Radio Luxembourg

yer i remember good old luxemberg layind under my bed sheets with a little tranny and having to turn it round or adjust tuner to try and get a desent signal was a nightmare some nights but kept trying

oh! the good music we listened to, you could actually hear the lyrics and a recognisable tune, artist stayed in the charts for weeks and some are still playing today, not like the so called "bands" we have now, who will remember them in 6mths time? let alone in 10yrs.

yer i remember good old luxemberg layind under my bed sheets with a little tranny and having to turn it round or adjust tuner to try and get a desent signal was a nightmare some nights but kept trying

Hi Cookingfat your post brought it all back I did just the same the signal wavering in and out all the time and then waking up next morning with the tranny headphones buzzing away in my ears,it seems ages ago now happy days!.:hihi::love:

oh! the good music we listened to, you could actually hear the lyrics and a recognisable tune, artist stayed in the charts for weeks and some are still playing today, not like the so called "bands" we have now, who will remember them in 6mths time? let alone in 10yrs.

When did groups become bands? A band used to be a bunch of blokes playing trumpets.

If you can remember listening to the Ovaltinies, and Dan Dare ,pilot of the future , you're an old F--t,like me.

Any one recall on RL around 1958-60 a programme they had called 'Smash hits' where people told of records the disliked ? The DJ would play the record and then 'smash' it but to the sound of broken crockery as 78's or other discs then didn't break like that. I think they played 'So long it's been good to know ya' at the end.

I spent many nights in the front room of my girlfriend's house. Just the two of us listening to Radio Luxemburg and....use your imagination. :hihi:

Any one recall on RL around 1958-60 a programme they had called 'Smash hits' where people told of records the disliked ? The DJ would play the record and then 'smash' it but to the sound of broken crockery as 78's or other discs then didn't break like that. I think they played 'So long it's been good to know ya' at the end.

It would be a 10 hour show these days, with all the crap music of today.

---------- Post added 05-02-2018 at 17:35 ----------

Two popular quiz shows on TV in the 60's Take Your Pick and Double Your Money started out on Radio Luxembourg, even though they were taped in England. The big difference to the BBC was that they could play commercials, and they were never called a pirate station, that term started with Radio Caroline and the others that broadcast from ships outside British waters.

So FAB 208 in the ‘70s. If anything dates it it had to be the “Peter Stuyvesant” top 20(another world!!). Love the reminiscences about the reception.It really was hit and miss as the satellite whirred round and always when you really liked a song. Used to have the same issue with AFN(American Forces Network) which was one of the few places you could hear the American charts then on a Friday night.

Loved my miniature Japanese transistor with its single earpiece headphone.

Remember the Decca Record Show - Mondays at 10pm. Half an hour of Pete Murray, then half an hour of Jack Jackson - I think.

When did groups become bands? A band used to be a bunch of blokes playing trumpets.

Late 60's - about the time LP's became albums.

(yes I know I'm replying to a 6 year old post but JH is still a regular on SF)

Late 60's - about the time LP's became albums.

(yes I know I'm replying to a 6 year old post but JH is still a regular on SF)

Albums were always called that in the US, LP is more or less a British thing. Probably right about the transition from groups to bands though, I think it started with Chicago about 1967,now they were more like a band as we knew it, as they had a 3 man horn section. Of course, they were called Chicago Transit Authority in those early days lol