the problem was genetic? Didn't he have a major trauma early in life when his mother died and he ran down the road screaming (or something like that)?

If we follow your strategy through, then where will it end? IMO, genetic fingerprinting is exciting and lucrative for psychologists, psychiatrists and pharmaceutical (sp?) companies to explore, but probably not much real world use for others.

It was only a for instance suggestion Abdul as a reason to mourn his death. The more live serial killers we have under observation, either by geneticists or other -ists, the more we will discover about thier motivation/defects/needs and, hopefully, the more we can identify them sooner.

If you read as many psychological thrillers as I, if fact you may, I don't know, you would read about the profile work done on serial killers in an effort to identify them as quickly as possible. The more data available the higher the chance of a correct profile.

I think the problem with serial killers is normally psychological which is why I can't stand the press reporting the death of serial killers with jubilation. I think serial killers should be getting our sympathy more than our hatred, because there is no doubt serial killers are mentally ill.

There are different types of serial killers.

All usually have a psychological problem if you go by our standards however not all are a resulted from childhood traumas or brain defects at birth.

There is a new breed of serial killer which has been seen in recent years in the states, celebrity serial killers.

It has been suggested that due to the status being given to high profile serial killers that certain new breed serial killers aren't doing it because they have been abused as children or norn with brain defects.... it's becuase they want the so called 'glory' that the serial killer status brings. The thrill of the chase by the police and when they're finally caught the media attention.

I have several books on profiling serials killers, talking with serial killers, why some killers leav a tell tale signature on purpose and what creates a serial killer. It's interesting when you try to get in to the mind of these people and why they do what they do.

However I'd never pity a serial killer! Never!

Originally posted by DaBouncer

It has been suggested that due to the status being given to high profile serial killers that certain new breed serial killers aren't doing it because they have been abused as children or norn with brain defects.... it's becuase they want the so called 'glory' that the serial killer status brings. The thrill of the chase by the police and when they're finally caught the media attention.

That's still a pshcological disorder though, you can't tell me that anyone in their right mind would want to become a serial killer?

Please see the first part of my post:

By DB

There are different types of serial killers.

All usually have a psychological problem if you go by our standards

Also who's to say what's the 'right mind' to want to become a serial killer. The fact is they WANT the limelight. They know they aint gonna get it in the movies... what's easier... what doesn't require training and luck of the draw?

I know, killing people!

That's how some these glory killers now think! Whether or not that should be pittied... well it's up to the individual. I wouldn't pity them though. Study em YES, pity... no!

Archived