Euro Elections

mort

This thread has been reviewed and returned to the main forum. 

A couple of points for you to take note of.

We expect it to remain civil and within our usual forum rules.

As this is about an election the following will apply

Here at SF we try to ensure fair play, and that includes during elections. We don't allow links direct to political party websites or to sites that spread spurious stories for political influence at any time, and that will continue. We also ask candidates and those campaigning for political parties to follow our code of conduct in the run up to elections. In order to not provide any influence unfairly to any side, we ask that those who are standing or who represent a party refrain from posting in threads to do with political discussion or elections during the 4 week run up to the vote.

It's  mandatory and your account will be suspended if you don't do it.

If you have any questions please take them to the helpdesk rather than starting threads attacking the forum team. If you do that then your account will be suspended. 

Message added by mort

6 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

To many leavers, it was am election that should never have happened, so it's not surprising why many didn't bother. It was an opportunity for remainers to turn out in force and make the case for a 2nd referendum. They didn't.

Care to elaborate?

Using half of the Labour vote to prove a point you must know is wrong = desperate

The Brexit Party failed to break the deadlock and no amount of gymnastics with the numbers can change that

It's also good to see brexit party totally annihilate ukip taking most of their vote share, Gerard batton lost his seat, Carl 'rape' benjamin didn't get elected, and nor did Tommy robinson

Edited by melthebell

11 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

You are assuming every conservative voter is a leaver, and 50 percent of Labour voters are leavers. Remain won, get over it. Art 50 revoke coming soon.

Conservatives stood on a leave platform. If remainers still want to vote leave then that's their problem. Labour's position was unclear, although still officially leave, so assigning 50/50 is fair.

The Wales vote is VERY significant.

It means that England is now the only leave country in the UK and arguing that the whole of the UK should leave the EU because the English want it to is going to bring anti imperial feelings to the surface. 

This can only hasten the break up of the Union.

12 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Using half of the Labour vote to prove a point you must know is wrong = desperate

The Brexit Party failed to break the deadlock and no amount of gymnastics with the numbers can change that

You said yourself a few pages ago that Labour stand for leave, albeit a softer and reluctant leave. Far from being desperate, on that basis I'm actually being overly generous by not just assigning all of Labour's votes to leave.

14 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

All Tories are Leavers are they? I think 5 million Tory voters might argue otherwise. Also, three quarters of Labour voters are remainers. 

You claim to be intelligent but on this showing, it is definitely not the case. 

A fairer reflection of the vote share would be;

Remain - 53.7%

Leave - 41.3%

Vote share are only from definitively pro Brexit or remain parties with the Tory and Labour vote apportioned fairly as I have described. 

It doesn't matter if all Tories are leavers or remainers, or Labour for that matter. It's the platform they stood on so it's what people voted for. If remainers want to vote for a leave party in an EU election then that's their problem.

2 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

It doesn't matter if all Tories are leavers or remainers, or Labour for that matter. It's the platform they stood on so it's what people voted for. If remainers want to vote for a leave party in an EU election then that's their problem.

The way you are clutching at the most feeble of straws is hilarious. You keep on digging. 

If Labour are a Leave party then why were they the main opposition against the government deal for being “too hard a Brexit”?

The Labour Party are most definitely shifting towards a second referendum if not remain. If you can’t see that, then that is definitely your problem. 

3 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

The way you are clutching at the most feeble of straws is hilarious. You keep on digging. 

If Labour are a Leave party then why were they the main opposition against the government deal for being “too hard a Brexit”?

The Labour Party are most definitely shifting towards a second referendum if not remain. If you can’t see that, then that is definitely your problem. 

You're second guessing what Labour are shifting to. In the election they stood for a soft Brexit. The Conservatives also stood for Brexit. Since Labour's position has always been unclear, splitting 50/50 is fair. You're the one clutching at straws by trying to claim that voters voting for a leave party in an EU proxy referendum should actually count for remain.

Edited by WiseOwl182

7 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

It's the platform they stood on so it's what people voted for. If remainers want to vote for a leave party in an EU election then that's their problem.

The entire narrative of the Labour Party for the past year is 'are they leave or are they remain?' so saying thàt a vote for Labour is a vote for Leave is illogical. Even splitting Labour's vote 70:30 remain/leave to reflect the views of Labour supporters in the country as a whole is biased in favour of Leave as it looks like Leave Labour supporters were much more likely to vote for Brexit/UKIP than Remain Labour supporters were to vote Lib Dem or Green.

The post election polling will be interesting and will probably burst Farage's bubble.

14 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

You said yourself a few pages ago that Labour stand for leave, albeit a softer and reluctant leave. Far from being desperate, on that basis I'm actually being overly generous by not just assigning all of Labour's votes to leave.

I said they stand for soft Brexit. Lumping them in with the Brexit Party as if to prove that people want no deal is pathetic.

All you are (possibly) proving is that there is no one form of leave, and that just like in Parliament there is insufficient support for no deal in the country.

That is where we are.

Farage failed to break the deadlock, polling at the bottom end of expectations and only adding a small number of MEPs compared to the party he led in 2014.

He will be happy though. Back to Brussels to his favourite bars and restaurants, and those wonderful Trappist ales and cheap fags. He knows it won’t be over on 31 October.

Let me see, the shadow foreign secretary and most importantly the shadow chancellor and deputy Labour leader have openly said there needs to be a second vote. Numerous Labour MPs have come out and said the same. The ground is moving in one very obvious direction. 

You are just  burying your head in the sand. I’ll be happy to say I told you so later. 

Edited by ez8004

1 minute ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The entire narrative of the Labour Party for the past year is 'are they leave or are they remain?' so saying thàt a vote for Labour is a vote for Leave is illogical. Even splitting Labour's vote 70:30 remain/leave to reflect the views of Labour supporters in the country as a whole is biased in favour of Leave as it looks like Leave Labour supporters were much more likely to vote for Brexit/UKIP than Remain Labour supporters were to vote Lib Dem or Green.

The post election polling will be interesting and will probably burst Farage's bubble.

The core Labour vote was destroyed by a swing to Brexit Party in many traditional Labour areas.

The way to deal with Farage is not pandering to him - like Nandy and Flint want - but to hit him head on. Pandering to him is what has gradually hollowed out the Tories and it will do the same to Labour.

3 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

I said they stand for soft Brexit. Lumping them in with the Brexit Party as if to prove that people want no deal is pathetic.

I'm not trying to lump them into a no deal Brexit. I'm lumping them in as leave, because they are. Leave is a spectrum, but they stood on a platform that was on that spectrum.

I'm showing that the split between leave (no deal or soft) and remain is still pretty much the same as 2016.

4 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

Let me see, the shadow foreign secretary and most importantly the shadow chancellor and deputy Labour leader have openly said there needs to be a second vote. Numerous Labour MPs have come out and said the same. The ground is moving in one very obvious direction. 

You are just  burying your head in the sand. I’ll be happy to say I told you so later. 

They said that after the vote. Labour stood on a soft Brexit platform for the election and their votes should be counted as such. A 50/50 split is more than fair.