Coronavirus - Part Two.

Any thoughts on how safe sanitiser dispensers are?

I mean, if someone has Covid on their hand and pushes the dispenser’s pump, would you be concerned if you were the next person to use that sanitiser?

12 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I mean, if someone has Covid on their hand and pushes the dispenser’s pump, would you be concerned if you were the next person to use that sanitiser?

No, because I wouldn't know and because I'm just about to sanitise my hands.

On 06/08/2020 at 21:31, Pettytom said:

Agreed. 

I’ve seen some startling simulations of the way that simply washing hands slows the spread of infection. I was just pointing out that the antimaskers are happy to accept other measures without question 

Social distancing is different though. Nobody seems to know the optimum distance. Equally, nobody questions it’s efficacy.

As a side note, I’d be interested in your view of hand sanitising, as a health professional. It seems to me that we risk a new generation of superbugs by repeatedly using alcohol gels in a slipshod way. 

Well sometimes sanitiser is the only way to clean your hands - it shouldn't be used often as a substitute for handwashing,  but is better than nothing.  It can be used as an extra to handwashing, as your hands should be free from visible dirt to use it effectively.  You should apply it in the way that is recommended for handwashing (i.e. the palm to palm then backs of hands between fingers, rotational rubbing round the thumb etc.  IIRC, it's only effective 3 or 4 times, then you should wash with soap and water.

2 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Do you have any evidence that wearing a face covering could make matters worse?

I haven't found a direct answer, but as the question is partly that incorrect use could make it worse, this may help answer.

From WHO:

Non-medical, fabric masks are being used by many people in public areas, but there has been limited evidence on their effectiveness and WHO does not recommend their widespread use among the public for control of COVID-19. However, for areas of widespread transmission, with limited capacity for implementing control measures and especially in settings where physical distancing of at least 1 metre is not possible – such as on public transport, in shops or in other confined or crowded environments – WHO advises governments to encourage the general public to use non-medical fabric masks. (https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/question-and-answers-hub/q-a-detail/q-a-on-covid-19-and-masks).

How many people do you see doing this correctly, and not just shoving it in a pocket, or pulling down under the chin?!

3 hours ago, Waldo said:

I am not even sure any more what actually can kill the virus as far as sanitisers are concerned.

The early information was that it required something like a 65% minimum alcohol content,and yet lap and water are deemed effective.

There are many personal and household cleansers advertised as killing 99% of household germs,but how effective are they.

10 minutes ago, RJRB said:

I am not even sure any more what actually can kill the virus as far as sanitisers are concerned.

The early information was that it required something like a 65% minimum alcohol content,and yet lap and water are deemed effective.

There are many personal and household cleansers advertised as killing 99% of household germs,but how effective are they.

In terms of hand washing, it is the soap that damages the outside of the virus. Just washing with water won’t do a lot of good, unless it dislodges the viral particles and sends them elsewhere 

Very interesting interview with Dr.Jarvis on R2 earlier, regarding long-lasting symptoms of the virus, and how it's affecting various different organs in many people.

Apparently it should no longer be viewed as a respiratory illness, but more likened to M.E.

26 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

Very interesting interview with Dr.Jarvis on R2 earlier, regarding long-lasting symptoms of the virus, and how it's affecting various different organs in many people.

Apparently it should no longer be viewed as a respiratory illness, but more likened to M.E.

Thats interesting, a friend of mine who believes they've had it is complaining of being really really tired all the time.

6 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Do you have any evidence that wearing a face covering could make matters worse?

I haven’t got time to start making references but of course one way of transmitting virus is touching the face after touching a contaminated surface. So putting a hand to the face to adjust a face covering/take a covering on or off/putting on a covering that has been in contact with a contaminated hand or surface is a risk.  
It is is evident reading this thread alone that some people think wearing a mask makes them safe which potentially makes them think that more important things (social distancing and/or hand cleaning) are not so crucial. 

2 hours ago, RJRB said:

Sanitisers don't kill a virus as they are not alive but they destroy its outer layer making it ineffective, that can also depend on the virus and with coronavirus it usually works effectively.

2 hours ago, RJRB said:

Soap and water is more effective than hand sanitiser but hand sanitiser is more convenient to use when soap and water is not available. Constant use though is not a good idea as it can lead to skin problems.

2 hours ago, RJRB said:

They are very effective against germs but this is a virus and not a germ.

36 minutes ago, enntee said:

That's exactly what the main benefit of a 20second hand wash is.

Did your friend's initial attack cause them respiratory problems?

Not much beyond the dry cough and a slight worsening of asthma symptoms. Not hospitalised thankfully.

51 minutes ago, enntee said:

That's exactly what the main benefit of a 20second hand wash

Not entirely. The fats in the  viral casing are attacked by soap, rendering the viral useless. Of course, washing also gets the virus off your skin.

18 minutes ago, apelike said:

They are very effective against germs but this is a virus and not a germ.

Germ is a pretty indistinct and inaccurate term.

Generally, it is understood to mean microscopic infective agents. Bacteria, viruses and some fungi and moulds would be classed as germs.

Its not a very useful word really.

32 minutes ago, redruby said:

It is is evident reading this thread alone that some people think wearing a mask makes them safe which potentially makes them think that more important things (social distancing and/or hand cleaning) are not so crucial. 

I don’t think that any such thing is obvious from this thread. I’m very interested in the unsubstantiated claims that some people are making.

Why do you think that 2m social distancing  is more important/effective than wearing a face covering?