Best Neighbourhoods in/around Sheffield?

At that price you're looking at mainly 100-year old terraced houses or ex-council houses. I'd go for the former in places with plenty of amenities and transport links nearby or which are close to better areas. For example Woodseats, Heeley, City Road.

The other option I would look at is a new-build flat. There are quite a few in interesting areas that are easily walkable from the train station or on the tram route.

A terraced house in Heeley or Woodseats for 100k? :confused: No chance!

A terraced house in Heeley or Woodseats for 100k? :confused: No chance!

One here:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72909395.html

...and here (needs a bit of work):

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-74431235.html

So yes, £100k terraces in an area you might want to live in are less common than they used to be. Sometimes they might need work or be in a less than ideal position. But they do still exist.

Edited by Bilge

One here:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72909395.html

...and here (needs a bit of work):

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-74431235.html

So yes, £100k terraces in an area you might want to live in are less common than they used to be. Sometimes they might need work or be in a less than ideal position. But they do still exist.

If you go to Rightmove and look at the sold house price data, of the last 200 houses that have sold in Woodseats, only one went for less than £100,000, and it was this uninhabitable mess you'd be looking at spending at least £20k renovating (at least).

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=50034561&sale=5995333&country=england

There will always be the odd ruin that sells for peanuts in any area, but recommending someone look for a terrace in Woodseats with a £100,000 budget isn't really helpful (the average price paid in the past year is £168,000).

The poster would have more luck in the City Road area though, or perhaps even areas like Intake or Handsworth.

Edited by amazon123

Quote katejohnston: We need to either be close to Sheffield station, or a short commute to Sheffield station should we need to commute to other cities for work (we're a management accountant and events logistics co-ordinator should you have any suggestions for places of work too!).

Unless you are cash buyers, would it not be better to look for work before a house? You could then rent for a while which will give you time to form your own opinions about where to buy a suitable property.

If you go to Rightmove and look at the sold house price data, of the last 200 houses that have sold in Woodseats, only one went for less than £100,000, and it was this uninhabitable mess you'd be looking at spending at least £20k renovating (at least).

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=50034561&sale=5995333&country=england

There will always be the odd ruin that sells for peanuts in any area, but recommending someone look for a terrace in Woodseats with a £100,000 budget isn't really helpful (the average price paid in the past year is £168,000).

The poster would have more luck in the City Road area though, or perhaps even areas like Intake or Handsworth.

Quoting an average sale price for an area is no help if you're looking for the few around the bottom of the price bracket. These do exist in the better areas but they will likely need work or there is some other reason for the lower price - e.g. on a main road/no garden/horrible cladding/artex everywhere/whatever.

Or you can go for an easier house to buy in an area where there are plenty of 2-bed houses for £90-100k and they never go above that but maybe you don't really want to live there.

If it was me looking for a house in this position I'd go for the slightly crap house in a good area rather than vice versa.

Someone mentioned Malin Bridge earlier as a similar area. Cheaper than Walkley and Hillsbro but would maybe do you for a year or two and is on the tram.

Someone mentioned Malin Bridge earlier as a similar area. Cheaper than Walkley and Hillsbro but would maybe do you for a year or two and is on the tram.

Malin Bridge is a good mile from the nearest tram stop.

Quoting an average sale price for an area is no help if you're looking for the few around the bottom of the price bracket. These do exist in the better areas but they will likely need work or there is some other reason for the lower price - e.g. on a main road/no garden/horrible cladding/artex everywhere/whatever.

Or you can go for an easier house to buy in an area where there are plenty of 2-bed houses for £90-100k and they never go above that but maybe you don't really want to live there.

If it was me looking for a house in this position I'd go for the slightly crap house in a good area rather than vice versa.

The average house price was just a side point at the end of my post. The fact remains that recommending someone with a budget of £100k look at the terraces in Woodseats is a tad unrealistic.

Malin Bridge is a very small suburb and the tram stop is in the centre , where on earth do you get the 1 mile figure from maybe you meant 100 yards .

Malin Bridge is a very small suburb and the tram stop is in the centre , where on earth do you get the 1 mile figure from maybe you meant 100 yards .

Somehow got Malin Bridge mixed up in my head with Wadsley Bridge :o

Could someone tell me what the nice areas to live in Sheffield are and the ones to avoid? Thanks

South Sheffield is best & richest, Whirlow to Netheredge.

I'd avoid North Sheffield Darnall to Wadsley Bridge to Walkley. North Sheffield is a dump.

Basically follow the highest average house prices & education levels.

---------- Post added 24-07-2018 at 15:21 ----------

Inner city areas are no go too. Manor, Arborthorne, Parsons Cross etc.