Finally addressing the dangerous cycling problem

Do cycles have to have a means of warning ...hooter, bell etc?

It's irrelevant - almost all cyclists have a voice. Neither is much use if the person you're trying to alert is listening to headphones or in a car with some soundproofing (i.e. all of them).

So its only 3 people, thats OK then. As a matter of interest, whats the number of deaths you reckon there should be before something is done, even if it seems to you, pointless and a waste of time? We talking 100, 1000, 10000? Would it be OK if one of your loved ones was number 4 or 5?

That is a completely specious argument.

With limited resources, they need to be targetted. If 3,000% more cyclists are killed by motorists than pedestrians killed by cyclists it's obvious what is the greater problem and where most effort should be expended.

You are wasting your time the people that brought this law in are probably the same as the countless other motorists who think that the road is just for them.

Apart from the incidents that you have pointed out not so long ago a woman mowed down and killed a cyclist near Abbey Lane while racing her boy friend after they had had a row ,she was also drunk.

So its only 3 people, thats OK then. As a matter of interest, whats the number of deaths you reckon there should be before something is done, even if it seems to you, pointless and a waste of time? We talking 100, 1000, 10000? Would it be OK if one of your loved ones was number 4 or 5?

No deaths would be my preference, quite obviously.

To call it a major problem is to massively overstate the danger presented by cyclists in comparison to other hazards to life, but of course that doesn't get the Daily Mail excited does it.

Do you think it's remotely possible to eliminate this very small amount of deaths in any practical way? Let alone by just changing the penalty for causing such a death?

Personally, I don't.

What you don't know is how these deaths or injuries are caused so any statistics are of little value.

What if pedestrians are to blame through lack of care and attention? Are you advocating helmets and hi-vis for crossing the road? Clearly impracticable so it will never happen.

You are wasting your time the people that brought this law in are probably the same as the countless other motorists who think that the road is just for them.

Apart from the incidents that you have pointed out not so long ago a woman mowed down and killed a cyclist near Abbey Lane while racing her boy friend after they had had a row ,she was also drunk.

Emma Egan. Jailed for just 4 years, released in 2. Coming back to a road near you as soon as she gets that licence back in 2020.

Later convicted of assault while out on licence but let off with a community order.

The other offender she was racing got off scot free.

I know, but I can't stop... Maybe I can change people's thinking, if it's only one person at a time :help:

Emma Egan. Jailed for just 4 years, released in 2. Coming back to a road near you as soon as she gets that licence back in 2020.

Later convicted of assault while out on licence but let off with a community order.

The other offender she was racing got off scot free.

Indeed. Rather a joke of a sentence, wasn't it. The irony that her sister had been killed by a drunk driver - what does it take to make people stop and think?

Let's hope Ride for Eric continues to encourage more people into cycling, as the more cyclists on the road, the safer they are...

Conservative party send out a tweet demonising cyclists, actually showing a photo of cyclists safely and correctly using a protected cycleway

Thatcher once said that anyone still using a bus in their thirties should consider themselves a failure. I guess they view bicycles in a similar way.