Redgates toy shop - Who remembers it?

Originally posted by algy

No you're dead right , it was opposite the S&E. My Gran lived on Clarence Street, and we used to go to see her on a Saturday, get off the bus at Moorhead and walk down, last stop for me was Redgates, then round the corner to Gran's. You and me must be the same generation Greybeard, these youngsters can't go back before the sixties!

Thanks for the back-up Algy, - I was beginning to doubt my memory, - as you do after a certain age :D

It would be around 1945/6 that I first entered Redgates and I distincly remember where it was, but I'll check with a directory of the period next time I'm in the library. The move to Sunwin House must have happened whilst I was living away from Sheffield [1957-1976].

The original shop I believe was at Moorhead and got bombed out during the blitz.

redgates toy shop one of the true toy shops this city as ever seen, I use to go in there with my dad I was aged about 8 years old then and go and look at the model railways thats was the start of my passion for the railways. one christmas I went in there with my grandad & grandma and 2 of my uncles was in there shopping nobody said anything to me but they were laiden down with presents any way going round the shop, my grandad looked at the trains sets and he just smiled at my grandma he must have been very quick because when we came out he had got one of the biggest presents under is arm I had ever seen and as it was just one week to go before christmas day everything had gone to santa and it would be back on christmas morning, on that day I had the biggest shock of my life when I woke up we use to live in a 2 bedroom house down the cliffe then with a attic bedroom, my grandad and my dad and my uncles all took me upstairs to the attic and there in front of me was the biggest train layout I had seen in all my life that was my christmas present from all my family and there was bags all with redgates on them full of loco's rolling stock stations everything I could have wished for, I use to go to redgates every saturday after that and buy things for my layout, now I have progressed on the bigger loco's and if I had the money I would buy a steam loco and name it redgates.

I used to go to Redgates on saturday mornings with my mate's to look at the new players for Subbutteo & there was a West Ham shirt in there too & I would have loved to have got it as they were my 2nd team back then,it was a great toy shop,they don't make them like that no more.

Bigkev mentions railways and I think I'm right in thinking that on the ground floor there was a miniature railway running round the shop, on a track either suspended from the ceiling or an a ledge attached to the wall? Same size as yer average Hornby. I think it went through a couple of tunnels also.

(I just hope I'm not getting too confused with Uncle Sam's Chuck Waggon which I believe still has such a railway.)

My elder brother had all the Subbuteos going, football (with the floodlights), the rugby one and, best of all, the cricket set. I wonder if he's still got them; I'll have to ask.

I think Redgates suffered somewhat after Hamley's came to the Moor. The sad thing being that neither shop lasted much longer, so we went from two decent toy shops to none. Redgates however, was like an old friend, Hamley's, a bit of a trespasser and we, the Sheffield public, lost out again!

I've got such fond memories of my uncle taking me there to choose a toy, when he came back to sheffield from birmingham.

I also spent some of my first weeks wages in redgates, on a talking doll for my youngest sister, 25-odd years ago. it was £20 , then, which was a small fortune.

PT

Originally posted by Greybeard

Thanks for the back-up Algy, - I was beginning to doubt my memory, - as you do after a certain age :D

It would be around 1945/6 that I first entered Redgates and I distincly remember where it was, but I'll check with a directory of the period next time I'm in the library. The move to Sunwin House must have happened whilst I was living away from Sheffield [1957-1976].

The original shop I believe was at Moorhead and got bombed out during the blitz.

That fits with my memories too, I had a vague recollection that the one opposite S&E was somehow temporary. My recollection goes back to the late 40's/early 50's.

I used to love Redgates! I feel quite sad now that I'm not little and it isn't there and I can't go and buy Sindy dolls and tea sets.

Originally posted by Jon

Who remembers the best toy shop in the world Redgates? I bought all my Subbuteo teams at Redgates (now Sunwin House) :D

Yes best toy shop ever including Hamleys of London::D

Ah Redgates, now theres a blast from the past. I remember going there all the time just to look at all the toys and play with any that were out..... well, that's what they were there for......to play with!

I can't exactly remember if it had changed to Zodiac Redgates when they got the Ferrari or Lamboghini in just on the right as you went through the doors!

I was told as a small child that If I saved all my pocket then when I was old enough to drive I could buy it!

Still struggle to save my pocket money and even if I could Redgates is no longer and my childhood dream car is long gone!

Now I'm reasonbly grown up, or at least in the eyes of society the size of car I would need to buy, if it be along the same lines would take a hell of a lot of saving to buy! :(

I remember Redgates, t'was the first place (and may I say, the LAST) place that i ever shoplifted in. I was only about 11 or 12 (1980/81), me and a friend, Richard who lived next door to us on Broomhall Flats, went in nicked a Paul Daniels Magic Trick each, cost about 49p, we did get caught, the police came to speak to us, and our parents called. Richards mum came to collect him, and rather than go home with her, I opted to wait for my mum, who gave me the biggest clout -EVER. Discipline-never did me any harm. I never ever did shoplift again, we both learnt our lesson.

WOW, reading your message has put a huge grin on my face and a tear in my eye. I loved my parents taking me in there in the early 80's. A magical place. Thanks...

Redgates was amazing when i was a kid. I remeber me dad buying my fist bike from there, it was a raleigh burner with mag wheels!!! :D Fantastic memories of that place, i was soooo gutted when i closed down. :sad: