The Conservative Party - Part Two.

40 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

It certainly is and they do not know what they have started, as I said the other day (and this is most of the world, not just the UK).

Fear is feeding off itself in a vicious spiral upwards towards madness :

1 - Government deliberately stokes fear to ensure compliance (that is not a conspiracy theory it is an accepted fact)

2 - Much of the country becomes irrationally fearful and demands more and more restrictions even when they are plainly not needed (not in a rational world anyway).

3 - The government responds to the perceived support for more restrictions by applying more restrictions.

4 - The population thinks hey, if they keep introducing more restrictions there must be something to be frightened about

5 - And so it goes on.

There’s no doubt that fear is a powerful motivational force and not just in the context of the Covid situation.

However the more extreme hyperbole should be filtered out by rational individuals as it seems to be in the circles that I move in.

6 minutes ago, RJRB said:

There’s no doubt that fear is a powerful motivational force and not just in the context of the Covid situation.

However the more extreme hyperbole should be filtered out by rational individuals as it seems to be in the circles that I move in.

Good point, @RJRB

6 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I'm just enjoying the goods news.  I'm just about to go down to Wetherspoons to wet the baby's head.

Have a couple for me . Busy painting at the moment but later I will crack open a bottle of Veuve Clicquot  to celebrate the joyous news. 

Edited by hackey lad

9 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I'm just enjoying the goods news.  I'm just about to go down to Wetherspoons to wet the baby's head.

Congratulations.

Good news is always welcome!

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

Congratulations.

Good news is always welcome!

Did you just congratulate Boris ?

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

It certainly is and they do not know what they have started, as I said the other day (and this is most of the world, not just the UK).

Fear is feeding off itself in a vicious spiral upwards towards madness :

1 - Government deliberately stokes fear to ensure compliance (that is not a conspiracy theory it is an accepted fact)

2 - Much of the country becomes irrationally fearful and demands more and more restrictions even when they are plainly not needed (not in a rational world anyway).

3 - The government responds to the perceived support for more restrictions by applying more restrictions.

4 - The population thinks hey, if they keep introducing more restrictions there must be something to be frightened about

5 - And so it goes on.

You forgot to mention the influence of the media both mainstream and social where fear is manipulated, perpetuated and exaggerated !

2 minutes ago, Michael_W said:

You forgot to mention the influence of the media both mainstream and social where fear is manipulated, perpetuated and exaggerated !

The government started it by not being honest, and not putting all the information out there.

Don’t know about you guys,  but I will never see the Conservative PARTY the same again. 😉

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Indeed. 

I don't think some people are aware that some hard won freedoms, when lost, will stay on the statute book and never come back.

The governments love restrictions, it makes people easier to control, and generally saves them time and money. The people are the losers. I believe the right to protest, the last resort in a democracy, has just undergone a government makeover, restricting them and demonstarting the problem.

People won't miss their rights until they're gone.

Be careful what you wish for.

I agree with you 100%, or 110% if I were a footballer.

BTW, you'll be pleased to her I do not use my Sunflower lanyard when not wearing  a mask. The way I figure it how is it going to encourage others to ignore that ludicrous edict if they think I am following it (by wearing a lanyard). Though I do actually have an exemption anyway :

If you are not able to wear a face covering
In settings where face coverings are required in England, there are some circumstances where people may not be able to wear a face covering.

people for whom putting on, wearing or removing a face covering will cause severe distress

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own#if-youre-not-able-to-wear-a-face-covering

And I can say, in all honesty, that there will be very few people who wearing a face covering will cause more distress to than myself.

24 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The government started it by not being honest, and not putting all the information out there.

Johnson has no relationship with the truth,but worse than that he requires others to lie and avoid straightforward answers to protect him.

They then look ridiculous themselves and lose credibility.

Those who “assured “ him that no regulations were broken will be scapegoated in due course.

It takes forever to dig away on many issues which could and should be either avoided or admitted.

The refurbishment of Johnson’s flat being an example.Perhaps Lord Brownlow will be invited to be a new godparent in addition to being Johnson’s Fairy Godfather.

40 minutes ago, Michael_W said:

You are absolutely right.

This Covid nightmare (and I'm talking about the suppression policies not the virus) has changed me politically speaking completely.

I used to listen to R4 (Today, World At One and PM), no longer. They are so biased it just annoys me, now I listen to TalkRadio, and particularly Julia Hartley-Brewer. She is an absolute star about this suppression of society, she's like terrier when interviewing "experts" not just accepting everything they say like it's gospel and they've "come down from the mount" to talk to us, the plebs.

The other thing is I have never voted Tory before in my life, but I will NEVER vote Labour again. Quite plainly they do not value my freedoms and they are the most important thing to me, I have realised that now. Voting Tory will be made easier for me because my MP (Miriam Cates) voted against putting off "Freedom Day" in June, so she is in the right place.

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

I’m surprised you’re not complaining about people who can't afford to buy their own wallpaper knocking out another baby.