COVID THREAD

38 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Stop misquoting people.

I am not misquoting anyone. Anyone with half a brain would realise the text about the quote is what the quote is answering. In fact, if you go on the Tripadvisor forum, which does not have a quote function, it is used all the time and nobody says they are being misquoted.

Start engaging in the debate rather than using this place as a repository for your propaganda.

Stop trying to divert attention away from the fact that suppressionists are now, at last, comprehensively losing the Covid argument.

1)This Forum has a quote function so use it.

2) So called suppressionists have the ability to recognise where we have come from and the direction of travel,which is encouraging in all respects other than the number of daily reported infections.

To talk in terms of winning and losing arguments is lazy and simplistic to anyone with half a brain.

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

1)This Forum has a quote function so use it.

I have tried using that, but it is inconsistent (for me anyway) as to whether a quote then appears above another, sometimes posts are merged how one wonts, sometimes they are not. I cannot see why there is such a big problem how could anyone with brain not realise that, in this example, the text above is an earlier quite :

>>I like going out and about without a muzzle in my face like I have been doing for the whole of my life<<

Well you are selfish wanting to be normal when you are definitely going to kill me.

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

2) So called suppressionists have the ability to recognise where we have come from and the direction of travel, which is encouraging in all respects other than the number of daily reported infections.

To talk in terms of winning and losing arguments is lazy and simplistic to anyone with half a brain.

Some suppressionists are still arguing for restrictions and vaccine passports masks, even, incredibly, on kids.

I apologise if I have incorrectly tarred you with their extremist brush.

Edited by Chekhov

51 minutes ago, Axel said:

Thats good news Chekhov, I've been a little wary of the stats as to just how they are counted and who is classed as unvaxed as there seems to be no definitive data, i.e. did they die of covid (of) or did they die of something else but happened to test positive (with), not sure if there is any info on this at all..

AS we now have an extra infectious Covid, but one that is significantly milder, that data has never been more important.

29 minutes ago, Axel said:

Yes, I think you may be right on this, I wonder if we have reached anywhere near herd immunity yet?

Also, how long do antibodies last, 1 year maybe?

& what about T Cell immunity, how long does that last a life time, 15-20 years?, the immune system is way more complex than we think, just how many different kinds of front line fighter cells does it throw at an infection like Covid, there are lots of questions that just don't seem to be answered by our msm scientists.

There are no 'msm scientists'. There are scientists and some of what they do is reported in various media, often badly if you read any of Ben Goldacre's stuff. There is good and bad science, and lots of bad reporting and some good reporting of science, and lots of bad reading of good and bad science reporting.

13 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Some suppressionists are still arguing for restrictions and vaccine passports masks, even, incredibly, on kids.

A apologise if I have in correctly tarred you with their extremist brush.

Yes there are the extremist outliers on both sides but despite some bumps in the road and some questionable  actions over the last 2 years we might just be getting to where we need to be.

I wonder if the masks in schools thing is related to this

"Loads of teachers will be ill, so if you're a retired teacher please return to teaching so you can also become ill, probably more ill as you are older"

So tempting, I'm sure. The government should have supported schools with ventilation / air purification systems much earlier, that would reduce the risk without the need for masks.

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Clive Dix, the former chair of the vaccine taskforce, has just said on the radio that he thinks all Covid testing should stop within the next few weeks.

And I agree with him 100%.

I would speculate that bearing in mind that so many people have been vaccinated against Covid, plus Covid is not a significant risk to healthy people under 40, and we now have a milder Covid variant, Covid is now probably less dangerous than the flu.

and what about those that are clinically vunerable that cant have the vaccine, or will die if they catch covid? stay in doors forever? at least if you test yourself as you think you may have it, you can isolate and stay away from people

8 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Yes there are the extremist outliers on both sides but despite some bumps in the road and some questionable  actions over the last 2 years we might just be getting to where we need to be.

Could you imagine what state the world would be in if all the stops weren't pulled out & we were still struggling to find a vaccine? 

1 minute ago, Delbow said:

I wonder if the masks in schools thing is related to this

"Loads of teachers will be ill, so if you're a retired teacher please return to teaching so you can also become ill, probably more ill as you are older"

So tempting, I'm sure. The government should have supported schools with ventilation / air purification systems much earlier, that would reduce the risk without the need for masks.

I have absolutely no knowledge on air purification/ventilation systems available to school classrooms with around 30 children in them,but I find it difficult to believe that these could be very effective.

2 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Could you imagine what state the world would be in if all the stops weren't pulled out & we were still struggling to find a vaccine? 

Of all the measures taken I put the vaccination programme at the top of the list and hope that other countries will get the same availability as we have enjoyed 

38 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

The world would be in a dire state, for me on a personal level I'd probably still be shielding, that's if i was lucky enough not to have caught covid, given my various consultants worries, i'd probably be just a statistic if i had contracted covid unvaxed,  i'm extremely grateful for the 4 jabs last year and the antivirals that are available to me now if required.

Sheffield Hospitals have been very accommodating for those that are extremely vulnerable with appointments and clinics, my consultants have been very contactable and proactive arranging for vaccines outside of the 119 and government booking system. Myself and my small circle of  friends that have similar health issues, have been well looked after.

2 hours ago, Axel said:

. . . there are lots of questions that just don't seem to be answered by our msm scientists.

oh god, did you really type that ?

Please tell me it was typo, and I will shut up and go away.

55 minutes ago, melthebell said:

and what about those that are clinically vunerable that cant have the vaccine, or will die if they catch covid? stay in doors forever? at least if you test yourself as you think you may have it, you can isolate and stay away from people

Two points :

1 - How long do you think we should keep that up for ?

2 - Exactly how many of these "vulnerable people" are there and exactly how vulnerable are they to Covid, particularly now we have vaccines and a milder variant ? I have considered this before, these people with reduced immune functions saying Coivid is stopping them living a "normal life". But how did they live a "normal life" before Covid (with all the disease causing viruses and bacteria etc that have been around for years) ? Why is it so different now, that the rest of us have to change how we live so an unspecified number of people will be an unspecified degree safer?

All the above points considered I do not think continuing to  suppress society in an attempt to suppress Covid (even if it works...) "for the sake of the vulnerable" counts for much at all anymore.