Walkley Pros And Cons.

Hi all

Thinking of moving from out of area to Walkley. I know it’s not a bad area but wondering if there are certain areas that are best avoided...

Thanks

10 hours ago, Miniladyuk said:

Hi all

Thinking of moving from out of area to Walkley. I know it’s not a bad area but wondering if there are certain areas that are best avoided...

Thanks

Depends whether you are buying or renting. If you are renting, it’s quite busy because it’s a student area. If you are buying , your property will continue to go up in value as Walkley and Crookes are rental areas so always sell well.

I’m buying x

just wondering if there are particular areas to avoid x

2 hours ago, pattricia said:

Depends whether you are buying or renting. If you are renting, it’s quite busy because it’s a student area. If you are buying , your property will continue to go up in value as Walkley and Crookes are rental areas so always sell well.

Walkley and Crookes overlap -geographically and by marketing.

Housing types vary consideably and you can find your ideal home hidden amongst other types.

Car parking is an issue-currently street parking is at its lowest level for decades.

Properties in Walkley and Crookes sell quickly- if they don't shift quickly there is something wrong.

Lenders avoid a few areas of Walkley because of geological issues. Always get a full survey

There is an overall decline in the rental market in Walkley and Crookes amongst students who are preferring to move into purpose built accommodation.

The "buy to let" for students is far less attractive now and some of these properties are for sale but need conversion.

The popular bits of Walkley  include By postcode:

S10

S6 5XX

S6 2 and S6 3-the uphill bits

There are some Forum comments about Lower Walkley here

1 hour ago, Miniladyuk said:

I’m buying x

up the hill is generally nice in my opinion and if you want clean air I would avoid anything close to south road or bottom of the hill at rivelin (both have a lot of pollution from car fumes). I am near the bolehills and its a nice quiet area.

Beware of some estate agents labelling adjacent areas as "walkley" too....

lower walkley is the worst bid of walkley but not in a real bad way .

Lower Walkley is a nice place to live it’s handy for town and Hillsborough,Crooks etc.I have lived in Lower Walkley for nearly 40 years and would never dream of moving.Schools are good,shopping excellent  and the parks nearby. Ok it’s a bit hard to get about when snows with being so hilly but overall such a  nice place and nice people I highly recommend it

On 26/03/2021 at 10:43, Miniladyuk said:

I’m buying x

Lived in Walkley from 1981 - 2017.

Would tend to avoid anywhere lower down the hill than Harold Street, Whitehouse Road, Walkley Road - mainly because of the geography - you get tend to get less sunshine - especially in the evening.

NB - Walkley is not always sunny.

That’s true about the sunshine you can see it disappearing down the garden as the afternoon gets later 

The weather hasn't been too bad for the last few years  so it has not experienced the icy hills it has done in the past. If you need a drive for your house make sure it is a flat one as I've seen some cars take themselves for a trip.

Ive never had a bad customer in Walkley so I'd say its all good.

The biggest issue I have is parking. It can be a bloody nightmare.