World Student Games- 30yrs!

An absolute disgrace and a financial waste of gargantuan proportions! Complete folly of incompetent councillors. Held the city back for decades.

Edited by prince al

For a while I worked on the refurb on Hyde Park flats , for the games . 

Forgot to add . I saw the final of the basket ball at Sheffield Arena , only because someone got me free tickets ( there were loads knocking about) . Did anyone pay to see an event ?

How can someone win, if winning means another person loses?

I was listening to Radio Sheffield today and there.was an item on the Breakfast Show regarding that all the debt that the Council went into to put on the World Student Games in 1991 has finally beem paid off .

Mainly this news item spoke about how much good had come from going into the debt to hold the Games ( ie the Lyceum getting renovated and getting The Arena built etc) however there was no mention about the fact that Don Valley Stadium was eventually demolished and that lots of memorabilia costing thousands of Pounds were left for years unsold in a  warehouse apparently.

I can remember at the time that there was lots of discussions about whether holding the Student Games was a good idea or not,and i personally think that Demolishing Don Valley Stadium is a good  enough reason to say it wasn't .

Worked in the Games Village for my college work experience. Had a great time and have some photos and my uniform in the loft somewhere.

Was involved in the close down and ended up on the roof of the block that got demolished. took a camera up and took a couple of pictures. No health and safety, just a ladder up onto the roof.

I watched a swimming event after my stint and suddenly Princess Anne came in with bodyguards and sat 3 rows in front of me. Everyone , except me , stood up for the NationalAnthem. I got a good photo of her back and hair.

What I found hilarious with all of this is Clive Betts trying to claim it only cost 10 million & all of the rest was down to other people 

The man won't take responsibility for his actions  - Labour should put him out to pasture & get a candidate with more integrity in for the General Election 

On 22/02/2024 at 14:55, sheffbag said:

Listened to Clive Betts this morning trying to explain the total debt and how the games "only cost £10M and was paid back in a couple of years". SCC then essentially kept remortgaging the loan to the grand total of £650M

So given interest is probably about £40M and the games cost £10M

What did the other £600M go on?

"He said it was the additional loans needed to build the various venues which led to the debt and the perception the event had cost so much was wrong because the council had re-mortgaged the original loan to pay for other services over the years."

Don Valley cost £29M to build

Sheff Arena - £34M

Ponds Forge - £40M

So can reasonably wipe out £120M if you include the improvements to the Lyceum that Betts was crowing about as part of the money spend

So what about the other £480M on "other services"

And the games attracted students to the area, which funded the expansion of the universities and allowed buildings such as The Adsett centre to be built.

Did all the happy experiences add up £600 million odd ? This city could have used that money more productivity. How many council houses and schools would it have built?
The councillors at the time should hang their heads in shame!

1 hour ago, prince al said:

Did all the happy experiences add up £600 million odd ? This city could have used that money more productivity. How many council houses and schools would it have built?
The councillors at the time should hang their heads in shame!

But they built a new market !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!