Sheffield Forum

The Birdwell magic roundabout. Now fully open

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

18-09-2017, 14:30   #1
PeteMorris
Reason-ablyNear

Total Posts: 15,588
Yep I know it's not 'strictly' Sheffield...But hey.

First Monday morning when the shenanigans surrounding the disruption and diversions in and around the Birdwell magic roundabout at junction 36 of the M1 is fully open.

I found it a bit of a nightmare, not knowing which lane I needed to be in. The number of traffic lights you need to negotiate, seemed to me to be a lot over the top.

I'm pretty sure, it was actually open on Friday too....I'm not sure if they haven't quite sorted out the light sequencing, but the traffic hold-ups were horrendous, with traffic tailing back well onto the motorway carriageway on the approach to Northbound junction 36.

I don't really see what all the work has actually achieved?
Or am I just a moaning old sod?

Anyone any thoughts?
_______
It's almost like juggling fried eggs!
18-09-2017, 15:33   #2
choogling

Total Posts: 2,994
There was nothing wrong with the layout as it was, I use it regularly and have never been held up for no more than a few minutes until this work started . What the advantage is or was supposed to be is beyond me, the works must have cost millions, all wasted.
18-09-2017, 15:37   #3
PeteMorris
Reason-ablyNear

The traffic hold-ups on Friday were a nightmare...However this 'may' have been the additional problems I heard on the Woodhead Pass, which stretched all the way across the Moors...So it 'may' have exacerbated the problems. I'll see what it's like in rush hour this evening...If it's still a problem, then it's definitely a safety issue with traffic backing up actually on the motorway carriageway, not just the slip-road...
_______
18-09-2017, 15:39   #4
DnAuK

Total Posts: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMorris View Post
Yep I know it's not 'strictly' Sheffield...But hey.

First Monday morning when the shenanigans surrounding the disruption and diversions in and around the Birdwell magic roundabout at junction 36 of the M1 is fully open.

I found it a bit of a nightmare, not knowing which lane I needed to be in. The number of traffic lights you need to negotiate, seemed to me to be a lot over the top.

I'm pretty sure, it was actually open on Friday too....I'm not sure if they haven't quite sorted out the light sequencing, but the traffic hold-ups were horrendous, with traffic tailing back well onto the motorway carriageway on the approach to Northbound junction 36.

I don't really see what all the work has actually achieved?
Or am I just a moaning old sod?

Anyone any thoughts?
I come this way to work every day. Friday evening was a joke. I can only hope they have the lights sorted out tonight. Things seemed ok this morning, but that was before 7am when traffic was still fairly light.

From the perspective of moving traffic through I think the project has failed. It certainly is no better than it was. But then you have to appreciate that around this area is supposed to grow a large industrial park, which will need access/ And in that respect it was probably necessary. Although when the big waggons start to arrive to construct said park, I will probably find another way to and from work...
_______
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then you will lose on experience.
18-09-2017, 15:44   #5
geared

Total Posts: 12,236
That roundabout has always been a mess, as soon as traffic backs up onto it the whole thing becomes a massive traffic jam.

You can't have jams stretching onto a busy motorway, it's just unacceptable.
18-09-2017, 15:51   #6
PeteMorris
Reason-ablyNear

Quote:
Originally Posted by geared View Post
That roundabout has always been a mess, as soon as traffic backs up onto it the whole thing becomes a massive traffic jam.

You can't have jams stretching onto a busy motorway, it's just unacceptable.
As I said, I'll see what it's like tonight...and if it's still a nightmare, I'll have to contact someone (not sure who yet) ....
_______
18-09-2017, 16:23   #7
geared

Total Posts: 12,236
Highways agency I assume, those lights were never amazingly reliable anyway though.

I really hope they didn't set the traffic light timing during the school holiday period when no-one was around - can't be that silly surely??
18-09-2017, 16:30   #8
PeteMorris
Reason-ablyNear

Quote:
Originally Posted by geared View Post
Highways agency I assume, those lights were never amazingly reliable anyway though.

I really hope they didn't set the traffic light timing during the school holiday period when no-one was around - can't be that silly surely??
The existing lights they had I agree were never too reliable, but now there's half a dozen maybe more sets of lights in the mix.
_______
20-09-2017, 08:35   #9
Hook

Total Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMorris View Post
The traffic hold-ups on Friday were a nightmare...However this 'may' have been the additional problems I heard on the Woodhead Pass, which stretched all the way across the Moors...So it 'may' have exacerbated the problems. I'll see what it's like in rush hour this evening...If it's still a problem, then it's definitely a safety issue with traffic backing up actually on the motorway carriageway, not just the slip-road...
There was an incident on the m62, with two/three hour delays getting across the Pennines that way. The queue for J35A was as far back as Chapeltown.

On this occasion it was nothing to do with the new roundabout layout. The new layout is all to do with future developments in the area and itís need will become clear as lots of new industrial units pop
Up.
Reply To Topic