Coronavirus - Part Two.

4 hours ago, whiteowl said:

Agreed - as my previous posts have indicated I'm not a huge fan of this Government but they're probably right here. The original plan of the lockdown was to stop the NHS getting overwhlemed, not to stop the virus - that's unlikely to happen without a vaccine.

Places do need to open, we just need to be careful.

Yes, we need to very careful about not easing restrictions too quickly.  https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/aug/13/lifting-coronavirus-restrictions-too-early-would-be-a-disaster

"Could" people seriously seriously need to start understanding the meaning of that word in news articles. Do you know what statement is also at the same level of truth as that headline? "Easing lockdown restrictions too early could be just fine" 

Now if the guardian had said that would you have believed it? 

On 01/08/2020 at 10:14, Halibut said:

I think you'll find what most people want is a Government that isn't as spectacularly incompetent the present shower, who quite clearly haven't got a clue. The whole handling of the pandemic has been shambolic from the outset, led by a Prime Minister thrice sacked for lying, still lying and with a lifelong history of refusing to accept responsibility for anything.

Yep, this.

On 12/08/2020 at 18:24, the_bloke said:

England finally uses the same methodology to count Covid-19 deaths as the other home nations, and we drop 5000+ deaths.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53722711

How inconsiderate are all those that don't Die within the allotted 28 days - don't you just love this governments further manipulation of figures.

19 hours ago, RJRB said:

Whilst the actual performance on the control of Covid19 in England and Scotland may not be so different,I certainly think that the leadership of Nicola Sturgeon far surpasses that of Boris Johnson.

She has remained at the forefront of all press conferences and speaks with consistency and authority.

Johnson drifts in and out of the limelight as it suits  and I fail to see his supposed reputation as an inspirational orator.

Totally agree. 

Not sure about her desire (despite being Scottish myself) to split this Great Country of ours up, but,  She always comes across as having  genuine concern , Not like the buffoon we occasionally see spouting his usual whimsical nonsense.

Keep safe 

1 hour ago, Tomm06 said:

"Could" people seriously seriously need to start understanding the meaning of that word in news articles. Do you know what statement is also at the same level of truth as that headline? "Easing lockdown restrictions too early could be just fine" 

Now if the guardian had said that would you have believed it? 

The point is that consequences of lifting restrictions too early and too quickly are potentially horrendous and far worse than what has happened so far. Yes, of course it COULD be ‘just fine’, but no one knows if will be the case so we should consider the risks and act accordingly, not simply brush them under the carpet and say ‘it could just be fine’.

8 hours ago, redruby said:

The point is that consequences of lifting restrictions too early and too quickly are potentially horrendous and far worse than what has happened so far. Yes, of course it COULD be ‘just fine’, but no one knows if will be the case so we should consider the risks and act accordingly, not simply brush them under the carpet and say ‘it could just be fine’.

The risks have been considered and we are acting accordingly. If we weren't the world would simply say "take your chances, off you go" 

11 minutes ago, Tomm06 said:

The risks have been considered and we are acting accordingly. If we weren't the world would simply say "take your chances, off you go" 

The point is with regard to HOW restrictions are eased.  

43 minutes ago, redruby said:

The point is with regard to HOW restrictions are eased.  

Well am I right in thinking we're essentially at 'max ease' now. Obviously that will see cases and deaths going up. Whether it's enough where it will become a concern is yet to be seen. 

Well colour me surprised - HMG want to keep secret a review into Covid deaths of NHS staff.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-nhs-staff-deaths-secret-cover-up-ministers-a9667156.html

Surely they don't think that the conclusion would be that HMG were completely incompetent and negligent.

5 hours ago, Tomm06 said:

Well am I right in thinking we're essentially at 'max ease' now. Obviously that will see cases and deaths going up. Whether it's enough where it will become a concern is yet to be seen. 

Not by some considerable distance are we at “max ease”. We might be at a new normal, but not maximum ease or we’d be like we were pre lockdown wouldn’t we?

Just now, Easy livin said:

we may be at a "new"  but this is anything but normal.

as long as people keep acting like we are all about to be stepping over bodies in the street then normal is a way off.

If people don’t act like that, we might end up doing it.

5 hours ago, Tomm06 said:

We can't be anywhere near "max ease" when we can't do what we normally would.  As separate households of differing ages, I can't get together with many members of my family.  I've got to accept to being tracked by governments "track and trace" fiasco by giving all my details when I go out on spec for a meal, or to whichever bar I fancy for a pint (making sure I socially distance and leave if I think it's getting too crowdy - therefore missing many mates who come in later).  I've even got to give my details to the barber!

I don't know how long this "new normal" is going to last, but it's certainly having an impact on my mood and outlook.