Do some people not have pride in their work

Just re doing a bathroom for someone which the council contractor s fitted when “modernising” a few years ago and my god everything I’ve touched has failed fallen off or fell to pieces !!!! Plastered over wallpaper soldered joints which fall apart screws hammered in and nails not hammered in properly from one bodge to another , do some tradesmen not take any pride in their work ???

Sorry to all the good ones out there

Rant over

There are council workers who do take pride in doing their job properly. I know because I live next to one of them and I trust him to look after my roof, partly because I know he's legit, partly because I know where he lives, and partly because if my roof leaks his house gets wet!

He's been instrumental in helping others I know to get shoddy work from council workers remedied too, but it's clear that he's really struggling against the dreadful work done by others, many of which are subcontractors who get paid whether or not their work is competent, just from 'carrying it out'.

To be fair most of the Council refurb work is overseen by Keepmoat now and contracted out on the cheap. Most of those contractors are not that bothered by pride or quality as noted by the appalling standard of work carried out on my home. Chips on the new wall cupboards, wall tiling with spacers still showing, wall sockets not level, window sills at an angle and sloping, not levelling off the floor before laying new vinyl so it has bumps in it. The contractors seem to regard the people getting the work done as getting it done free and as its only council don't seem to care that much. The council inspectors seem to pass this as well and any complaints fall on deaf ears. Oh and the stainless steel sinks are made from Spanish steel and are inferior to the ones they have replaced.

To be fair most of the Council refurb work is overseen by Keepmoat now and contracted out on the cheap. Most of those contractors are not that bothered by pride or quality as noted by the appalling standard of work carried out on my home. Chips on the new wall cupboards, wall tiling with spacers still showing, wall sockets not level, window sills at an angle and sloping, not levelling off the floor before laying new vinyl so it has bumps in it. The contractors seem to regard the people getting the work done as getting it done free and as its only council don't seem to care that much. The council inspectors seem to pass this as well and any complaints fall on deaf ears. Oh and the stainless steel sinks are made from Spanish steel and are inferior to the ones they have replaced.

Basically , what you would expect from the council , cheap :(

To be fair what else can they do other than cheap.

Taxpayers would all be up in arms in they paid top whack for premium service. God sake the newspapers already get all frothy mouthed if civil service contractors budget for more than a plank of wood.

We get what we pay for.

Not really as the actual contract tendered by Keepmoat was not cheap. Its Keepmoat that are doing it on the cheap by tendering it out on the cheap after they take their cut. The whole idea from the council was to get rid of Kier and for all this to be bought back "in home" under council control. That idea now seems to be redundant with Keepmoat now taking control as they also seem to have done with the building of new homes on what was once council owned land.

Not really as the actual contract tendered by Keepmoat was not cheap. Its Keepmoat that are doing it on the cheap by tendering it out on the cheap after they take their cut. The whole idea from the council was to get rid of Kier and for all this to be bought back "in home" under council control. That idea now seems to be redundant with Keepmoat now taking control as they also seem to have done with the building of new homes on what was once council owned land.

So basically the same as the council did with Amey . How long is the councils contract with Keepmoat ?

Taxpayers would all be up in arms in they paid top whack for premium service.

But it is a premium service as it is tendered out and its not always given to the lowest tender.

When it comes to council homes and refurbishments it is not paid for by the general taxpayer. It comes out of the housing revenue budget which is self funding from rent income and I think RTB sales. A proportion of all rent paid is allocated and put aside for repairs and refurbishments.

---------- Post added 30-05-2018 at 00:05 ----------

So basically the same as the council did with Amey . How long is the councils contract with Keepmoat ?

Now you got me on that one as I dont know. I assume that as the contracts are tendered it will vary but I believe they got the contract to do all the recent internal refurbishments for SCC homes and that is usually on a 20 year turnaround.

Edited by apelike