Revitalising Ecclesall Road: New Venues to Breathe Life into Sheffield Street - including McDonalds

Ecclesall Road, once known as one of Sheffield's busiest streets but has struggled with closing businesses and empty units over the last few years, is experiencing a resurgence with the introduction of deals for several new venues that promise to restore its vibrant atmosphere. 

Mavi Ruya: Raising the Bar

A significant part of this revival is set to be the upcoming opening of Mavi Ruya, a £3.5 million Turkish restaurant set to occupy the former Graze Inn restaurant and The Eagle pub (formerly Champs). Co-owner Deniz Aslan, who already runs a successful restaurant of the same name on Abbeydale Road, shared his

excitement about the new venture with The Star:

"Our new restaurant will raise the bar on Ecclesall Road. We own it and we will refurbish it and run it the way we want with great food prepared in an open kitchen and authentic decor. It needs to look different or it won’t work.”

Mavi Ruya will seat up to 140 people and create 45 new jobs. The project involves a comprehensive refurbishment costing £2 million, which is expected to take up to 12 months. Most of the materials will be sourced from Turkey, ensuring an authentic dining experience. This significant investment comes at a crucial time for Ecclesall Road, which has seen several restaurant closures in recent years.

Late Night Takeaway & Restaurant:

Another exciting development is the proposed opening of a late-night takeaway in the former Amaro Lounge unit. Closed for over a year, this site is set to be revitalized by Hamid Reza Akhavan-Hezaveh of Riverflat Ltd. The takeaway will feature a small seating area for 10 covers and aims to operate seven days a week until 11:30 PM, and until 11:00 PM on Sundays.

The Amaro Lounge, known for its bright blue frontage, was part of the ‘Lounges’ brand and had survived the COVID-19 pandemic but closed in January 2023 due to the cost-of-living crisis. The new takeaway promises to bring much-needed activity back to this section of Ecclesall Road.

A New Beginning for Colombo Premises

In another boost for the area, a major restaurant is set to open in the former Colombo premises at 359 Ecclesall Road.

The Sri Lankan restaurant, which had opened in 2019, closed its doors in 2021 during the pandemic. The unit has now been let, marking another positive turn in the fortunes of the street, which has seen an increase in ‘to let’ signs in recent years.

Community and Economic Impact

As Ecclesall Road gears up for these exciting openings, the community looks forward to a revitalised and bustling street that continues to be a cornerstone of Sheffield’s social and culinary scene.

• SheffieldForum changed the title to Revitalising Ecclesall Road: New Venues to Breathe Life into Sheffield Street - including McDonalds

Glorified car park these days, including those 'parked' in the regular traffic jams.

And a few certain establishments and the rise in delivery culture seem to have brought with them a noticeable increase in anti-social driving, be it speeding, selfish/dangerous parking on street junction corners, bus lanes, pavements etc, and loud engines, exhausts that can be heard for miles.

Car noise and traffic has to be expected living by or using a road like Ecclesall Road but these are issues that go beyond what should be reasonably expected.

Lounge418 (both the owner/manager and the customers park on the double-yellows on Thompson Road on a daily basis) and Dominos Pizza (delivery drivers constantly parked fully on the pavement on Cemetery Avenue) are particularly guilty of causing these issues.

It's far from being the jewel in the crown of Sheffield anymore, as I heard some people describe it during the 'red lines' debates. The stretch from the city to around Hickmott Road is basically now just takeaways, restaurant chains, and a bunch of cars making a nuisance of themselves.

Most people I know don't think much to it anymore, much prefer Sharrow Vale, Nether Edge, etc.. Hey ho, leave it to the students and others to 'enjoy' I guess.

• Thanks 1

Going back to circa 1970 Ecclesall Road  was popular, particularly because of The Nursery Tavern and Uncle Sam’s Chuck Wagon, these were ever present, unlike shops that came and went. Cars were parked by their users as close to where they were going to for as long as it took, the current long stay parking expands as far as Totley for what reasons I don’t know.

31 minutes ago, pfifes said:

I heard a rumour about Dunkin Donuts

I think it is almost certain to be McDonalds?

Theres about 30 objections to McDonalds already on the planning portal!

Apparently they tried to obscure the operator but accidentally left ‘McDonalds’ on a bit of text on one page?

• Haha 1

On 22/05/2024 at 10:24, AndrewC said:

Glorified car park these days, including those 'parked' in the regular traffic jams.

And a few certain establishments and the rise in delivery culture seem to have brought with them a noticeable increase in anti-social driving, be it speeding, selfish/dangerous parking on street junction corners, bus lanes, pavements etc, and loud engines, exhausts that can be heard for miles.

Car noise and traffic has to be expected living by or using a road like Ecclesall Road but these are issues that go beyond what should be reasonably expected.

Lounge418 (both the owner/manager and the customers park on the double-yellows on Thompson Road on a daily basis) and Dominos Pizza (delivery drivers constantly parked fully on the pavement on Cemetery Avenue) are particularly guilty of causing these issues.

It's far from being the jewel in the crown of Sheffield anymore, as I heard some people describe it during the 'red lines' debates. The stretch from the city to around Hickmott Road is basically now just takeaways, restaurant chains, and a bunch of cars making a nuisance of themselves.

Most people I know don't think much to it anymore, much prefer Sharrow Vale, Nether Edge, etc.. Hey ho, leave it to the students and others to 'enjoy' I guess.

Absolutely 💯!  And it’s been like that for quite a long time now.  
Of course it’s serving a purpose to some but the reality is that it’s on a decline in terms of being a ‘jewel in the crown’.  On the other hand Abbeydale Road is on the up.  Of course it’s obvious why this has happened.

• Like 1

On 22/05/2024 at 10:24, AndrewC said:

I often see business owners /managers/staff like you mentioned elsewhere in the city  regularly  ignoring parking restrictions outside their establishment and wondered if they have some sort of arrangement with the parking enforcement guys

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

I often see business owners /managers/staff like you mentioned elsewhere in the city  regularly  ignoring parking restrictions outside their establishment and wondered if they have some sort of arrangement with the parking enforcement guys

They probably know that a CEO is likely to pop in and ask them to move the vehicle and then they put it back when the CEO has gone away.  I rather doubt there’s any “arrangement” as different CEO’s do the patrol at different times / days. It’s not always the same people.

CEO’s have to carry out a period of observation on most restrictions, to make sure the driver isn’t loading / unloading ( where it’s permitted) and they are often spotted while doing this, so the locals call each other up and move the vehicles.  Happens a lot.

Enforcement isn’t straightforward.