The Job Centre and their silly ways

ok im new to all this ... have worked since leaving school and never claimed owt in my life... so have finally started claiming jobseekers and urgently require work..almost any work.. (mortgage etc..) and they are useless!

first off you go into the place on west street....why bother they tell you to go home and phone them up?? they have about 15 people working there dressed like security guards and armed with 2 leaflets and telephone numbers, what is the point of that building?? waste of space.

bank street.... ok this has a reasonable job search on their computers, but have you tried phoning them?.. forget it, you get bounced around switch boards from one person to another. I need a form to say im claiming job seekers by friday, so i phone up the claim line, no answer all day, try again today..no answer, so i phone up bank street 'oh you have to phone this number' (obviously the one i have been) they explain that they can give me the form but only when i have an appointment (see previous phone number) so im stuck on hold for another day trying to urgently get a hold of the info.

absolutely stupid!

I bet when I get a job and try to tell them it will take weeks to get them to stop paying me and i'll get them phoning me up to say i've been falsely claiming or something. They need to distinguish who WANTS TO WORK and who doesnt, because I saw plenty of people just hanging around and complete dossers who obviously were living off what they got (prob free council accomodation as well). I've applied for about 40 jobs in 2 weeks and the job centre has been responsible for maybe 1 of them.

first off you go into the place on west street....why bother they tell you to go home and phone them up?? they have about 15 people working there dressed like security guards and armed with 2 leaflets and telephone numbers, what is the point of that building?? waste of space.

That was precisely my feelings on it too! I just used the internet, got the phone numbers and reference codes and rang them up! Easy!

I guess its for people who dont have the net... They use the machine, get the code/numbers, then ring them up. But it does all seem a little bit silly to me anyways... Making a job out of nothing... Thats why I refuse to go! (Plus I always think I'm gonna get attacked or something when I go near the place!) :cry:

Its okay theo! I feel your pain! Keep ringing... oh and I know its probably not for you, but I know of a few places taking on waiters, that arent advertising on job centre... PM me and I'll let you know where :P

think im starting a job on monday ....not permanent but might stop my house being repossesed for a few months!

just signed up for a course as I can get it for free...but need to sort it on friday or im prob paying out for it.

Walk in and tell them you want to claim assluym,and you will get all sorts.:)

:hihi: :hihi:

What a ridiculous statement, there are so many posts on here about what asylum seekers can and can't have that you obviously haven't read! Asylum seekers are not allowed to work, they have to live in whichever part of the country they are sent, and they get less in benefits than other people. Some of the people you call asylum seekers may have been born here or lived here for a long time, or may have come here to study, or as economic migrants.

Good luck with your jobsearch Mtheo, I'm sure you'll be successful!

What a ridiculous statement, there are so many posts on here about what asylum seekers can and can't have that you obviously haven't read! Asylum seekers are not allowed to work, they have to live in whichever part of the country they are sent, and they get less in benefits than other people. Some of the people you call asylum seekers may have been born here or lived here for a long time, or may have come here to study, or as economic migrants.

Good luck with your jobsearch Mtheo, I'm sure you'll be successful!

I agree. You clearly know absolutely nothing about asylum seekers.

Walk in and tell them you're rachel1000, you'll get frequent flyer miles.

Mod note: It's against forum rules to insult other forum users- please don't do it rachel1000.

Many a true word spoken in jest.

:hihi:

I went today...useless to be honest.

I am still writing my postgraduate thesis. However I have recently been transferred from full-time to part-time.

So I thought great I haven't had any money since March, hopefully I will be able to claim something in the interim between writing up and getting a job. Which to be fair shouldn't be too long (cross fingers someone give me a job ;) ) but every little helps.

Found out I am only allowed to claim for contributions allowance anyway and as I currently have a shortfall of 4 years from doing a PhD anyway I don't think I can face going every two weeks just so they can pay my national insurance. Nevermind I still have a mortagage and bills to pay, apparently it is up to my boyfriend to look after me being as we live together.

It is my first experience of it and god it is just so depressing I wish I had never bothered now. I just thought I would be pro-active if I was able to claim for some much needed cash.

I am keeping my fingers crossed on a job I went for last week, it is ideal.

I can't imagine why people never want to get a job and want to be claiming all their life I don't understand it.