Animal Activists Stage Sit In.

No I would not.  The point I’m making is that the production of boxed free range is not, in the scheme of things, the worse environmental/animal cruelty issue by any stretch. So why pick on the target they did? Because it’s easy and not too scary.  As I’ve said before they get publicity but they frankly nark a lot of people off who might otherwise support their cause. 

1 hour ago, redruby said:

No I would not.  The point I’m making is that the production of boxed free range is not, in the scheme of things, the worse environmental/animal cruelty issue by any stretch. So why pick on the target they did? Because it’s easy and not too scary.  As I’ve said before they get publicity but they frankly nark a lot of people off who might otherwise support their cause.

Hang on.  You're annoyed because they're protesting the wrong issue and their protest was too safe and easy and only inconvenienced a few shoppers in an upmarket Sainsbury's? They're Animal Rebellion.  Their cause isn't just about free range eggs.  They were supergluing themselves to milk tankers, disrupting the traffic and spraying paint on Westminster Palace a few months back, is that a bit less easy and a bit more scary?    But I bet you're even more annoyed by that.

Edited by Guest

Hang on yourself! I’m specifically commenting on the people having their protest sitting in front of boxes of eggs in Sainsbury’s at Millhouses. 
And you previously said they wanted a peaceful protest and it wouldn’t want ‘turn nasty’ by going to, say, Parsons Cross Asda.  Yet now changes to ‘they are brave, hard as nails Animal Rebellion gluing themselves to supertankers and spray painting Westminster Palace’.  But presumably too scared of a confrontation with the customers of Parsons Cross Asda! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, redruby said:

Hang on yourself! I’m specifically commenting on the people having their protest sitting in front of boxes of eggs in Sainsbury’s at Millhouses. 
And you previously said they wanted a peaceful protest and it wouldn’t want ‘turn nasty’ by going to, say, Parsons Cross Asda.  Yet now changes to ‘they are brave, hard as nails Animal Rebellion gluing themselves to supertankers and spray painting Westminster Palace’.  But presumably too scared of a confrontation with the customers of Parsons Cross Asda! 

So you're annoyed that a peaceful protest by a branch of Animal Rebellion was too easy and not scary, and now you're annoyed because another branch has used less easy, more scary tactics elsewhere?  I think you just enjoy having a whine about it all on here.

31 minutes ago, mrm65 said:

Does anyone know why they would be permitted to do this in a private business, Surely if you are in a store and not as customer, then you are trespassing.

Am I wrong?

Presumably the store could have had their security remove the protesters, but allowed them the time to make a peaceful protest. Freedom of speech, lots of people are striking, protesting currently over pay pension and clean air zones. I think teachers striking and children missing lessons is a bigger problem to report than a peaceful protest in a supermarket. After schools closing for COVID hasn't this generation of school children had enough disruption to their education. Perhaps teachers could protest outside of the lesson time, maybe on a weekend or a teacher training day 😏.

So you're annoyed that a peaceful protest by a branch of Animal Rebellion was too easy and not scary, and now you're annoyed because another branch has used less easy, more scary tactics elsewhere?  I think you just enjoyhaving a whine about it all on here.

And I think you are being deliberately obtuse now. 

To recap - I think that the Millhouses protest was a poorly chosen target.  Of all the things to protest about - if you feel strongly enough to organise a protest- why choose a few boxes of eggs in that location?   Is it out of fashion to protest about say,  McDonalds (low quality mass produced meat/packaging that gets littered everywhere/drive thru emissions/ultra processed food) ? And instead go to Sainsbury’s in Millhouses and try guilt trip people buying a  box of eggs?  And yes, I am allowed to make this point without organising my own personal protest. If they want to make a stand protesting then they can’t expect everyone to agree with them.

You brought up the subject of Animal Rebellion using ‘more scary tactics’ elsewhere. My only comment on that was that you were suggesting these people were very tough, hard as nails protesters but the Millhouses bunch were choosing ‘nice’ areas to protest because they wanted a peaceful protest and wouldn’t want to things to ‘get nasty’ protesting somewhere rather less leafy and middle class. Which is rather contradictory.
Edited by redruby