South Yorks mayoral race.

Guest busdriver1
Can't decide between Yorkshire Party and English Democrats. Definitely not Labour though. Though a Labour win is probably inevitable

same here, the only 2 that seem to be being honest, now wouldn't that be refreshing.

No. Local Government used to be non-political and in some areas it still is (Ratepayers Party etc.)

Are you mixing that up with Parish councils which are generally non-political? Sheffield council started off as the Corporation of Sheffield in 1843 when it was formed and since 1846 has been politically run.

Can't decide between Yorkshire Party and English Democrats. Definitely not Labour though. Though a Labour win is probably inevitable

I wont be voting for two jobs jarvis, never voted tory yet and never will, libs are out because when it comes down to it scratch the surface and theres a tory inside.

Just read the bumpf -

Who wants a job with no power and no budget.

And No salary that I can discover so far?

I wont be voting for two jobs jarvis, never voted tory yet and never will, libs are out because when it comes down to it scratch the surface and theres a tory inside.

I wont be voting for Jarvis either, how he can possibly devote the time and the effort to being our mayor is quite frankly beyond me:loopy:.

Lets say there is a real pressing problem facing South Yorkshire, and at the same time an important vote in the Commons.

Well we all know where he will be don't we, and it wont be serving the people of South Yorkshire.

I wont be voting for Jarvis either, how he can possibly devote the time and the effort to being our mayor is quite frankly beyond me:loopy:.

Lets say there is a real pressing problem facing South Yorkshire, and at the same time an important vote in the Commons.

Well we all know where he will be don't we, and it wont be serving the people of South Yorkshire.

Representing his constituents in parliament is serving the people of south Yorkshire.

Even if the role had some power its difficult to imagine a problem which required the physical presence of the mayor rather than him being at the end of one of these new fangled communications devices.

He would only be à couple of hours away by train, plane or car and he could always do the pairing thing where an mp voting the other way didn't vote.

I'm not sure Jarvis has any intention of actually doing anything meaningful as mayor of South Yorkshire he just wants the role as a holding position while he negotiates a Yorkshire wide deal.

I agree I will not vote Labour in this one simply because I can't agree with his position on wanting to get rid of the post with a view to us being in a general/larger Leeds region...... Errrr I mean Yorkshire region.

Not had a chance to read the booklet as yet but will have a look this next week.

I have read the booklet. It doesn't tell me much, and certainly not enough to confer a six figure salary on someone. None of the candidates inspire me with confidence. I'd need to know a lot more about their track record.

I really don't want a mayor at all, but I won't be voting Labour (Dan Jarvis,) for all he might want to abolish the post. What's the betting once he gets a taste of power, he changes his mind.

Totally underwhelmed by the whole fiasco, but leaning towards the Yorkshire Party candidate if I must vote! (And I feel I must indeed vote given the efforts made to secure votes for women! )

The powers the Mayor will have are up to The City Region Combined Authority.

Furthermore, the wording in the bumpf is:-

'the Mayor and each constituent council would need to agree to any such additional powers being devolved from Government'

As of now according to the guide, None.

As for the future is reads as if every one of 'each constituent council' needed to agree on devolved powers.

IMO . . . . don't hold your breath waiting to know what they may, or may not, agree on.

Anna B. - Where is this six figure salary mentioned?