COVID THREAD

1 hour ago, Hecate said:

That's far too positive, use this quote from The Guardian :

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/15/omicron-probably-the-biggest-threat-of-covid-pandemic-says-health-chief 
Omicron likely biggest threat of Covid pandemic so far, says UK health chief
Head of UK Health Security Agency warns MPs to expect ‘staggering’ growth rate in coming days..

PS Jenny Harries (the head of the UK Health Security Agency), who came out with the above alarmist scaremongering guff, is the same Jenny Harries who said, back in March 2020, "This virus is indiscriminate".  She should be sacked, in fact I'd do it myself if they haven't got the nerve..

Edited by Chekhov

Do we know the percentage of patients that catch covid in hospital.  Alison Pearson, Telelgraph , is tweeting that 70% of Londons covid hospitalisations are diagnosed several days after admission for other ailments.

The virus is indiscriminate,anybody can catch it.

Edited by RJRB

49 minutes ago, Axel said:

Do we know the percentage of patients that catch covid in hospital.  Alison Pearson, Telelgraph , is tweeting that 70% of Londons covid hospitalisations are diagnosed several days after admission for other ailments.

If you read the comments following the tweet there’s literally hundreds of people asking for a link to this data but funnily enough she can’t  provide one.

I wonder how many potentially seriously ill people are put off going to hospital after reading irresponsible scaremongering rubbish like this? 

Edited by nikki-red

We have been giving each other germs for 600.000 years ,why are we in hysterics now?.I think I might start smoking again and take up alcohol.why not?

21 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

If you read the comments following the tweet there’s literally hundreds of people asking for a link to this data but funnily enough she can’t  provide one.

I wonder how many potentially seriously ill people are put off going to hospital after reading irresponsible scaremongering rubbish like this? 

My Dad caught Covid in A&E back in Dec 2020. I was livid. To me that showed the government's strategy for a broad suppression of Covid "treat everyone the same" was fatally flawed (literally). Ideally there should have been separate A&E depts for vulnerable and not vulnerable, but short of that different sections of the A&E dept. BUt they wpoudl not do that because that went against their ludicrous "this virus is indiscriminate" fallacy.

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

...  All of which illustrates that the picture changes from day to day and there is less certainty amongst the scientific community than there is from some of the general public.

Paint it red and bold and stick it on the front page.  Exactly so.  We're clambering carefully up from base camp, while some are up on the next rocky outcrop waving their pants in the air thinking they've reached the summit.

2 minutes ago, rayggb said:

We have been giving each other germs for 600.000 years ,why are we in hysterics now?.I think I might start smoking again and take up alcohol.why not?

You are right of course, it is the biggest over reaction in the history of the world, and, in fact, we are currently living through history in the making. Not the virus, that is far from unprecedented (a word ignorant politicians and even doctors use to describe it), no it's the world's reaction to it. Even more worrying is the precedent that has been set. Hopefully I'll be dead before the next pandemic.

Your point about smoking and alcohol is even more pertinent, though you should also have added obesity. These three, esp the last, put far more pressure on the NHS than Covid ever will yet nothing is ever said, in fact we cannot even call overweight people fat anymore, apparently some people think it's a legitimate lifestyle choice so we should not be critical !  Yet people who choose to not have the vaccine (which doesn't even stop infection that well !) get called selfish by ****holes like Tony Blair and even the Archbishop of Canterbury. It's BS that's what it is (and I am vaccinated).

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

You are right of course, it is the biggest over reaction in the history of the world, and, in fact, we are currently living through history in the making. Not the virus, that is far from unprecedented (a word ignorant politicians and even doctors use to describe it), no it's the world's reaction to it. Even more worrying is the precedent that has been set. Hopefully I'll be dead before the next pandemic.

Your point about smoking and alcohol is even more pertinent, though you should also have added obesity. These three, esp the last, put far more pressure on the NHS than Covid ever will yet nothing is ever said, in fact we cannot even call overweight people fat anymore, apparently some people think it's a legitimate lifestyle choice so we should not be critical !  Yet people who choose to not have the vaccine (which doesn't even stop infection that well !) get called selfish by ****holes like Tony Blair and even the Archbishop of Canterbury. It's BS that's what it is (and I am vaccinated).

Calm down dear 

10 hours ago, RJRB said:

The virus is indiscriminate,anybody can catch it.

What does it matter if a child (or even a healthy unvaccinated person under 40) catches Covid ? It does not matter at all. 

The virus is not indiscriminate in its effects, which is what counts, not by one million miles :

England-Covid-deaths-Mar-20-to-1st-Dec-2

13 hours ago, Chekhov said:

It has just been reported on the news that 10,000 hospital beds are being occupied with people who cannot be discharged because of lack of places in care homes. As I have said before I wonder how much better the situation would be had they not introduced the unnecessary vaccination mandate for care home staff. After all, all residents of care homes have been jabbed (probably triple jabbed) anyway and the vaccine doesn't stop you passing on Covid anyway !

Not forgetting the other thing putting off potential care workers, how would you like to wear a mask all day every day whilst working for the minimum wage ?

Not that the minimum wage is anything to be sniffed at any more, it's not far off £10 an hour.

Edited by Chekhov

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Salivating at the prospect of getting back to normal ?

You bet your ass I am !

The narrative is you have to be frightened..... So of course they say that, they find it impossible to be optimistic or positive. **** 'em.

As I was saying... Case in point right here, with added deliberate misinterpretation. 

Scientists provide cause for both optimism and positivity, but because they do so while reasonably urging continued caution Chekhov here, desperate to wave his pants in the air in premature jubilation while continuing with his 'fear and cowardice' narrative, has a little strop.  Really quite bizarre.

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

What does it matter if a child (or even a healthy unvaccinated person under 40) catches Covid ? It does not matter at all. 

The virus is not indiscriminate in its effects, which is what counts, not by one million miles :

England-Covid-deaths-Mar-20-to-1st-Dec-2

You scoffed at someone who said the virus is indiscriminate .

It is.

And you are one of those who speaks with absolute certainty on a subject that all scientists are learning on a daily basis.