Sheffield Is Awfull These Days

2 minutes ago, Padders said:

3 hours at Tesco, Spital Hill,

All for the price of a box of matches.

I park in Waitrose. 2 hours free there and I never go in the shop.

Leave the car park and nip under the underpass where the firework shop is and you are essentially on The Moor. Top tip for you.

Sometimes I go in Decathlon and put my reg in on the machines inside and nip to town if its a quick visit (only an hour max there)

Edited by HeHasRisen

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I park in Waitrose. 2 hours free there and I never go in the shop.

Leave the car park and nip under the underpass where the firework shop is and you are essentially on The Moor. Top tip for you.

Sometimes I go in Decathlon and put my reg in on the machines inside and nip to town if its a quick visit (only an hour max there)

I appreciate not everyone is the same as me, I'm lucky, I love walking..

I always find a free parking space within say a mile of my destination.

It takes about 12minutes to walk a mile, same if I go to the seaside, always park about a mile inland.

I look at it like this 👀

If I save £6 on parking, then I'm actually earning £30 per hour for a 12minute walk..

1 minute ago, Padders said:

I appreciate not everyone is the same as me, I'm lucky, I love walking..

I always find a free parking space within say a mile of my destination.

It takes about 12minutes to walk a mile, same if I go to the seaside, always park about a mile inland.

I look at it like this 👀

If I save £6 on parking, then I'm actually earning £30 per hour for a 12minute walk..

Aye I went to Cleethorpes in August 2020 just after lockdown, Bank Holiday weekend. Just wanted to go and sit on a beach for an hour, was a nice day.

Went on Google Maps, found a backstreet about ¾m away from the front, walked there via alleyways etc. Missed the traffic jam on the main road in.

Pount being: dont blindly drive somewhere without doing some research first 

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, bassett one said:

well our city although a bit pongy years ago was basically fine,you could drive around,shop okay,people used to sweep there shop fronts,today i had to go to the northern general,well not to bad until some idiot over took me and slammed on the breaks,well i braked and he stopped then sped off,possible scam as he had just overtook me on the main road after doing a quick uturn, anyway i now proceed pass the parkhill flats towards berners road what a mess,with all the silly painted graffetti ,then towards pagehall well what a dump that is these days awfull,once we left the hospital we went to the deserted attercliffe shopping area,scruffy ,deserted mess,then off to town via the square roundabout,i see what mrs grannelli means about her customers need a helicopter to shop at there sweet shop.park up at the crucible area,walk down a derelict chapel walk loads of empty shops to the jewel in our citys crown fargate.well closing down signs on shop windows,empty shops ,scruffy and horrid,no wonder no top shops will invest,beggers everywhere.,man with 2 dogs shouting  bargain fags only a fiver for a packet of 20 or big bag of bacca a fiver,OMG what a mess,then off to heeley another mess with graffetti ect,then up to woodseat and abbey lane not perfect but better,whats happened to our city, no wonder folk wont invest.

I have to agree. 

Sheffield is a microcosm of what's happening to Britain these days, and quite possibly the world.

The worst parts are getting undeniably worse, while the nice parts are still nice, and getting better. The division between rich and poor is becoming more pronounced.

I was listening to a brilliant 15minute series/ programme on Radio 4 (Friday 24th March 2.45pm) called 'Understanding Economics' subtitled 'Why are the rich, rich, and the poor, poor.' which explained it beautifully. And yes it goes back 40 years to Thatcher, exacerbated, in Britain at least, by 13 years of increasingly right wing Tory Austerity and cuts.   Another episode next Friday.

Isn't it interesting that the first page or so of this thread was devoted to the messenger and not the message? Is it denial or just weariness at our inability to do anything about it?  I remember the same thing happening about food banks...

First people denied they were real - it was all Labour propaganda...- then that they were only necessary for the feckless and lazy who wouldn't work... -  then 'who would refuse free food, (in spite of being told they were by referral only... - 'then for those feckless individuals who couldn't manage their money and budget...' and so on. Now they deny they are being used by people in full time work... - and shock horror, some of them, middle class...

There are now food banks in every town and city, used by more than 2 million+  people.

Neoliberal Free Market Economics is biting people. And the majority of us are no longer on the winning side.

Sorry, but it can only get worse.  

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1

Guest makapaka

Ah the good old days in sheffield - ricketts and polio - the good old days.

Edited by makapaka

2 minutes ago, makapaka said:

3 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Now been replaced by Coronvirus.

1 hour ago, forgeman said:

For the first time in years we ventured to town a few weeks ago, only as we had to register a family death. Bought a pair of trainers and back home again. It cost me £9 to park as we did not know how long we would be at the registrar.

Never again will we go to town.

SCC are you listening to all the comments?

What were you expecting in a major city?

Sheffield Council parking is similarly priced to other large cities. Leeds is slightly more expensive. Most cities have time limits on their central area on street parking, usually 1 or 2 hours max. Sheffield doesn’t have those restrictions.

Parking slightly outside the central area halves the cost and it’s 90p an hour outside the inner ring road.

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

In which case you chose one of the most expensive options going.

When I am driving somewhere unfamiliar i take a look online at parking rates first, you could have parked in many other places either for a cheaper hourly rate, or pay on exit so you didnt have to pay for dead hours. An expensive lesson.

Sorry for your loss.

Expensive it may have been but we cannot walk very far so chose the option we did.