Buses - Are We Jealous Sheffield?

When I was working it annoyed me that I could only buy a seven day pass, I never used it on a Sunday but when I queried this I was told that’s how it was, I replied why not have a six day pass for people who didn’t use the services on a Sunday, I received a lot of bluster “ I’ll put your enquiry through” never received an answer. I must add this was before all the different bus passes and tickets were brought out.

3 minutes ago, lazarus said:

When I was working it annoyed me that I could only buy a seven day pass, I never used it on a Sunday but when I queried this I was told that’s how it was, I replied why not have a six day pass for people who didn’t use the services on a Sunday, I received a lot of bluster “ I’ll put your enquiry through” never received an answer. I must add this was before all the different bus passes and tickets were brought out.

But where do you draw the line? Do you offer 5 day tickets for people who dont use it at the weekend?

I dont drive my car some days, should I be fully insured for those days?  What about libraries, I dont use libraries, should I get a council tax rebate.  And so on.

42 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

But where do you draw the line? Do you offer 5 day tickets for people who dont use it at the weekend?

I dont drive my car some days, should I be fully insured for those days?  What about libraries, I dont use libraries, should I get a council tax rebate.  And so on.

I would have thought most people do use the service on a Saturday, why talk about libraries and cars that just splitting hairs.

Not really, its exactly the same concept.  If you only want to pay for 5 days, just pay for 5 days. You will find that buying 5 x 1 daily ticket is likely more than buying a weekly one, but thats up to you.

Why dont they offer 10 day 13 hour 47 minute tickets? Woe betide they just want to stick to normal, easy to advertise length of tickets like, erm, one week.

Edited by HeHasRisen

On 15/03/2022 at 15:07, Andy C said:

The Manchester system is going to require a hell of a lot of taxpayer subsidy, hopefully that is forthcoming and it all works out good for them. 

Here in Sheffield I would again point out that

- commuting is not expensive, for example a 28 day CityWide pass offering unlimited bus and tram travel in the city costing £69 works out at £2.46 a day (people pay more than that for a cup of coffee!)

- most service cuts have been due to a combination of public funding cutbacks and lack of fare paying passengers

- most reliability issues are due to traffic congestion where the council haven't provided adequate bus priority measures 

- most bus services in Sheffield do not make money and First South Yorkshire bus company has not made a profit in over 10 years.

People need to step outside of South Yorkshire and experience public transport outside the county lines. 

Here's the price for a 17 min journey in Cumbria (Stagecoach, Kendal bus station to Lake Windermere, popular route).

Similar journey in Sheffield is £2.20 single, £4.50 day. 

rdHGWTz.png

The 7 day ticket is £30.50, the 28 day ticket is £110.00

Edited by Resident

4 hours ago, Resident said:

People need to step outside of South Yorkshire and experience public transport outside the county lines. 

Here's the price for a 17 min journey in Cumbria (Stagecoach, Kendal bus station to Lake Windermere, popular route).

rdHGWTz.png

It's a tourist place that though isn't, so of course the bus companies are going to milk that.

Problem is how do you differentiate the tourists from the locals 🤔 wouldn't fancy paying an hours wage for a one way ticket to work a 6 hour shift if I was unlucky enough to need to catch a bus in Cumbria

5 hours ago, HumbleNarrator said:

It's a tourist place that though isn't, so of course the bus companies are going to milk that.

The prices are the same even to non-tourist destinations plus as DaveM89 says, locals don't have their own fare structure. 

There is only 1 area that currently has ≤ fares to Sheffield. London, which is currently £4 billion in debt and expected to rise to near £12 billion within the next 10 years despite massive cuts to services/routes being made. 

10 hours ago, Resident said:

rdHGWTz.png

Yes we are lucky but your comparison is unfair.

The 17 min bus from Kendal to Windermere covers 8 miles through countryside along a main road, bypassing the only village, It is further than it is from Sheffield to Dronfield or Rotherham or Chapeltown. 

It is a 15 minute journey and costs £6 20 return on the train.

Guest busdriver1
13 hours ago, Resident said:

rdHGWTz.png

The reasoning for the fares is actually quite simple. By far the majority of passengers are concessions and the compensation for carriage of them is at a percentage of the adult fare. This means that they are actually able to get a reasonable level of payment unlike in our area where if a bus was actually full of concessions it would be running at a loss. (That is how little we pay operators in our area for carrying concessions).

Funny fares.

£5 gets you from London to Sheffield on a coach.

4 hours ago, dutch said:

Funny fares.

£5 gets you from London to Sheffield on a coach.

Please , tell me more