Film and Music Piracy

donuticus

Is the illegal copying and distribution of copy-written material acceptable ?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Is the illegal copying and distribution of copy-written material acceptable ?

• Yes
    • No

Haven't taken part in the poll;

My honest opinion -

Music - the present 50 year copyright is OK. McCartney, Bono etc etc have more than enough money to leave to their kids and grandkids to keep them well rich for life.

Extending it further? Seems like they want to set up future generations as some kind of aristocracy.

Which gets back to the present day - and it isn't a simple yes or no. I've infringed copyright (for my own personal use) - but would I have for instance bought the last three albums by the Red Hot Chili Peppers if I hadn't (illegally) downloaded "Under the Bridge".

For music my view would tend towards that if it's for your own consumption then it should be OK - but you shouldn't be able to sell it on.

Haven't got a particular view on films apart from saying that watching a film on the big screen in the cinema beats watching something on your TV hands down. My experience is that very few people actually download films ( big bandwidth and fast connection needed) but quite a lot of dodgy DVD's on sale - but still nigh on record number of people going to the cinema.

Ok please observe forum rules about not naming places where copies of copy-written works can be obtained.

Do people see this as theft or are we still in the realms of its ok im only stealing from a company ?

Opinions please.

Well my opinion is if you can get something for nothing in the comfort of your own home rather than missioning to town to pay 18 quid, then i know which option id choose, these companies make millions as it is so a few copied cds ere and dere arnt gonna make much difference, i,ll never pay for a cd ever again lol

Getting copied/pirated music doesn't trouble me one iota. Must things I have downloaded which I wouldn't have bought otherwise so they haven't lost anything. The fact that the artists who lose out by this are often so fantastically wealthy in relation to the amount of effort required to produce music and films hardly makes me feel guilty about it. They should share more of the proceeds with the lower echelons or their industries and not use litigation to get the money.

It is unfortunate that in their greed they have used a medium which is so easy to copy, that is their own fault for trying to make them on the cheap in the first place, it was much harder to copy LPs and tapes and transfer them around the world.

No sympathy whatsoever.

If it's music by artists I really love and respect then I always try and buy it first - and I have very obscure tastes. If it's something that's impossible to get hold of in the shops or via internet distributors, then I'll DL it. Films and TV shows are a different matter - these are produced (usually) by huge corporations... indie films, low-budget comedy shows etc are exceptions and I'll fork out for the DVD.

Getting copied/pirated music doesn't trouble me one iota. Must things I have downloaded which I wouldn't have bought otherwise so they haven't lost anything. The fact that the artists who lose out by this are often so fantastically wealthy in relation to the amount of effort required to produce music and films hardly makes me feel guilty about it. They should share more of the proceeds with the lower echelons or their industries and not use litigation to get the money.

It is unfortunate that in their greed they have used a medium which is so easy to copy, that is their own fault for trying to make them on the cheap in the first place, it was much harder to copy LPs and tapes and transfer them around the world.

No sympathy whatsoever.

Fully agree. Hasn't Robbie Williams new CD been made so that it can not be used in a computer therefore cannot be copied? Is this the future? Lilly Allen who was discovered on the Internet lets you listen to her music for free on her website, and seems to be earning plenty of money.

I'll admit to using filesharing programmes to acquire music by artists I like - this maight be technically illegal in some cases, but I think the artistes concerned can benefit from this directly and indirectly (Monkey's anyone?).

I have no truck whatsoever with pirated DVD's or the like - at best you're lining the pockets of a Delboy style chancer and at worst you're funding major organised crime syndicates.

I have no truck whatsoever with pirated DVD's or the like - at best you're lining the pockets of a Delboy style chancer and at worst you're funding major organised crime syndicates.

Not if you're filesharing films in the same way as you share music - there's no Del Boy middle-man at all.