Strikes On Public Transport To Be Made Illegal

Boris Johnson has claimed that all-out strikes on public transport will be made illegal under a new Conservative administration following major disruption on UK train routes.

“I do think it’s absurd that critical transport mass-transit systems should be capable of being put out of actions by strikes, and other countries around the world have minimum service requirements for public transport – and that’s what I want to see,” said Johnson in front of an audience of textile workers near Matlock in Derbyshire.

We have elected an out of touch, right wing Prime Minister.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/05/boris-johnson-says-sorry-for-any-offence-caused-by-burqa-article?CMP=share_btn_fb&fbclid=IwAR0otRaipme-xUkcmsCmpmah8vLPOPrt2wJ02FLoMUvnxKbwpjMLMLnb1n0

Edited by El Cid

If you're talking transport then I have no sympathy for the rail strikers, and this "keep the guard on the train, keep the train safe" campaign.

Trains are certainly no safer with a guard on them.  From my experience all they do is hide in their little cabin at the end of the train.

@alchresearchI tend to agree with you. I've been using a lot of the rail network - north as far as Carlisle and south to Brighton - over the past 12 months, and apart from my regular trip to Brighton, I could have done many of them for free. The aforementioned trip is the only one where I have always had my ticket checked - probably because it starts from a station without ticket gates, but even then I have forgotten to show my 60+ railcard on occasion, with no response.

12 minutes ago, Janus said:

I always feel there is  an extra element of safety when a 2nd man is on a train, tram or bus. No longer on buses now of course.

A key difference with buses, is that up north, not having a conductor means buses are slow. Major arterial routes would be much better, if they didn't stop for 10 mins at each stop while people pay with 1ps (it seems)

(though I'm going a little off topic there)

Edited by *_ash_*

44 minutes ago, Janus said:

I always feel there is  an extra element of safety when a 2nd man is on a train, tram or bus. No longer on buses now of course.

Sorry, don't see the logic in that, but maybe I'm wrong. Out of curiosity, why do yo feel that?

32 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

A key difference with buses, is that up north, not having a conductor means buses are slow. Major arterial routes would be much better, if they didn't stop for 10 mins at each stop while people pay with 1ps (it seems)

(though I'm going a little off topic there)

OT, certainly, but I understand your sentiment. There does seem to be an element of  slothfulness and lethargy amongst a large number of bus passengers, especially noticeable in South Yorkshire compared to other areas.

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

Trains are certainly no safer with a guard on them.  From my experience all they do is hide in their little cabin at the end of the train.

That may be your experience; do you travel when people are on their way home from a session at the pub or a football match? These instances would be worse for vulnerable or unwell travellers.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

That may be your experience; do you travel when people are on their way home from a session at the pub or a football match? These instances would be worse for vulnerable or unwell travellers.

Yep, and its horrible.  The guard hides away, and just hopes the transport police come on board at a later station.

Merseyrail can't explain where their guard was when this happened:

CCTV appeal after woman put in headlock during sex attack on Merseyrail train

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/cctv-appeal-after-woman-put-16001013