Royal Hallamshire & the A floor cafe.

That's a little unfortunate since there are huge and exciting changes in the pipeline within STH and the RHH doesn't figure very much in any of them.

The RHH building is old and outdated and not fit for purpose in the 21st century.

But Daven, wouldn't you call the state of the art operating theatres that are opening on Q floor soon a huge and exciting change?

If nothing else, this thread has prompted me to find the source of the names of the NGH wings.

Benjamin Huntsman - Inventor of crucible steel

Mark Firth - Largest rolling mill, "big gun" development, Master Cutler, Mayor of Sheffield, philanthropist

James Chesterman - Inventor and developer of precise tools and measuring devices

Edward Vickers - Successful foundry owner, Mayor of Sheffield and first President of Sheffield Chamber of Commerce

Henry Clifton Sorby - "Father of Metallurgy"

Sir Samuel Osborn - Steelmaker credited with many industrial improvements

Harry Brearley - Inventor of stainless steel

Edited by cgksheff

But Daven, wouldn't you call the state of the art operating theatres that are opening on Q floor soon a huge and exciting change?

Not really :confused:

---------- Post added 13-10-2017 at 10:11 ----------

If nothing else, this thread has prompted me to find the source of the names of the NGH wings.

Benjamin Huntsman - Inventor of crucible steel

Mark Firth - Largest rolling mill, "big gun" development, Master Cutler, Mayor of Sheffield, philanthropist

James Chesterman - Inventor and developer of precise tools and measuring devices

Edward Vickers - Successful foundry owner, Mayor of Sheffield and first President of Sheffield Chamber of Commerce

Henry Clifton Sorby - "Father of Metallurgy"

Sir Samuel Osborn - Steelmaker credited with many industrial improvements

Harry Brearley - Inventor of stainless steel

Indeed - I've always thought the naming of the different buildings to be a wonderful idea. It links Sheffields past with the present .

Edited by Daven

Not really :confused:

---------- Post added 13-10-2017 at 10:11 ----------

Indeed - I've always thought the naming of the different buildings to be a wonderful idea. It links Sheffields past with the present .

Why on earth not? It will dramatically reduce the time patients stay in hospital, by spending millions in the very latest technology & techniques.

Why on earth not? It will dramatically reduce the time patients stay in hospital, by spending millions in the very latest technology & techniques.

I don't find it 'exciting' but I'm pleased that the RHH is now having their facilities improved to the standard of other local hospitals.

Will it? What about social care infrastructure to facilitate timely discharge?

Indeed it does but the NGH houses the major trauma centre for the city . How can a place that treats critically ill people be anything but 'grim'?

By grim, I meant it looked unloved. Poor lighting, marked walls, a bit dingy. All of which gave me the impression of not being looked after. Not an impression I want when visiting a hospital.

Clearly, they have more pressing budget requirements, and I fully understand that, but nevertheless, that was the impression I got.

I had reason to visit a hospital in a town in Denmark. Clearly, they were under far less pressure than a major city hospital. It was a new building, bright and airy, and I was left with a very positive impression.

Will it? What about social care infrastructure to facilitate timely discharge?

Not an expert on social care. I can only comment on what I have been given information on. I.e. the theatres.

Not an expert on social care. I can only comment on what I have been given information on. I.e. the theatres.

You don't need to be an expert. I'm just making the point that spending millions on theatres won't necessarily reduce the length of stay, if the patient needs support to go home because they've had an operation...

Rotherham DGH has a Costa, M&S food and Boots, as well as a florist and a dress shop. If the income helps the hospital, then IMO it's a good move.

Perhaps the NHS should move forward with the times.

Buy Meadowhall, and attach a hospital to it :):hihi:

You don't need to be an expert. I'm just making the point that spending millions on theatres won't necessarily reduce the length of stay, if the patient needs support to go home because they've had an operation...

Perhaps the NHS and Social Care budgets should be amalgamated? That could put a stop to the wrangling about who pays for what.

Perhaps the NHS should move forward with the times.

The NHS is stuck in the past and not fit for the 21st century, according to the new chief inspector of NHS hospitals.

He says the NHS missed its chance to modernise during the Labour years and is still using a model of care from the 1960s.

[Source: Guardian]