Film and Music Piracy

donuticus

Is the illegal copying and distribution of copy-written material acceptable ?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Is the illegal copying and distribution of copy-written material acceptable ?

• Yes
    • No

Against it.

I'm a musician who has written and recorded his own material since 1983. I believe my songs are my property and if anyone wanted to play them on air (yeh..., like!!) then I believe I'm entitled to the royalties.

Whilst I can see the point mentioned above that sometimes gaining access to a song illegally might lead to a bona fide purchase in the future, the practise is nothing short of theft.

There are indeed many mega-rich musicians out there, but that is certainly not the case lower down the ladder. What about the lesser known groups who rely on income from royalties in order to make a living?

IMO the songwriter is getting what is rightfully his.

As an artist, if you were to release a cd are you against me buying it, thinking "this is really good" and putting it on a compilation cd for a friend to listen to?

For me, there are many cds i would have bought if i hadn't heard them else where. If i hear something i like then i'll buy that album and, like Longcol says, probably the rest of the back catalog.

Would you be in favour of the BPI collecting a blanket broadband tax to compensate artists and legalising downloading?

RE: Digital Music Stores

I am one of the many who used to use AllOfMP3 - I am perfectly happy to pay for downloaded music. I do resent the prices that on-line music stores charge for tracks though. To buy an album on itunes often costs more than to buy the cd, and this for an inferior quality product (its laden with DRM, and the music is lossy). For compressed tracks (with no distribution costs to the artists/labels) the maximum price i am prepared to pay is 40/50p a track.

RE: DRM

As to adding prohibitive digital restrictions management that tell me what i can do with my legally acquired music, thats rubbish! I should be able to tape it to listen to in the car, i should be able to format shift it to listen to on my ipod.

</RANT>

b

Against it.

I'm a musician who has written and recorded his own material since 1983. I believe my songs are my property and if anyone wanted to play them on air (yeh..., like!!) then I believe I'm entitled to the royalties.

Whilst I can see the point mentioned above that sometimes gaining access to a song illegally might lead to a bona fide purchase in the future, the practise is nothing short of theft.

There are indeed many mega-rich musicians out there, but that is certainly not the case lower down the ladder. What about the lesser known groups who rely on income from royalties in order to make a living?

IMO the songwriter is getting what is rightfully his.

with respect dude.........it aint theft, i wouldnt be taking anything off you.

if i didnt "copy it" i more than likely wouldnt be buying it, so either way your getting no money off me

disclaimer: thats hypathetical, dont think ive ever knowingly copied any of ousetunes music :P

The law sees it as theft - and music is not public property, it's the property of the author and artist. The growth of the internet has blurred the lines on copyright, but eventually either there'll be a clampdown or a complete relaxation of copyright laws.

if i didnt "copy it" i more than likely wouldnt be buying it, so either way your getting no money off me

disclaimer: thats hypathetical, dont think ive ever knowingly copied any of ousetunes music :P

I have to disagree with you on that. Although I do copy music I am aware that it is theft of sorts and Ousetunes is right to say that he expects something for his efforts, how much is matter for conjecture.

I have to disagree with you on that. Although I do copy music I am aware that it is theft of sorts and Ousetunes is right to say that he expects something for his efforts, how much is matter for conjecture.

what im saying is

if i copy his music he gets no money

if i dont copy his music he may still not get owt as i can only afford / have space to store the music i really really like

so either way you can look at it as hes losing out, or not losing out

but i wouldnt be stealing it as hes not losing the music (as a thing) and not losing out on money as i wouldnt be buying anyway

does that make sense?

If any up and coming musician wants to get his tracks into the public eye, all he's got to do is do what the likes of the Sheriff of Nottingham's Daughter, Lily's done, get an account on Myspace.com and upload their songs to there.

That's how she got a recording deal iirc and started releasing proper singles in the shops (and I've bought all both of 'em)