Names of "houses" in Sheffield schools

I wonder who got the job of deciding the names....

I went to charnock school where the houses were named after famous people of days gone by

CHANTREY (red)

NIGHTINGALE (yellow) the best one - especially at the relay race on sports day

BRINDLEY (green or blue)

HARDWICK (green or blue) who cares which was which because they never won anything anyway!!

anybody else remember charnock school ?

when i was at woodbournroad school we had planets4 our house groups

when i went to maltby comp i was in rearsby (or sumit like it) but cant remeber the others

Litha

Hurlfield boys in the 60,s had Anson,Nelson,Beatty and rodney as their school houses.

I think Shiregreen Sec Mod was...North ,South, East,West...if it wasn't "Little Malc" will correct me( Because he has a better memory than me).

I went to Shiregreen Secondary Modern and we had Nightingale, Scot, Edison and Wellington.

at the central technical school the houses were ,Bessemer,Stephenson,Faraday , and Telford

Originally posted by Timbuck

I think Shiregreen Sec Mod was...North ,South, East,West...if it wasn't "Little Malc" will correct me( Because he has a better memory than me).

I REMEMBER NOW NORTH SOUTH ETC: WAS THE JUNIOR SHOOL HOUSES, AND I WAS CAPTAIN OF SOUTH FOR A SHORT WHILE, UNTILL I GOT CAUGHT OUT FIDDLING THE HOUSE POINTS..SHAME SHAME SHAME ON ME..WELL I WAS ONLY 9.

Originally posted by mojo

Myers Grove in the sixties was commonwealth country names

India

Ghana

Canada

Australia

It was that way when I was there too (80's). Which one was red? I think I was in that one...

Also - Walkley Junior School...think it was Lancaster, York, Stuart and Tudor.

I think I went to the same school as you:--the one and only Pomona Street----more upmarket than St. Matthias but overshadowed by Hunter's Bar.

I remember Porter House was always the best , mainly as it contained,by pure chance the creme de la creme,including myself as it happens.I think you were in Rivelin as I recall?

Yes, although we were often beaten unmercifully and screamed at by Miss Lofthouse and although we had to crowd round the radiators in Winter --or freeze to death and although we had to play football [and indeed all games ] on a sort of red,sharp shale---they were halcyon days,wot ?

Many names come flooding back-----Mr. Renshaw,the cricket fanatic,Mr. Hughes reading out the number of local kids killed or maimed on the roads each week : Miss Havenhand,presidig over her little charges like an alert and malicious eagle ; Mr Wragg,prematurely grey through trying to get as many kids as possible off to Grammar schools.The caretaker,a nasty man---Mr.Theaker,who I think hated kids or at least regarded them as just a bloody nuisance----and the less said about the cleaning attendant at Glossop Road baths the better .

Must go now---no jaguar for me,unfortunately--we working classes have to make do with clapped--out ferraris.Still,musn't grumble---there's a war on----they say---them what knows.

Originally posted by headup

It was that way when I was there too (80's). Which one was red? I think I was in that one...

Also - Walkley Junior School...think it was Lancaster, York, Stuart and Tudor.

same in the 70s ,not sure but i seem to remember canada being red.

i used to go to walkley juniors in the 60s but cannot remember house names,i can remember a mr hill some sort of head teacher very anti beatles, always stopping the singing in assembly to tell us its "love" not "luv" probably another liberal :loopy:

Carter Lodge in the 60's.... Unicorn, Griffin, Pheonix and Pegasus..............all mythical beasts. Don't recall colours???