Gas And Electric Bills

My gas and electric has gone up from £83 PCM to£152PCM .  Which appliances are using the most energy.  I have electric cooker and hob, dishwasher and usual kettle,washer freezers Tec.

11 minutes ago, scousemouse said:

My gas and electric has gone up from £83 PCM to£152PCM .  Which appliances are using the most energy.  I have electric cooker and hob, dishwasher and usual kettle,washer freezers Tec.

No, your contribution to a monthly kitty to pay for the gas and electric you use has gone up from 83 to 152. If you use more, you pay more. If you use less, you pay less.

A handy guide here

https://www.comparethemarket.com/energy/content/which-appliances-use-the-most-energy/

Electric showers also use a surprising amount of electricity, so reduce the amount of time you spend in them

anything that heats or cools will be highest, radiators, hot water, shower, cooker, washing machine, fridge, freezer

electric kettle isn't on long enough to worry about, about 4pence to boil a litre of water. tech is minimal, but desktop pc's and tv's can be high

electric shower about 4p/min, a bath isn't going to be cheaper.

Edited by fools

Your central heating, or do you still have a coal fire? My central heating is off at the moment.

I have ALWAYS tried to be frugal with energy use. I only boil as much water as I need for 1 or 2 cups in the kettle.  I use low energy lightbulbs, run a shower more than a bath and only have my central heating on when a jumper and a pair of socks won't keep me warm.

We'll all pay more during this energy crisis, but for how long is anyone's guess.  The Government are right to 'cap' charges and shareholders in these utility companies should not be getting dividends and bonuses during this period.

Our water bills are on the up now too of course !

We live in a 1450 square feet very well insulated detached house. We are both retired so use the central heating more than we did when we were both working. Our last year’s dual fuel cost was £1190 and we didn’t skimp on usage, our usage this year so far is very close to last years and I reckon that we will equal last year’s costs on six months usage, so circa £2K looks likely for 12 months usage, taking into account that there will be very little central heating and lighting.

Other than dressing like Nanook Of The North or freezing, I see no alternative to footing the cost, distasteful as it is.

2 hours ago, crookesey said:

Other than dressing like Nanook Of The North or freezing, I see no alternative to footing the cost, distasteful as it is.

Which is what everyone should do.

Got our email from Eon last night.

Another case of doubling, up to £254 DD a month.

Crikey.

A major study was done at a cost of 5 million pounds in the 90s to discover what would happen if the cost of living went up, the findings were

* people on higher wages would be less impacted 

* if petrol prices went up too high people on lower wages would suffer as they have to put a higher percentage of their earnings in their car,  just to go to work leaving less money for other things like food 

(maybe buy an electric car, hint hint, they only cost £50,000)

* People on higher wages would be most likely to ride out any increases to everyday items 

Therefore it is advised that people with lower wages need to save more than someone on higher wages

The bigger the  money cushion the softer the impact, so it was advised poor people save up £40,000 per year of their earnings, rainy day money and rich people save £2000 per year to offset the impact caused by sudden price increases 

This study was carried out by an expert

Edited by rogets

Still doung rubbish trolling after all these years, Rogets?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Still doung rubbish trolling after all these years, Rogets?

Are you saying the expert is wrong when he points out that people with higher income are able to ride out price increases ?