UK part of worst artillery assault 'since Vietnam war'

An Amnesty International report has cast major doubts on the claims of the US, France and Britain that their targeting in Raqqa, Syria during the 4 month long siege was very precise. Untold numbers of civilians died, some families moving several times and being again caught up in the bombardment, killing even family members.

A senior US military officer is quoted as saying that “more artillery shells were launched into Raqqa than anywhere since the end of the Vietnam war”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/us-coalition-raqqa-isis-civilian-deaths-amnesty-international-report-uk-france-a8383416.html?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1528186474

I find it intolerable that our government is a party to this.

Sad state of affairs isn't it.

According to the article all artillery was fired by the yanks, and 90% of the air strikes.

I don't doubt UK forces may well have killed or injured some civilians but I also don't doubt every effort was made to reduce them. What's the alternative? Leave ISIS to it?

What I object to is the lies that try to tidy it all up, and justify it, so we think only the bad guys are being killed.

Do they think we're stupid....

What I object to is the lies that try to tidy it all up, and justify it, so we think only the bad guys are being killed.

Yes they do and they are right too. Most people are stupid and believe the rubbish spouted by our politicians

Just a mess. ISIS will mutate and reappear somewhere in Africa soon enough and the whole cycle will repeat itself again.

Just a mess. ISIS will mutate and reappear somewhere in Africa soon enough and the whole cycle will repeat itself again.

ISIS is already everywhere in the World and is growing through the constant radicalisation of young and easily influenced Muslims via the Internet. Nowhere is safe anymore, and it will only get worse. In all conflicts there are innocent civilians killed. Can't blame the forces of good for the faces of evil hiding behind women and children.There are too many of them to fight them from the inside covertly. So innocents are going to suffer.

Lies (deception) are a fundamental aspect of warfare, that includes deceiving the enemy and feeding the general population a more palatable narrative that justifies any action the powers that be want to take.

Yes they do and they are right too. Most people are stupid and believe the rubbish spouted by our politicians

And the media.

I’m still waiting for David Cameron and Nicolas Sarkozy to be taken to account for reducing Libya to rubble and all the ensuing chaos that followed eg. ISIS have a foothold in the country. Economically and socially it was the most developed of African countries now the launch site for thousands of Sub Saharan Africans crossing the Med risking their lives.