Redgates toy shop - Who remembers it?

Red gates was great

red gates was fab

if mum said no run n ask dad

if I was good I`d get a small treat

but if I`d been bad wait till next week

we never had much money when I was a kid but my mum used to take me up to redgates just before xmas, it was the high light of my year. will there ever be anything like it again, I don't think so!

Oh Redgates ! Brilliant! Used to go in there on a Saturday morning with my mum and always ended up in the doll dept. I was doll mad and it was like being in paradise! My favorites were the Sasha dolls (they looked like real kids with lovely dark skin) and I've spent hours looking at them. Never got one though cause they were quite expensive and we just didn't have the money in those days. (they are now available on ebay and keep thinking I should get one for my little girl). Another memory I have of Redgates was going in with my mate and getting stuck in the lift. We ended up at the top floor in the stock room and couldn't get back down! We must have only been there for about 10 minutes but it seemed to go on for hours!

2 people so far who have been stuck in lift at Redgates! Did this happen regular?

2 people so far who have been stuck in lift at Redgates! Did this happen regular?

I was just thinking the same - But, I think it's just something that happens to me! Got stuck in Primark's lift a few weeks ago!

I was just thinking the same - But, I think it's just something that happens to me! Got stuck in Primark's lift a few weeks ago!

I used to live on the old Hyde Park Flats (before they were refurbished) as a young kid and I remember stuck in lift a few times on them flats but never anywere else.

Yep, got my first skateboard from Redgates - red with a picture of a surfer on it and blue wheels - felt every bump of gravel on the road, useless it was.

I crashed it into a tree on the day of the Hillsborough disaster if memory serves me.

I remember Redgates, wasn't the lift in the shape of a rocket?

I remember the fabulous Santas Grottos there every year

I loved Redgates, and later Hamleys on the Moor... Bought most of my old Star Wars figures from there, and met some scary bloke dressed as Hordak from the old He Man and She Ra cartoons there when I went in one Saturday with my Nan some time in, 1984 iirc... I was only about 7 or 8 at the time anyway.