Harold Shipman found dead in cell

Thanks DaB for your answer

Again I make no judgement and merely pose the question

Is it cowardly to kill yourself, or does it require bravery?

A very close, very dear friend of mine killed herself in 1995 in a room in my house

You will know that I suffered from guilt, remorse and extreme anger, all at once

Is that the easy way out?

I dont think I could ever bring myself to do it

Could you do it?

I dont know, I only seek to understand

Easy way out for harrold (that's the terminology I mean)

However for someone who isn't a murderer it would take a severe psychological issue (or several) to make someone go to those lengths.

Could I do it? Depends really.... you never know what life throws at you to make you do things like that.

Im curious to see how the media deal with it over the next day or so. They have a way of so obviously NOT saying the things on everyone's mind, that sometimes it becomes offensive.

Do you think he decided on suicide mainly because

1)He felt so remorseful

or

2)He felt so bad about his sentence and environment.

Originally posted by Belle

At this stage I offer no thoughts and no judgements

But I would like to ask this one question

Q: For those of you who believe in the death penalty, I would be interested in how you feel today knowing that this mass murderer is dead.

Are you glad he is dead, because he deserved to die, or are you angry that he is dead because it didnt happen by official hands

As I say I only ask the question, there is no pre-ordained agenda here. I am merely curious.

In general my position over the last year has changed and I no longer advocate the death penalty, but I shall answer anyway If that is ok?

I can't say I am sorry to hear about Shipmans death. I feel for the families who were clinging on to some hope that he may one day talk about how and why he did what he did. Shipman was never ever going to get out so he wasn't there to be reformed he was there to be punished. It now seems as though Shipman either found prison too tough to handle or felt guilt for what he had done and decided to take his own life.

It's interesting to note the sudden change in the way this is being reported. Initially, every report referred to suicide but now that the press have found out that his lawyer was appealing against conviction and that there is to be an investigation it's now 'alleged' that he committed suicide.

I find it hard to believe that he was 'assisted' in any way but there must still be that tiny doubt that there was someone else in his cell, imo.

As to his actual death, I think it's a shame that he will not be available as a guinea pig for studies into the human psyche and genetic build up. Keeping such as Shipman alive might allow future geneticists, perhaps, to determine whether there was a genetic fingerprint which could identify serious personality disorders.

Hmmmm although amusing, I feel in pretty poor taste there Max.

Almost as bad as the T-Shirt I saw with a picture of Dr Shipman holding a can of Dr Pepper (but the can actually said Dr Shimpan instead of pepper).

Underneath the slogan said: "What's the worst that could happen".

Originally posted by DaBouncer

Hmmmm although amusing, I feel in pretty poor taste there Max.

Almost as bad as the T-Shirt I saw with a picture of Dr Shipman holding a can of Dr Pepper (but the can actually said Dr Shimpan instead of pepper).

Underneath the slogan said: "What's the worst that could happen".

I'd be very wary of being an arbiter of taste with PIMP Daddy as your logo.:D

Archived