Siren Type Alerts To Be Sent To Uk Phones-Floods/Wildfires.

18 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Seems a lot on the Three network didnt go off. I also know two people in Basingstoke, not on Three, and neither of theirs did either. So assume some network and mast issues.

Which is precisely why things like this are tested. 

Yep, mine's Three.

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

Weird mine hasn't, although data is off, Wi-Fi certainly isn't.

Sod all here, 4 in the house and not one of us will be saved

1 minute ago, alchemist said:

Sod all here, 4 in the house and not one of us will be saved

What a shame. :wink:

• Haha 1

Both phones went off in our house. Lasted a few seconds and a messaged popped up saying it was a test. I don't really see what all the fuss is about.

• Like 1

Yes, my mobile is with the 3 network & haven't received anything. 

It's a good idea but it's going to have to be targeted alerts, perhaps they could only issue alerts via specific mobile transmitters covering the geographical area where there are terrorist attacks, floods, fires, etc or we run the risk of people being warned of servere weather in northern Scotland when they actually live in Cornwall. 

7 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Yes, my mobile is with the 3 network & haven't received anything. 

It's a good idea but it's going to have to be targeted alerts, perhaps they could only issue alerts via specific mobile transmitters covering the geographical area where there are terrorist attacks, floods, fires, etc or we run the risk of people being warned of servere weather in northern Scotland when they actually live in Cornwall. 

I think thats the idea .

8 hours ago, altus said:

You've missed something. 4G/5G are levels of the GSM phone standard - they don't just cover data connections. The alert system doesn't use the data connection so disconnecting from the internet won't stop you from receiving the alert. Even if you turn your phone off/switch your phone to aeroplane mode/stick it in the fridge/move somewhere with only a 2G network/whatever, you'll just receive the alert the next time you let it connect to the mobile network via a 4G/5G connection.

The only way to stop emergency alerts is to disable them in your phone's settings.

Well this is why I asked!  It didn't seem to make sense that you'd have to have a data plan and be connected to it - but that's what 4G meant to me!

However, I still haven't received the alert...

I do also wonder if there's any plan from the government to measure the outcome of this test, or if they're just throwing things out there...

4 hours ago, Zinger549 said:

Both phones went off in our house. Lasted a few seconds and a messaged popped up saying it was a test. I don't really see what all the fuss is about.

There wasn't any fuss, I don't need it, I've never needed it and will never need it, it got switched off in settings.

£22m it cost whilst people are struggling just to live, incredible.

Just now, top4718 said:

There wasn't any fuss, I don't need it, I've never needed it and will never need it, it got switched off in settings.

£22m it cost whilst people are struggling just to live, incredible.

Yeah but c'mon bro. It's for our safety 😬