Royal Hallamshire & the A floor cafe.

we should have a café area like the one at chesterfield with 3 to choose from and tables in the middle it works well at callow.

Perhaps the NHS and Social Care budgets should be amalgamated? That could put a stop to the wrangling about who pays for what.

Steady on with the progressive ideas, there!

Sheffield Hospitals are striving to protect the public.

There has been an issue with a failure with hygiene checks I believe. People have voted with their feet - the prices had become ridiculous and the choice of products available was extremely limited.

They were also not able to open at times that patients and visitors needed the service - sometimes not at all.

It's always best to get the full story before you post and make yourself look foolish.

The Sheffield Star must be short of a story.

There are plenty more outlets available within NGH anyway to make up for the 'loss' of this outlet.

Regards

Edited by Daven

Here we go Daven the troll always at the ready!! Its got nothing to do the Sheffield Star its got everything to do with STH grabbing more money and putting money making first

The WRVS have always been popular in Sheffield hospitals and have done a fantastic job all with volunteers and they are now being thrown out with the rubbish Bring on the Costa Coffee shops who no doubt will be filling their space and their profit margins whilst putting zilch back into the hospital community Next they will be replacing the tea trolley on the wards selling their wares to sick patients . I hope the WRVS severe all ties with the greedy STH

Guest makapaka
Here we go Daven the troll always at the ready!! Its got nothing to do the Sheffield Star its got everything to do with STH grabbing more money and putting money making first

The WRVS have always been popular in Sheffield hospitals and have done a fantastic job all with volunteers and they are now being thrown out with the rubbish Bring on the Costa Coffee shops who no doubt will be filling their space and their profit margins whilst putting zilch back into the hospital community Next they will be replacing the tea trolley on the wards selling their wares to sick patients . I hope the WRVS severe all ties with the greedy STH

Maybe they need the money - you know to put towards making people better and that.

Sheffield Hospitals are striving to protect the public.

There has been an issue with a failure with hygiene checks I believe. People have voted with their feet - the prices had become ridiculous and the choice of products available was extremely limited.

They were also not able to open at times that patients and visitors needed the service - sometimes not at all.

It's always best to get the full story before you post and make yourself look foolish.

The Sheffield Star must be short of a story.

There are plenty more outlets available within NGH anyway to make up for the 'loss' of this outlet.

Regards

Give me the AMT coffee shop any day...

Maybe they need the money - you know to put towards making people better and that.

Could not have put it better myself.

Really dont know what the other poster is getting at. "Greedy STH..." they cry. Damn right they are greedy. They are a major hospital trust in the bottomless financial pit that is the NHS. They need to ensure they have every possible income and reduce every possible outgoing they can.

Yes, the voluntary cafes have done great work but the fact is times have moved on. Volunteer services always has a major flaw. Its staffed by volunteers. Volunteers who may not want to or can be available to provide a more flexible and improved service that us consumers demand these days.

Plenty of other opportunities for people to keep volunteering in and around the hospitals for those who want to.

Fact is the overall WRVS tendered fairly and squarely - they unfortunately lost.

Edited by ECCOnoob

You need to make your mind up. Either STH are greedy and taking every penny they can get, or the new operators will be maximising their profit margins and putting nothing back. I don’t think you can have it both ways.

Anyway, STH probably want a professional service for their clients. That’s all.

Didn't a similar thing happen recently where hospital transport volunteers were given the heave-ho to be replaced by City Cars? How did that all work out? How did this go down with service users?

Is this Sheffield Trust's decision to usher in privatisation of such services or is it a national one?

I am surprised that Daven is so welcoming of privatisation within the NHS.

---------- Post added 07-02-2018 at 05:15 ----------

Anyway, STH probably want a professional service for their clients. That’s all.

Are you absolutely sure of this? How is STH going to measure client satisfaction? By money in the coffers, or by actually listening to service users? I hear that at least one hospital welcomed a McDonald's on site. No one can say that they aren't a very popular and lucrative enterprise.

Edited by Lex Luthor

Didn't a similar thing happen recently where hospital transport volunteers were given the heave-ho to be replaced by City Cars? How did that all work out? How did this go down with service users?

Is this Sheffield Trust's decision to usher in privatisation of such services or is it a national one?

I am surprised that Daven is so welcoming of privatisation within the NHS.

---------- Post added 07-02-2018 at 05:15 ----------

Are you absolutely sure of this? How is STH going to measure client satisfaction? By money in the coffers, or by actually listening to service users? I hear that at least one hospital welcomed a McDonald's on site. No one can say that they aren't a very popular and lucrative enterprise.

Genuine questions here..how much did the cafe cost the Health Authority to run ? (hygiene checks equipment,cleaning etc) I assume any company running this from now on would be expected to pay for the privilege..isn't cash what the NHS needs at the moment?

I don't know about the NGH but at the RHH the volunteer run shops always close about 15 minutes before their marked closing time which in itself is about an hour before outpatient appointments finish. Its ALWAYS closed when I'm desperate for a snack/coffee after a late appointment.

So if Costa means later opening times I can only see this as a plus for patients and visitors.

Obviously I'm not going to sing praises of higher prices, but if the alternative is not having any service at all.....