Film and Music Piracy

donuticus

Is the illegal copying and distribution of copy-written material acceptable ?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Is the illegal copying and distribution of copy-written material acceptable ?

• Yes
    • No

Fully agree. Hasn't Robbie Williams new CD been made so that it can not be used in a computer therefore cannot be copied? Is this the future? Lilly Allen who was discovered on the Internet lets you listen to her music for free on her website, and seems to be earning plenty of money.

As with the Arctic Monkeys. The fat one who left before they hit the ground running must be kicking himself now.

Not if you're filesharing films in the same way as you share music - there's no Del Boy middle-man at all.

I take your point Banjo - as it happens I don't have any films in any format at home - I'd rarely have the time to watch them. If I do, it's off to the pictures for me.

Personally i prefer to buy the real thing .I don't have a problem with people copying Cd's / DVDs to use in their own home it's their choice , although this time of year you can see pirate Cd's etc being sold on the street that's wrong more than likely there crap and people who buy them are wasting their money is it theft yes it is . And i do know someone who makes an obscene amount of money doing it ,should i report him/her ?.

Against it.

I'm a musician who has written and recorded his own material since 1983. I believe my songs are my property and if anyone wanted to play them on air (yeh..., like!!) then I believe I'm entitled to the royalties.

Whilst I can see the point mentioned above that sometimes gaining access to a song illegally might lead to a bona fide purchase in the future, the practise is nothing short of theft.

There are indeed many mega-rich musicians out there, but that is certainly not the case lower down the ladder. What about the lesser known groups who rely on income from royalties in order to make a living?

IMO the songwriter is getting what is rightfully his.

I strongly disagree with film piracy, but as long as it's £6 a time to go and see a film at the Pictures, and £14-15 to buy a DVD, it will always be there because some people can't afford or are too much of a cheapskate to pay these kind of prices, that's where the temptation to get copied stuff comes in cos it's a lot cheaper, what they don't realise though is that it's cheaper yes, but it's inferior quality, imagine someone concealing a camera at the Pictures to copy some film, and then during the film somebody in the front row gets up to go to the loo, they're going to end up in the shot aren't they cos they got up?!

If you wait for proper films released on legal DVDs, sure it's more expensive but it's a better quality (even if it's a pants film like any of the Lord of the Rings trilogy for example) and more satisfying to watch IMO.

Music piracy's the same, OK yeah singles are £2-3 in most shops, but albums are still up to a tenner a time, and who's gonna pay that when they can get it for a fiver or less from Dodgy Dave down the Markets?!

I strongly disagree with film piracy, but as long as it's £6 a time to go and see a film at the Pictures, and £14-15 to buy a DVD, it will always be there because some people can't afford or are too much of a cheapskate to pay these kind of prices, that's where the temptation to get copied stuff comes in cos it's a lot cheaper, what they don't realise though is that it's cheaper yes, but it's inferior quality, imagine someone concealing a camera at the Pictures to copy some film, and then during the film somebody in the front row gets up to go to the loo, they're going to end up in the shot aren't they cos they got up?!

If you wait for proper films released on legal DVDs, sure it's more expensive but it's a better quality (even if it's a pants film like any of the Lord of the Rings trilogy for example) and more satisfying to watch IMO.

I have never watched a telecine (filmed in cinema) copy of a film, purely because there is absolutely no way of getting a good recording. On the other hand, when its £15 to buy a DVD or download a dvd-ripped copy for free, I can see why a lot of people pick the latter.

I wouldn't bother with copied dvds, they are generally poor quality. Music I have downloaded from p2p sites on tinterweb has been ok in the main and the quality has been as good as genuine version, I've not had any virus issues (yet).

I sympathise with someone who may be a struggling artist but I would imagine that the piracy doesn't affect them as much because their work isn't as widely available as so called big stars. It's the same as any job though, if you go into it to make a living you have to consider the negatives and this is one of them.

Gordon Brown will have a hidden agenda with his knew legislation to clamp down on illegal copying as he does with all his ideas. In this case he is probably trying to get the big names on his side to publicly endorse his policies.

I notice he doesn't clamp down on big companies who do smaller businesses out of work by offering services at knock down prices.

Fully agree. Hasn't Robbie Williams new CD been made so that it can not be used in a computer therefore cannot be copied? Is this the future? Lilly Allen who was discovered on the Internet lets you listen to her music for free on her website, and seems to be earning plenty of money.

haven't you seen these mp3's kicking around that has top 40 albums on and there is even one that has every release on for that week!!!

i'm for the copied dvd/music/console games...

at the end of the day why pay the money they ask in the shops for them like xbox 360 games when you can get them for £5 that work perfectly just like they have been bought from a shop,same with dvd £15-£20 form a shop or £3 for exactly the same thing!!!if you no where to look you can get copies to the same quality as to witch are sold in the high street and usually weeks before the uk release date!!!

a pennie saved is a pennie earnt!!!