COVID THREAD

9 minutes ago, SheffieldBricky said:

Believe what you want. We've had a vaccine for a year and we still have the same problems. I predict their will be another strain and it will be the worst yet and the vaccinated will suffer the most. Save this one and come back to it.

So no links then?

Imperial College are saying 40% less risk of hospitalisation with Omicron compared to Delta.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/22/risk-of-hospital-stay-40-lower-with-omicron-than-delta-uk-data-suggests

Nothing about "ended mandates" - whatever you meant by that.

Edited by Longcol

1 minute ago, El Cid said:

Britain gave no details on the death other than the person had been diagnosed in hospital. It was not clear if the patient had been vaccinated or had underlying health issues.  Deaths from Omicron may have occurred in other countries but none has been publicly confirmed yet outside Britain.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/britain-says-omicron-spreading-phenomenal-rate-2021-12-13/

An unvaccinated man from Texas died after contracting Omicron, becoming the first person to die from the Covid-19 variant in the US.

The Harris County health department in Texas said that the man, believed to be in his 50s, was not vaccinated and had an underlying health condition.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-covid-omicron-death-texas-b1979890.html

I think if you track back you'll see people on here quite gleefully stating the one in the UK was unvaccinated.

The good news is all the suspicions that this variant were pretty harmless are holding out, the isolations are causing more issues than the illness, any further measures would be absolute madness and nothing to do with health.

21 minutes ago, Longcol said:

So no links then?

Imperial College are saying 40% less risk of hospitalisation with Omicron compared to Delta.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/22/risk-of-hospital-stay-40-lower-with-omicron-than-delta-uk-data-suggests

Nothing about "ended mandates" - whatever you meant by that.

They can't insist on mandates for a disease that's like the cold and force a vaccine that's like lemsip.

I've just seen another report saying it's 50% less dangerous than the last strain. They'll settle at a number soon. But the point is this strain isn't dangerous as they claimed.

22 minutes ago, El Cid said:

A spokesperson for NHS Northamptonshire CCG said: “The NHS system in Northamptonshire has not recorded an Omicron-related death at this time.”

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/health/coronavirus/response-issued-after-claim-that-first-omicron-death-in-uk-happened-in-northampton-3501629

Lol. The source for the original story was a LBC caller. Couldn't make it up.

Guest sibon
18 minutes ago, top4718 said:

The good news is all the suspicions that this variant were pretty harmless are holding out, the isolations are causing more issues than the illness, any further measures would be absolute madness and nothing to do with health.

It is looking quite hopeful that omicron is fairly mild. Add in its ability to spread and it should work its way through the unvaccinated fairly quickly. That's good news for those of us who are jabbed, but still concerned for those who are easily misled.

So, it might be happy days. But, mid-winter isn't a great time to take a gamble. So I forsee some restrictions until early spring. 

Patience.

7 minutes ago, SheffieldBricky said:

They can't insist on mandates for a disease that's like the cold and force a vaccine that's like lemsip.

I've just seen another report saying it's 50% less dangerous than the last strain. They'll settle at a number soon. But the point is this strain isn't dangerous as they claimed.

Eh?

Mandates usually mean wearing masks or something.

Edited by Longcol

The WHO (whether you can believe anything they say) are saying vax roll outs like the UK's are denying less well off countries from getting up to 40% vaccinated and prolonging the pandemic according to director general Dr Adhanom Ghebreyesus. We're throwing vaccines around like confetti to people that don't need it, selfishness personified but sums up a large majority of people where its covid or nothing.

24 minutes ago, SheffieldBricky said:

Please don’t mention Lemsip on here . It brings back memories of your mate 

1 hour ago, top4718 said:

I think if you track back you'll see people on here quite gleefully stating the one in the UK was unvaccinated.

Got to agree with this.

Axel

You might find interesting the book "Dancing Naked in The Mind Field",Kary Mullis". First published in 1999 Great Britain,ISBN 07475 4553 7.

30 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

Axel

You might find interesting the book "Dancing Naked in The Mind Field",Kary Mullis". First published in 1999 Great Britain,ISBN 07475 4553 7.

Give us a clue to what the book's about. The title doesn't really tell us much. 

8 hours ago, sibon said:

It is looking quite hopeful that omicron is fairly mild. Add in its ability to spread and it should work its way through the unvaccinated fairly quickly. That's good news for those of us who are jabbed, but still concerned for those who are easily misled.

So, it might be happy days. But, mid-winter isn't a great time to take a gamble. So I forsee some restrictions until early spring. 

Patience.

I agree that the news is encouraging.

A question that I have not been able to answer so far.

Omicron certainly seems to be driving the spike in recorded infections but what proportion of the total is still down to the Delta variant?

This cannot have disappeared overnight can it?