COVID THREAD

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Could you imagine what state the world would be in if all the stops weren't pulled out & we were still struggling to find a vaccine? 

That would depend of the world's attitude to risk and death versus society living a normal life. The same question that has been at the crux of all this since March 2020.

Obviously more people would have died had we not had vaccines, but it might not be as many as one might suppose. It is reasonable to assume that those particularly susceptible to Covid would be the first to die in a pandemic. I know people who would have been thought of as being highly vulnerable to Covid who survived it : my mother in law in her early 80s and in a care home, my Aunty was 90, also in a care home, not not only survived it but had it asymptomatically...... My Mum, early 90s (we have kids late in out family ! ) did not catch Covid despite my Dad and my sister (helping to look after them) both having it.

2 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

That would depend of the world's attitude to risk and death versus society living a normal life. The same question that has been at the crux of all this since March 2020.

Obviously more people would have died had we not had vaccines, but it might not be as many as one might suppose. It is reasonable to assume that those particularly susceptible to Covid would be the first to die in a pandemic. I know people who would have been thought of as being highly vulnerable to Covid who survived it : my mother in law in her early 80s and in a care home, my Aunty was 90, also in a care home, not not only survived it but had it asymptomatically...... My Mum, early 90s (we have kids late in out family ! ) did not catch Covid despite my Dad and my sister (helping to look after them) both having it.

But you cannot base general rules on the exceptions 

10 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Two points :

1 - How long do you think we should keep that up for ?

2 - Exactly how many of these "vulnerable people" are there and exactly how vulnerable are they to Covid, particularly now we have vaccines and a milder variant ? I have considered this before, these people with reduced immune functions saying Coivid is stopping them living a "normal life". But how did they live a "normal life" before Covid (with all the disease causing viruses and bacteria etc that have been around for years) ? Why is it so different now, that the rest of us have to change how we live so an unspecified number of people will be an unspecified degree safer?

All the above points considered I do not think continuing to  suppress society in an attempt to suppress Covid (even if it works...) "for the sake of the vulnerable" counts for much at all anymore.

The point is we dont know a lot about how it would react or who would be affected and how if we went back to how we were, thats why its prudent to be careful, you dont just go jumping in with both feet and hope for the best.

10 minutes ago, RJRB said:

But you cannot base general rules on the exceptions 

I didn't say you could, all I was doing was pointing out that even the very vulnerable will not all die, not by a long way.

A friend of mine had a work colleague who was supposed to be vulnerable and was allowed dispensation to work from home, not sure exactly how much work she did but there we go.  But she did catch it, pre-vaccines, and it wasn't too bad, her husband, supposedly less vulnerable, got it too but significantly worse. Though neither ended up in hospital.

9 minutes ago, melthebell said:

The point is we dont know a lot about how it would react or who would be affected and how if we went back to how we were, thats why its prudent to be careful, you dont just go jumping in with both feet and hope for the best.

I don't agree. If we always say "better safe than sorry, you can't be too careful" we 'll never get back to normal.

Edited by Chekhov

6 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I didn't say you could, all I was doing was pointing out that even the very vulnerable will not all die, not by a long way.

A friend of mine had a work colleague who was supposed to be vulnerable and was allowed dispensation to work from home, not sure exactly how much work she did but there we go.  But she did catch it, pre-vaccines, and it wasn't too bad, her husband, supposedly less vulnerable, got it too but significantly worse. Though neither ended up in hospital.

I don't agree. If we always say "better safe than sorry, you can't be too careful" we 'll never get back to normal.

This says there was 3.7 MILLION people last May that were shielding and classed as clinically vunerable, lets just put them all at risk of death because you lack empathy and have a bee in yer bonnet about wearing masks

Just now, melthebell said:

This says there was 3.7 MILLION people last May that were shielding and classed as clinically vunerable, lets just put them all at risk of death because you lack empathy and have a bee in yer bonnet about wearing masks

Oh my. It's all about the drama for some of you lot. 🙄

31 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Oh my. It's all about the drama for some of you lot. 🙄

and another lot that think it should be left to the 'Survival of the Fittest'   

19 minutes ago, steve68 said:

and another lot that think it should be left to the 'Survival of the Fittest'   

Not quite. 

5 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Clive Dix, the former chair of the vaccine taskforce, has just said on the radio that he thinks all Covid testing should stop within the next few weeks.

And I agree with him 100%.

I would speculate that bearing in mind that so many people have been vaccinated against Covid, plus Covid is not a significant risk to healthy people under 40, and we now have a milder Covid variant, Covid is now probably less dangerous than the flu.

Clive Dix also said last May that covid wouldn't be circulating by August...............................................

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/uk-will-be-free-of-covid-19-by-august-says-vaccine-chief/2233869

He does seem a little naive about everyone being vaccinated by the end of July last year.

BTW a fraction under half the population were over 40 at the last census.

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/uk-population-by-ethnicity/demographics/age-groups/latest

• 21.3% of the overall population of England and Wales was aged under 18 years, 29.5% was aged 18 to 39 years, 26.7% was aged 40 to 59 years, and 22.5% was aged 60 years and over

Edited by Longcol

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

France, with their extreme draconian mask mandate (medical quality masks and often to be worn outside on pain of an instant fine) now has a higher death rate than us with our rather more half hearted mask laws.

UK has 2,177 deaths per 100,000 population, France 1,902.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/