Are the people of Sheffield getting fatter?

It`s called Mermaid syndrome.

No, cos that's a thing. This isn't as extreme.

Sheffield is not one of the poorer areas of the country. Where do you get this rubbish from?

From the aisles of Lidl in Darnall, obviously

Lack of exercise is downplayed as an important factor in rising obesity rates. Of cause eating too much junk will make people fat but as a child in the 80s I had fizzy sugary pop, sweets, ice cream etc. As did all my friends and there were few fat kids. However, I walked to school, rode my bike and played outside a lot. No being driven to school or sitting inside playing games or on a computer. I gained weight as a adult, particularly when I got a car and stopped cycling to work. And lost weight through running combined with sensible healthy eating. And kept it off through running and still have treats without going overboard. Exercise isn't just about calorie burning, it increases muscle mass which increases metabolic rates and improves mental health which reduces impulses to eat and drink too much. Slimming diets require a lot of willpower and most often don't work. People should really make an effort to stop driving short distances that could be walked; to help prevent weight gain and reduce air pollution.

From the aisles of Lidl in Darnall, obviously

I love looking at the shopping trolley contents to see if they match up to the pushers physic.

I love looking at the shopping trolley contents to see if they match up to the pushers physic.

Ha ha, interesting idea . . . I do that afterwards and see if the contents of my neighbours blue paper & cardboard boxes match up.

Who’s been eating fresh fruit & veg, and who’s been scoffing takeaways and frozen foods for the past fortnight . . .

How come the poorer people in the 1950s and 1960s when junk food was a rare treat managed it? Sorry but I think it is mainly down to choice of lifestyle and also laziness to some degree. When you hear someone in a supermarket asking their child in a pushchair what they wanted, "a pot noodle and a packet or crisps" then you know something is wrong socially and not because of poverty.

Totally agree with you. Shopping for a family buying healthy fruit and vegetables needn't cost a fortune. Cooking decent meals. So many people just can't be bothered and find it easier to give their children and themselves fast food. A couple of packets of crisps. Chocolate etc. Is it any wonder people are piling weight on.

Another good one is, does the morning paper they are buying match how they look. Don't see many builders buying the times.

Edited by choogling

Seems to be the case over the last few years.

What evidence do you have?

My family and friends live a healthy life and I don't see them getting any fatter.

Brick. Just my observation over the weekend. My personal opinion.

There are many worrying concerns coming from the NHS re obesity. Senior doctors will provide you with evidence. That said i`m genuinely happy you`re all slim.

Joker, merely something i overheard during my trip to Lidl, i did notice a high percentage of overweight folk in brightly coloured clothing.

What evidence do you have?

The NHS have had to buy new beds over the past decade or so costing a fortune. That has been done specifically to accommodate the growing number of overweight people there are now. But this is a countrywide problem and not just Sheffield though.

Joker, merely something i overheard during my trip to Lidl, i did notice a high percentage of overweight folk in brightly coloured clothing.

of course, how silly of me !

Yes, the Roma gypsies have moved into Darnall, haven’t they :hihi: