Coronavirus - Part Two.

2 hours ago, Pettytom said:

You have evidence mixed up with selective quoting and confirmation bias.

Here. Oxford University say this:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-07-08-oxford-covid-19-study-face-masks-and-coverings-work-act-now#

And they also state to start off with this..

"Cloth face masks and coverings for the general public are effective in improving: i) source protection, i.e., reduced virus transmission from the wearer when they are of optimal material and construction and fitted correctly; and ii) wearer protection, i.e., reduced rate of infection of those who wear them."

Just now, melthebell said:

arguing the toss for the sake of it, youve been poo pooing mask wearing for months, again, safer to wear a mask...or not wear a mask?

Notice that I have never stated that people should not wear one though!;)

Just now, apelike said:

And they also state to start off with this..

"Cloth face masks and coverings for the general public are effective in improving: i) source protection, i.e., reduced virus transmission from the wearer when they are of optimal material and construction and fitted correctly; and ii) wearer protection, i.e., reduced rate of infection of those who wear them."

You might like to read it all.

There is also a link to the full report, if you are truly interested. 

Or, you could just cherry pick a few out of context quotes.

I’m done with the argument now. I’ll leave the evidence in here and hope that those who are undecided will actually read it properly, I’ve learned from past interactions with you that you’ll just keep on arguing, regardless of the weight of evidence against you.

Have a nice evening.

3 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

You might like to read it all.

I have as I also have the 37 page PDF and the bit I quoted is from their Executive Summary of it.

Which also includes this bit that I missed out in my past reply.

"Optimal cloth face coverings are made from specific material (e.g., high grade cotton), hybrid and multilayer constructions (e.g., silk-cotton) and need to be fitted correctly."

In any case have a good one too... :thumbsup:

Hi all. Just to add, bought a pack of the common blue disposable masks from Aldi the other day, or at least I thought I had! Upon closer inspection I found that the word “mask “was completely absent from the packaging. They were described as face coverings and specifically stated as not being PPE. To me this seems aimed at passing current rules rather than offering any protection. I’m no expert so would guess they’re probably better than nowt but the moral is read the packaging before you buy. Or in my case remember my glasses! 

16 minutes ago, Jim117 said:

Hi all. Just to add, bought a pack of the common blue disposable masks from Aldi the other day, or at least I thought I had! Upon closer inspection I found that the word “mask “was completely absent from the packaging. They were described as face coverings and specifically stated as not being PPE. To me this seems aimed at passing current rules rather than offering any protection. I’m no expert so would guess they’re probably better than nowt but the moral is read the packaging before you buy. Or in my case remember my glasses! 

I think most proper PPE is being held back for where it's really needed, and Aldi shouldn't be selling it if was the real deal. The stuff Aldi sells will do the job you need it to do.

16 minutes ago, Jim117 said:

I think most proper PPE is being held back for where it's really needed, and Aldi shouldn't be selling it if was the real deal. The stuff Aldi sells will do the job you need it to do.

Around 2/3 weeks ago (July 22nd), I wrote a post wondering what the Coronavirus figures would be in Leeds and Liverpool after their football triumphs and the associated mass celebrations (totally ignoring lockdown rules, face coverings etc.).

tinfoilhat was kind enough to provide a baseline from the BBC at that time.

Readers may be interested in their respective updated figures on today's BBC site

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274 , which gives figures from 29 July to 4 August:

Number of cases:  Liverpool 64 Leeds 121 Sheffield 61

Cases per 100,000 people: Average UK 5, Liverpool 13, Leeds 15, Sheffield 10

Compared to previous week: Liverpool +12, Leeds +52, Sheffield -52.

As I suspected at the time, it looks to me as if those mass celebrations have impacted on their figures. 

So Boris reckons that we have a "moral duty" to ensure children return to school by September.

When was the last time Boris showed morality or duty in his private life.

He is HYPOCRISY personified.

37 minutes ago, steved32 said:

So Boris reckons that we have a "moral duty" to ensure children return to school by September.

I couldn't agree more as it those very people who are suffering most by lockdown from not mixing with other children and doing what children should be doing. How that is achieved is a different matter though.

I think there are a lot of children showing or harbouring mental health issues which, given the state of children’s mental health services, will come home to roost

Does anyone remember that one the reasons mask wearing was not recommended earlier in the year was that people would feel they would be ‘safe’ wearing one when in fact they only give (some limited) protection to others. Another reason is that incorrect mask use could worsen matters (think touching masks, wearing an unclean mask).
Well, I do think that is exactly what has happened with many people. They have attached too much importance to masks. Personally I don’t think it will be too much of an issue during the summer but once kids are back to school, people start spending more time indoors and perhaps public transport gets busier it may well be.

1 hour ago, redruby said:

Does anyone remember that one the reasons mask wearing was not recommended earlier in the year was that people would feel they would be ‘safe’ wearing one when in fact they only give (some limited) protection to others. Another reason is that incorrect mask use could worsen matters (think touching masks, wearing an unclean mask).
Well, I do think that is exactly what has happened with many people. They have attached too much importance to masks. Personally I don’t think it will be too much of an issue during the summer but once kids are back to school, people start spending more time indoors and perhaps public transport gets busier it may well be.

Do you have any evidence that wearing a face covering could make matters worse?

I don't think it's the masks, per se, more the wearer. Observing people out and about I've noticed dirty masks, masks stuffed into pockets once people get off the tram, worn round the wrists. Then people constantly touching them, pulling them down to smoke, drink, eat, speak on their phones, speak to people face to face in supermarkets. I even saw one woman on tram pull her mask down to speak to someone 2 seats away, while at the same time fanning her face. Not trying to be judgemental just observations when out and about, I'm probably the world's worst for constantly adjusting my mask without thinking.