State Opening Of Parliament

5 hours ago, lazarus said:

I can’t understand why 90 odd year old woman is still clinging on to her “job”? 

This should tell you, she wants to be top of this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest-reigning_monarchs

Currently 3rd, shortly to be 2nd

Edited by alchresearch

Its hardly "clinging on", is it? Its a job until death.

7 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

He hasn't been found guilty because he paid her off with an extremely large sum of money to avoid the court case taking place.

I WONDER WHY?

I'm surprised you even live in the UK as I'm sure Disneyland would suit you better with views like that.

Because like any high profile individual or corporation they are subject to constant unregulated maulings in the court of public opinion and the pot sirring press.

His lawyers have very sensibly considered the costs of buying off the money grabbing attention seeker against the substantial costs of a lengthy trial defence open to constant uncorroborated public opinion, finger pointing, media manipulation.  It's called commercial settlement and it happens all the time.

You think what you want. But the basic fact is he was not found "guilty" of anything. It was not a criminal trial. It was for civil damages.  No guilt has been found because Prince Andrew made a settlement with no admissions of any liability....     No guilt has been found because the so-called victim chose to take the money rather than producing a single piece of evidence of her supposed abuse before a court of law.

It was all about the money and she ultimately got she wanted - another nice big fat payout. Tick tock before she finds another high-profile victim to go against.

I am sure you have no doubt in your opinion what you feel Prince Andrew is. On the flip side I have no doubt in my opinion what I feel she is.

Edited by ECCOnoob

1 minute ago, West 77 said:

Exactly correct.  Queen Elizabeth II has defended the faith  and honoured the oath unlike Pope Benedict XVI.

When was Pope Benedict queen?

50 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Prince Andrew hasn't been found guilty in any court of law of any criminal offence which makes your name calling unjustified and potentially libellous. The truth is it's only the anti monarchy mob based in our own country who have any interest in Prince Andrew.  Regarding Prince Charles he's well respected throughout the World.  However, Prince Charles will never reach the same level of respect  and  being liked Queen Elizabeth II has enjoyed  during her reign throughout the World. The truth is our own country and the World has been spoilt by having such a great lady as Queen of England and the Commonwealth for the last seventy years.

Long Live The Queen

I have every respect for the Queen, she has earned it with 70+ years of diligent duty.

The rest of the Royal family are a different kettle of fish. 

Your comments such as 'Andrew hasn't been found guilty etc..' is exactly the reason the why we should call it a day where the monarchy is concerned. Hiding behind wealth and privilege is not acceptable which is exactly what Andrew has done.

I have nothing against Charles, but any system which means he could not marry the woman he loved in the first place because she was not a virgin is flawed wouldn't you say? And antiquated. These people are human but expected to set themselves up as gods. They can continue as a pretty, rather quaint tourist attraction if they wish, as long as we're not paying exorbitant funds to keep them there.

Times have changed. More and more problems are going to arise where conflicts between religion, power and state are concerned, and questions are going to be asked, (akin to the current problems with slavery, and their tour of the Caribbean) which will undermine their position. They are making it harder for us as a nation to hold the moral authority. It's time for them to go, and for us to modernise and become a functioning (and fair) nation, not some Ruritanian backwater. 

24 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It's a statement of fact that Prince Andrew hasn't been found guilty of any criminal act.  The truth is he was only targeted by the money grabbing women because he's a member of the Royal family.  Another fact is Prince Andrew took no part in the state opening of parliament yesterday.  His name was brought into the discussion by a member of the anti monarchy mob.  Another fact is it was King George III who gave the Royal assent to abolish slavery.

Long Live The Queen and Long Live The Monarchy

Not a case of money grabbing women, he was  connected and will always be rememberd as part of Epsteins peodo group and no flippin wonder he wasn't present yesterday, he should be locked away in the Tower and I don't mean the  Blackpool tower tempting young girls with candy floss.  :hihi:  You need to live in the real world and open your eyes to this lot instead of wearing blinkers.

4 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Not a case of money grabbing women, he was  connected and will always be rememberd as part of Epsteins peodo group and no flippin wonder he wasn't present yesterday, he should be locked away in the Tower and I don't mean the  Blackpool tower tempting young girls with candy floss.  :hihi:  You need to live in the real world and open your eyes to this lot instead of wearing blinkers.

Oh dear,

I don't mind a bit of misery,

But you do seem to overdose on it Mr. P.

39 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It's a statement of fact that Prince Andrew hasn't been found guilty of any criminal act.  The truth is he was only targeted by the money grabbing women because he's a member of the Royal family.  Another fact is Prince Andrew took no part in the state opening of parliament yesterday.  His name was brought into the discussion by a member of the anti monarchy mob.  Another fact is it was King George III who gave the Royal assent to abolish slavery.

Long Live The Queen and Long Live The Monarchy

George was a supporter of slavery, it was Pitt who was against it and most probably he who was responsible for it’s abolition during the kings deep dementia days.

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

When was Pope Benedict queen?

I think Westie's referring to Pope Benedict resigning when popes normally don't. Given Benedict's actions in covering up child sexual abuse by priests was becoming an increasing embarrassment to the church I suspect he was given the choice of jump or be pushed.

Tim Minchin wrote a song about him. I won't link to it as it's a bit sweary and this is a family friendly forum but those interested can find it easily enough.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, crookesey said:

George was a supporter of slavery, it was Pitt who was against it and most probably he who was responsible for it’s abolition during the kings deep dementia days.

Indeed. We had a constitutional monarchy at the time, to not sign it would have been to disobey parliament. "Man signs bit of paper to avoid losing job, and possibly head" isn't the ringing endorsement of abolishing slavery Westie tried to imply.

17 minutes ago, Padders said:

Oh dear,

I don't mind a bit of misery,

But you do seem to overdose on it Mr. P.

Well Bette Davis sent Errol Flynn there when was Queen Elizabeth1. :huh:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Anna B said:

It's not so silly.

Free Market Economics started by Thatcher and Regan and carried on eversince, has brought the ordinary mortals of this country to their knees.

Corruption in high places, Manufacturing replaced by Insecure, poorly paid work, worker's rights all but abandoned, productivity in the doldrums due to lack of investment, massive divide between North and South East, excess money in the system pushing up prices, health service up the spout along with operations, dentists and doctors, two tier education system, University fees at £9,000 a year with interest rates rising, house prices off the scale, prices going up while wages stagnate, computer systems that don't work and drive people mad, debt, poverty, food banks, homelessness and the biggest gap ever between the richest and the poor....  

Meanwhile we prat about with ceremonies like these just to make us feel important, in an ancient building that wasn't suitable for work 100 years ago let alone now, and we argue about who had a party, what, why and where. We have part time politicians who have so little to do, they can fit in a second job as long as it's a nice nice little earner they can do from the Cayman Islands, and who frankly don't give a dam about the people they're supposed to serve. 

Yeah, doing great aren't we....?

I know a great many “ ordinary mortals “ and none are on their knees   . The rest of your post sounds like a Union leader’s rant