South Yorks mayoral race.

The Mayor who abolished the bus lanes was Joe Anderson

I know Liverpool is odd and has two mayors: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/two-mayors-war-over-claims-13246519

Liverpool doesn't have 2 Mayors; nor does any other city / town as far as I know?

The thread is about regional Mayors. Totally different.

When the new S. Yorks Mayor is elected, Sheffield, Barnsley, Doncaster & Rotherham will still have theirs. Local councillors with a casting vote.

Liverpool doesn't have 2 Mayors; nor does any other city / town as far as I know?

The thread is about regional Mayors. Totally different.

When the new S. Yorks Mayor is elected, Sheffield, Barnsley, Doncaster & Rotherham will still have theirs. Local councillors with a casting vote.

The Liverpool Mayor is a directly elected one though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayor_of_Liverpool. Like the London Mayor

Whereas the existing Sheffield Mayor is a ceremonial Lord Mayor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mayors_of_Sheffield

If you count Liverpool's Lord Mayor, then they actually have 3 mayors

The Liverpool Mayor is a directly elected one though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayor_of_Liverpool. Like the London Mayor

Whereas the existing Sheffield Mayor is a ceremonial Lord Mayor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mayors_of_Sheffield

If you count Liverpool's Lord Mayor, then they actually have 3 mayors

Find a mirror & have a good word with yourself.

---------- Post added 23-04-2018 at 15:51 ----------

Wikipedia. The Encyclopedia Britannica for the new millennium.

I believe (you'll correct me if I'm wrong) that this idea of a regional Mayor is a government idea, and the regions have been 'bribed' with a promise of funds to go along with it.

So my question is - what's in it for the government? What is the rationale behind having a regional Mayor? What are these Mayors supposed to do that a council and CEO can't do? I know it worked in London with high profile Boris, less so with Javid.

But none of the candidates here have the same flair for publicity as Boris has. I really don't see the point. And knowing this government here'll be a downside in the small print that we haven't heard about yet...

Ooh I'll vote for anyone who'd build a replica Globe Theatre in Sheffield

I believe (you'll correct me if I'm wrong) that this idea of a regional Mayor is a government idea, and the regions have been 'bribed' with a promise of funds to go along with it.

So my question is - what's in it for the government? What is the rationale behind having a regional Mayor? What are these Mayors supposed to do that a council and CEO can't do? I know it worked in London with high profile Boris, less so with Javid.

But none of the candidates here have the same flair for publicity as Boris has. I really don't see the point. And knowing this government here'll be a downside in the small print that we haven't heard about yet...

The idea is that Central Government can devolve infrastructural powers that they would ordinarily be concerned with, local transport, roads, building etc.

The idea is that at a regional level, money could be better targeted at regional infrastructure projects.

One that springs to mind is the conversion of the A64 to a dual carriageway for it's full length (talked about by Central Government for over 30 years but only partially implemented). This would help solve congestion problems and allow the Yorkshire coastal towns to help maximise their potential for tourism etc.

It may not have a direct impact on day to day South Yorks. but would help to generate an increase in the Yorkshire economy.

The idea is that Central Government can devolve infrastructural powers that they would ordinarily be concerned with, local transport, roads, building etc.

The idea is that at a regional level, money could be better targeted at regional infrastructure projects.

One that springs to mind is the conversion of the A64 to a dual carriageway for it's full length (talked about by Central Government for over 30 years but only partially implemented). This would help solve congestion problems and allow the Yorkshire coastal towns to help maximise their potential for tourism etc.

It may not have a direct impact on day to day South Yorks. but would help to generate an increase in the Yorkshire economy.

Mmm .... maybe.

Call me a cynic, but it sounds to me like they are trying to offload areas that are problematic with a handful of cash and then wash their hands of them.

The money won't be enough to cover it of course, (like with the councils) and they will be expected to do miracles with very little. If they don't succeed it will be their fault, and nothing to do with the government.

In these radically changing times, I don't think this government has any idea what to do with anywhere north of Watford.

In these radically changing times, I don't think this government has any idea what to do with anywhere north of Watford.

That's the whole point of devolving powers locally, give the Mayor advised by councillors some real power to make infrastructure decisions. Unfortunately because of the South Yorkshire councils falling out it doesn't look like we'll get the £30 million budget or the powers to make change.

Mmm .... maybe.

Call me a cynic, but it sounds to me like they are trying to offload areas that are problematic with a handful of cash and then wash their hands of them.

The money won't be enough to cover it of course, (like with the councils) and they will be expected to do miracles with very little. If they don't succeed it will be their fault, and nothing to do with the government.

Don't worry , chances are the mayor will be the Labour chap who has millions to spend and then you will be able to hold him to account :)

Seems a bit like the Police Commisioner or whatever he's called. A nice pay packet but get him to actually do something and there's no power. "That's an operational matter". Could almost be

Seems a bit like the Police Commisioner or whatever he's called. A nice pay packet but get him to actually do something and there's no power. "That's an operational matter". Could almost be

Totally agree