Freedom of religion - no

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

Doesn't Ramadan require specific prayer times?    I remember one factory I used to work at which went quiet at numerous times of the day as the staff went off to pray.

No. 

The requirement to pray is five times a day three of which are before sunrise and after sunset so the most they would pray during the working day would be twice, one of which is at midday when most people are at lunch, so I'm not sure what these 'numerous' quiet times were.

During Ramadan extra nightly prayers are encouraged but not obligatory.

Are Islamic prayer times set?

It depends on how you look at it.  Prayer times are fixed according to the stages of the sun an moon.

So the time of day changes but the Muslim can't just choose when they want to pray.

16 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

Are Islamic prayer times set?

It depends on how you look at it.  Prayer times are fixed according to the stages of the sun an moon.

So the time of day changes but the Muslim can't just choose when they want to pray.

In theory, yes, there are fixed times to pray and they shift each day depending upon the lunar calendar.  However, most practicising Muslims  - and their imams - understand that modern life is not like that, and there is flexibility around those times.  It's pretty relaxed.

6 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

On to Stephen Yaxley Lennon (very middle class name for a working class hero!), does he hate all Muslims?  I have heard him say he hates islam, not Muslims.

Well seeing that a Muslim is someone who follows or practices Islam...............................................

22 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Well seeing that a Muslim is someone who follows or practices Islam...............................................

And who are not only brown people..

19 minutes ago, Longcol said:

You can hate a belief system without hating it's adherents.  I don't hate much, but I do dislike Abrahamic religion, I don't dislike Christians, Jews or Muslims.

9 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

You can hate a belief system without hating it's adherents.  I don't hate much, but I do dislike Abrahamic religion, I don't dislike Christians, Jews or Muslims.

I agree I dislike all religion (hate is too strong a word) - it would be difficult to dislike everyone who expresses a religious view or practises.

Wasn’t this thread about a Christian nurse?

51 minutes ago, bendix said:

It's pretty relaxed.

Very relaxed.

If you live in a country like Finland where the sun never sets in the summer months and doesn't rise in the winter, you can simply pick the nearest country that does and follow their times.

Failing that, you can base your prayer cycle on local time in Mecca.

Given that it is not Muslims who have to stop treating patients to go and pray, maybe the poster Branny can enlighten us as to which religion he was originally referring to.

If she was going at it more lightly, offering to pray or sing with the patient, then fair enough. The report suggests she was being too over-powering with it. Presumably it had happened before, or she'd been warned about it previously, as an instant dismissal seems very strong as a first step.

3 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

If she was going at it more lightly, offering to pray or sing with the patient, then fair enough. 

Really?

Many people find that kind of behaviour really creepy especially when they are feeling vulnerable. There are chaplins in most large hospitals if patients want that kind of support, and importantly the patient will ask for it, not have it imposed on them.