Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

1 hour ago, Eater Sundae said:

“Independents” are not a party. The clue’s in the name.

And that make a difference how? They still got 500 seats despite not being a political party.

There are lots of reasons why people voted the way they did. Theresa May’s claim that the bad showing by the Conservatives is some sort of call to “get on with it” is totally disingenuous. Pro remain parties are the only ones who have done well

Again just to remind everyone that it was local election and those in charge of brexit are still in charge of brexit so nothing alters.

Edited by apelike

3 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Senior ultra Remainers are very aware that the local election results DO NOT indicate a shift in public support for Remaining in the capitalist EU. They are also aware that Remain could not convincingly win a second referendum and that the European elections will be used by the British electorate to mark their displeasure with the ruling class for keeping us prisoners of the EU.

Oh dear! It just gets worse and worse for the Remainer ruling class!

What about the likes of Mogg and Boris, what class are they sticking up for?

3 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

“Prime Minister Theresa May said it was clear the public wanted "to see the issue of Brexit resolved".

Am I reading too much into the fact that Theresa May has now replaced “to see Brexit delivered” with “to see the issue of Brexit resolved”.

Yes, its a bit like you saying the it was a minority that voted leave in 2016, just semantics and statistics.

3 minutes ago, apelike said:

And that make a difference how? They still got 500 seats.

Be careful in making too much of this success for independents.

Most were standing for campaigns like ‘Save our local hospital’, which many would support but would not trade their usual party vote to support the candidate. On  Thursday they went “What the hell, they are getting my vote today”.

Next time they will be back to their usual voting pattern.

6 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Be careful in making too much of this success for independents.

I think the same also applies to the LibDems. :)

44 minutes ago, apelike said:

I think the same also applies to the LibDems. :)

It does but I would say less so.

As Brexit starts to collapse and Labour and the Tories start to shift from Leave to Remain, the Lib Dem’s will benefit enormously from being seen as the only genuinely Remain Party.

I personally think that it is too late for Labour. If they came out as a Remain party, no one will believe them unless they dump Corbyn. 

6 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

As Brexit starts to collapse and Labour and the Tories start to shift from Leave to Remain, the Lib Dem’s will benefit enormously from being seen as the only genuinely Remain Party.

I think that should be if brexit starts to collapse and if Labour and the Tories start to shift! In any case the LibDems have only 11 MP's in parliament so they will not benefit at all from what has happened locally.  It would take a miracle for them to gain enough wallop to do much about brexit.

4 minutes ago, apelike said:

I think that should be if brexit starts to collapse and if Labour and the Tories start to shift!

There is no if about it.

Nobody wants to support a dead duck and if the whole Brexit experiment fails not only will Labour and the Tories drop it like a hot cake but I suspect that there will be a great deal of revisionism about, where suddenly everyone is claiming that they never actually supported Brexit in the first place.

20 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I suspect that there will be a great deal of revisionism about, where suddenly everyone is claiming that they never actually supported Brexit in the first place.

Yep, the 2019 version of Candle in the Wind.

5 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Yep, the 2019 version of Candle in the Wind.

Please stop it , used to love that song before it got  redone in 1997

17 hours ago, apelike said:

And that make a difference how? They still got 500 seats despite not being a political party.

Again just to remind everyone that it was local election and those in charge of brexit are still in charge of brexit so nothing alters.

It makes a difference in that the independents are not obviously aligned to any particular view regarding Brexit.

My original point was that Theresa May had immediately stated that the results (specifically the poor performance by the main parties) was the electorate telling them to get on with it (presumably deliver Brexit). If that were the case, then the Brexit supporting minor parties would have profited from this protest vote. However, UKIP fared badly, but the LDs and Greens did well, totally contradicting Theresa May’s opinion.  It this respect, nothing can be inferred from the independents doing well, except possibly that there was a protest vote against the main parties. They have no bearing on the view whether or not those voters are in in favour of or against Brexit. However, votes for UKIP, the LDs or the Greens do.

1 hour ago, Eater Sundae said:

However, UKIP fared badly, but the LDs and Greens did well, totally contradicting Theresa May’s opinion.

Pretty much what the pundits on Andrew Marr said. Trying to claim that last Thursday’s result is the people asking her to get on and push Brexit through is bogus.