2 hours ago, Cody's Granddad said:

It's people wanting a career and Children at the same time.

Having both just does not mix.

If you want kids then stay home and look after them like the op said that is what happened with us until school age.

Personally I can't see the point in having Children if your never there to actually bring them up, call me old fashioned but that is my opinion 

Everything is so expensive now that having a child on one income is out of reach for most people. You can get some support through Universal Credit but if you do that they will make the second parent look for / get work as a condition, so you don't get a choice. The birth rate will continue to fall because the two main parties feel the need to be 'tough' on benefit claimants and only offer market 'solutions' to things like childcare that are not solutions.

• Like 1

Our daughter was born in 1977 and even though money was tight I stayed at home.  My husband  did his full time job all week plus working as a taxi driver three evenings a week until the early hours. Our son was born in 1980 and we carried on in the same way for two more years.   I then began working part time on the evening shift  at SR Gents Clothing Factory and my husband was able to stop taxi driving.  We had to work things between us as we never had any family living near us.  We saved up for things we needed often buying second hand  ( which never bothered me and still doesn't as I'm not materialistic  ) We did always make sure we went away on holiday every year saving all through the year for it  .......  camping usually in Devon or Cornwall.  I saved throughout the year for Christmas and birthdays too.   We started our married life in 1974  buying a run down two bed terraced house ( where we lived when our daughter was born ) which was all we could afford, did it up and sold it.  We moved another couple of times during which time I started working full time and we bought our present house ( a large three bed semi )

Although me working full time made things easier moneywise, it wasn't easy for us juggling working and bringing up the children ........  but we did it between us !!     A lot of younger couples these days would never consider starting off in a small grotty run down terraced house requiring a lot of very hard graft.  Too many set out wanting too much too soon  ( including cars ) relying on credit cards etc.  and mortgaged up to the hilt  meaning that they both have no option but to keep on working.  If I had my life to live again I know which life I'd choose  ........  a struggle to begin with and hardly any spare cash but wonderful, precious time at home looking after our young children without a doubt.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, francypants said:

Our daughter was born in 1977 and even though money was tight I stayed at home.  My husband  did his full time job all week plus working as a taxi driver three evenings a week until the early hours. Our son was born in 1980 and we carried on in the same way for two more years.   I then began working part time on the evening shift  at SR Gents Clothing Factory and my husband was able to stop taxi driving.  We had to work things between us as we never had any family living near us.  We saved up for things we needed often buying second hand  ( which never bothered me and still doesn't as I'm not materialistic  ) We did always make sure we went away on holiday every year saving all through the year for it  .......  camping usually in Devon or Cornwall.  I saved throughout the year for Christmas and birthdays too.   We started our married life in 1974  buying a run down two bed terraced house ( where we lived when our daughter was born ) which was all we could afford, did it up and sold it.  We moved another couple of times during which time I started working full time and we bought our present house ( a large three bed semi )

Although me working full time made things easier moneywise, it wasn't easy for us juggling working and bringing up the children ........  but we did it between us !!     A lot of younger couples these days would never consider starting off in a small grotty run down terraced house requiring a lot of very hard graft.  Too many set out wanting too much too soon  ( including cars ) relying on credit cards etc.  and mortgaged up to the hilt  meaning that they both have no option but to keep on working.  If I had my life to live again I know which life I'd choose  ........  a struggle to begin with and hardly any spare cash but wonderful, precious time at home looking after our young children without a doubt.

Bang on

• Like 1

11 hours ago, francypants said:

Same here in fact I echo your life myself.

I agree having done exactly the same. We had no family for support and decided my husband's salary was better than mine so, I stayed home with our first child born 1972, second  child born 1976. There were no nurseries then so I was at home all day with the children.

Our second child wanted to go to university straight after A Levels so I got a part time job which paid for him for 6 years doing BSc and PhD, no grants or loans just our wages. He's now 48, a leading cancer research lecturer.

Our eldest  son is also paying for his daughter through university doing teaching.

None of our family have ever drawn benefits, had loans or debt.

I learnt the work ethic  from my grandfather who was a drystone fork grinder from age 13 to 73, if you want ought you work for it otherwise you don't have it. 

Regards

Duffems 

• Like 1

We had no family closer than 300 miles.  We, like many parents in the 70s, both worked and shared childcare.  My husband was quite as capable of looking after our children as I was.  The biggest change I believe is that whilst a lot of us mums then had  ‘jobs’, so many more women now have good careers, and if they leave when they have a child, it can be difficult to resume.   For some, a few years of nursery fees is a price worth paying.    Many first time parents now are older,  establishing themselves before they become parents. .

I looked after one grandchild, one day a week when she was small.   She went to nursery, as did our others who live further away.  They are teens now, and both parents in both families work.    Our oldest granddaughter is doing her A levels.  She also has a part time job, which she decided she wanted to do.  I think she has inherited our work ethic!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cody's Granddad said:

It's people wanting a career and Children at the same time.

Having both just does not mix.

If you want kids then stay home and look after them like the op said that is what happened with us until school age.

Personally I can't see the point in having Children if your never there to actually bring them up, call me old fashioned but that is my opinion 

That is exactly what our ethnics do and they are spot on. The man goes out to work the wife does the very valuable job of being a housewife and bringing up the children.

57 minutes ago, spilldig said:

That is exactly what our ethnics do and they are spot on. The man goes out to work the wife does the very valuable job of being a housewife and bringing up the children.

The good news now though for men is that many women want to go out and work Mon-Fri, this means that more men can be house husbands,  a job that I would love.

Stick the t.v on, press a few buttons to do the dishes and laundry, feed and bounce a kid on my knee whilst watching t.v, have a nap before I start prepping for dinner, go to the shops for a bit, meet a few friends for coffee whilst the kids play.

Off home, make dinner, get the wife to satisfy me even though she is absolutely knackered from being on the building site all day, press a few more buttons for the dishes and then moan about me having a hard day before I get my 8 hours sleep in, because I get the wife to wake up if the kid needs anything during the night.

Lovely Jubbly.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

The good news now though for men is that many women want to go out and work Mon-Fri, this means that more men can be house husbands,  a job that I would love.

Stick the t.v on, press a few buttons to do the dishes and laundry, feed and bounce a kid on my knee whilst watching t.v, have a nap before I start prepping for dinner, go to the shops for a bit, meet a few friends for coffee whilst the kids play.

Off home, make dinner, get the wife to satisfy me even though she is absolutely knackered from being on the building site all day, press a few more buttons for the dishes and then moan about me having a hard day before I get my 8 hours sleep in, because I get the wife to wake up if the kid needs anything during the night.

Lovely Jubbly.

You've been spying on me,  some of that is my day ATM.

• Haha 1