Best Neighbourhoods in/around Sheffield?

Sheffield is an interesting city with an incredibly large social divide that is, in my opinion, not good for the harmony of the city. It also suffers from not particularly good race relations. I have lived in many parts of the world and at times Sheffield reminds me of parts of America and South Africa. Dore, for example functions, in many ways, like a gated community would in America.

There are some truly beautiful parts of Sheffield with tree lined streets and large houses. I would include Ranmoor, Fulwood, Nether Green and parts of Millhouses and Ringinglow in this. There are also many deprived areas that simply do not see the same level of investment from the council. The disparity between parks in the city is disgusting.

If you are wealthy enough to live somewhere like Dore or Ringinglow then fine however you run the risk of being one of those people who does not truly engage with the city you live in. Instead utilising John Lewis and Waitrose and spending the rest of your time hiding away in your big house.

The school situation in Sheffield is also a disgrace to the council. The disparity in funding between the schools in the south-west and the rest of the city is appalling. So too is the way the council draw the catchment areas in order to ensure the selectivity of schools like Silverdale is maintained. This is why there has been an enormous influx of families to the south west and the situation is now unsustainable.

Sheffield is an interesting city with an incredibly large social divide that is, in my opinion, not good for the harmony of the city. It also suffers from not particularly good race relations. I have lived in many parts of the world and at times Sheffield reminds me of parts of America and South Africa. Dore, for example functions, in many ways, like a gated community would in America.

There are some truly beautiful parts of Sheffield with tree lined streets and large houses. I would include Ranmoor, Fulwood, Nether Green and parts of Millhouses and Ringinglow in this. There are also many deprived areas that simply do not see the same level of investment from the council. The disparity between parks in the city is disgusting.

If you are wealthy enough to live somewhere like Dore or Ringinglow then fine however you run the risk of being one of those people who does not truly engage with the city you live in. Instead utilising John Lewis and Waitrose and spending the rest of your time hiding away in your big house.

The school situation in Sheffield is also a disgrace to the council. The disparity in funding between the schools in the south-west and the rest of the city is appalling. So too is the way the council draw the catchment areas in order to ensure the selectivity of schools like Silverdale is maintained. This is why there has been an enormous influx of families to the south west and the situation is now unsustainable.

Let me get this right. You're saying that the Lib Dem claims that those parts of the city which could be considered "Labour's favoured areas" are, in fact, in the wealthier parts of the city?

That really is an eye opener.

It's simple. And it's the same for most major cities in the UK (due to the prevailing Westerly wind and the fact that this has led to the industrial areas being in the East and the better residential areas to the West).

West is best.

But it's expensive and you can get a similar house for much less if you choose to live elsewhere.

The best areas are Dore, Whirlow, Ringinglow, Ranmoor, Fulwood.

And if you can't afford those, then look close to them for Totley, Bradway, Millhouses, Ecclesall, Broomhill etc.

You mean apart from the gates. And the private police.

So actually, not at all like a gated community, in fact, like the opposite, a not gated community. Yes, I totally see your point.

There are some truly beautiful parts of Sheffield with tree lined streets and large houses.

Well, not since Amey have had their way.

I would include Ranmoor, Fulwood, Nether Green and parts of Millhouses and Ringinglow in this. There are also many deprived areas that simply do not see the same level of investment from the council. The disparity between parks in the city is disgusting.

You've studied people in big houses in depth then?

Do councils decide on school funding? Do catchment areas even exist anymore, and if they do, is it the council again?

---------- Post added 19-02-2018 at 22:59 ----------

It's simple. And it's the same for most major cities in the UK (due to the prevailing Westerly wind and the fact that this has led to the industrial areas being in the East and the better residential areas to the West).

West is best.

But it's expensive and you can get a similar house for much less if you choose to live elsewhere.

The best areas are Dore, Whirlow, Ringinglow, Ranmoor, Fulwood.

And if you can't afford those, then look close to them for Totley, Bradway, Millhouses, Ecclesall, Broomhill etc.

You've confused West with South West somehow.

In a post full of gonads, this is the biggest crock of *nonsense* that you've managed to concoct.

Funding for schools in Sheffield is indeed disparate, but not in the way that you claim. Have a squint at this and borrow a thinking cap from somewhere.

The schools in more challenging circumstances all receive enhanced funding. That's always been the way, and rightly so.

As for Silverdale's catchment, it has changed markedly in the last ten years. Not necessarily for the better, either.It certainly isn't selective, as you claim.

Nottinghamshire is quite a nice area if you look around for some of the out of town areas like Giltbrook, and the added benefit of fairly good transport and plenty of shops.

Nottinghamshire is quite a nice area if you look around for some of the out of town areas like Giltbrook, and the added benefit of fairly good transport and plenty of shops.

Traditionally though Nottinghamshire isn't really considered to be "in Sheffield".

West is best.

But totally away from all motorway access points, so therefore awful for commuting.

Born and lived in Sheffield all my life. Sheffield is not a good place to live, I would not recommend it to anyone, other than someone I hated I guess. I would look elsewhere. Seriously.

I notice the op said

Thanks for your reply. It's a low budget, probably need to rent for a while until I get my money through, then I've got a £50,000 deposit

But then everyone recommends high budget areas. Which is because they are no good but low budget areas. You will have to pay a lot in rent, which will make it harder to save. Especially when the better areas are not affordable even with well paid Sheffield jobs, of which there are few. Check the job sites and you will see Sheffield has very few well paying jobs compared to Leeds for instance.

Edited by avalunche

But totally away from all motorway access points, so therefore awful for commuting.

Born and lived in Sheffield all my life. Sheffield is not a good place to live, I would not recommend it to anyone, other than someone I hated I guess. I would look elsewhere. Seriously.

I notice the op said

But then everyone recommends high budget areas. Which is because they are no good but low budget areas. You will have to pay a lot in rent, which will make it harder to save. Especially when the better areas are not affordable even with well paid Sheffield jobs, of which there are few. Check the job sites and you will see Sheffield has very few well paying jobs compared to Leeds for instance.

I can't understand why anyone 'born and lived in Sheffield all their life' would want to stay if they hate it so much.

I choose to live in Sheffield, and love it. I'm not a local - I came here by choice. Since leaving school I have lived in (in order) Newcastle, Manchester, London, Auckland NZ, Manchester (again), Melbourne, Auckland (again), Sydney, Singapore, Bangkok, London (again), Hong Kong, Phnom Penh, Yangon and now Sheffield. Never been happier and felt more at home than I do in Sheffield.

And anyone who claims there are no decent paying jobs is talking nonsense, and clearly not in the market for those jobs. Also, putting aside pure salary levels and focusing on disposable income, Sheffield is the fourth best place to work in the country, after Glasgow, Aberdeen and Hull.

https://realbusiness.co.uk/current-affairs/2016/11/10/breakdown-britains-best-paid-cities-richest-poorest-uk-workers/

Edited by bendix

Also, not all commuting takes place by car, and ideally if you live in Sheffield (or anywhere) you work in the same place. Commuting is a huge waste of time.

Wasnt Sheffield also named recently as the UK city with the fastest growing house prices just recently? Clearly not everyone hates it as much as the typical sheffieldforum-er.

To me it provides that perfect mix of work life balance. i can see why those in their 20s might find Manchester or London or Leeds more exciting to live, but there is more to life than clubs and pubs and going out. Besides, those things are just an hour or two away if you want them.

Seriously, it must be so very depressing to have lived in a place all your life and to hate it so much. I can't imagine how sad that must feel.

Edited by bendix

I am looking to buy in a 2 bed property in and around Sheffield, but my budget of £90k is limited, so I cannot afford a place in my preferred areas of Walkley, Crookes, Dore etc.

I have considered moving further out and getting a train, bus or tram into work. So I am now looking at areas such as Waterthorpe, Mosborough, Swinton, Catcliffe, Brinsworth, Trenton, Mexborough and Bolton-upon-Dearne. Are any of these reasonable places to live in ? I know some of them are not classed as Sheffield but was hoping for some honest opinions

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

I do not drive so must rely on public transport, and would ideally like to be within 30 minutes away from Meadowhall and Sheffield