Bins they are a'changin

Yes, I first saw these in China 8 years ago, there's a strong environmental culture amongst the general publuc despite what popular media tells us. We could learn a lot, if we weren't so convinced that we're better than that.

I know very little about China. Not long ago I imagined it to be a primitive country, but I suspect it is now a force to be reckoned with, when it comes to technology.

We've been told to leave our blue bin and blue box out tomorrow whether they're full or not. I presume this heralds the arrival of the brown bin, but do they take the blue box away at the same time? We'd quite like to hang onto ours.

If you want to keep it, you may.

Just don't put it out.

If you want to keep it, you may.

Just don't put it out.

Put it out by all means so that they can empty it, they will leave you the empty box because the council will not take them. They advise you to take them to the tip, mine will be put in the brown plastic bin, it's plastic isn't it?

Put it out by all means so that they can empty it, they will leave you the empty box because the council will not take them. They advise you to take them to the tip, mine will be put in the brown plastic bin, it's plastic isn't it?

Yes, it is- but not the 'right' kind acceptable in a bin!

You can request the council to collect your blue box if you have no use for it

Use link below

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/forms/af/bins-recycling/request-collection-unwanted-blue-box.html

I haven't got a blue bin, it was stolen as was the previous one. I am not paying for a replacement. So what do I do?

There's no charge for replacing blue bins.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/sheffield/home/bins-recycling-services/bin-charges.html

---------- Post added 03-09-2018 at 14:04 ----------

I've just come back from Germany, where there's a 25 cents deposit on most glass and plastic bottles. You get the Money (or vouchers) back when you return them to a shop. Much like it used to be here with old pop bottles. It seems to encourage people to take 'em back, causes less domestic waste so the bins aren't as full, and cuts down on street litter.

Would a similar scheme work here do you think (it will probably be introduced anyway), or would it just be something else to moan about?

Yes to both questions.