John Reid - to fall on his sword early next week

The good thing about being a party that has no authority (as per the Tory Party) is that you can always laugh and talk rubbish without ever having to back anything up.

They talk about the Labour Party harking back. All they can do is talk about how great it was under Thatcher back in the eighties when she was selling the country to the yanks and japs

His PhD thesis at Stirling University was entitled 'Warrior aristocrats in crisis: the political effects of the transition from the slave trade to palm oil commerce in the nineteenth century Kingdom of Dahomey'.

I believe he was a 'Marxist' at the time, so I can imagine the kind of methodology he adopted. What a perfect grounding though for the seven Cabinet posts he has held - i.e. an expert in palm oil commerce in Dahomey in the 19th century.

Chav, you know as well as I do that base of your degree is not important.

It is show you have an anylitical mind.

Yes, an anylitical mind is very important.

Yes, an anylitical mind is very important.

Mine was in Engineering not English :D

Mine was in Engineering not English :D

Good for you - a vocationally useful one then. I trust you had it proof read before submission :hihi:

It is often said that greatest quality of an engineer is the inability to spell. :D

It is often said that greatest quality of an engineer is the inability to spell. :D

Aye, but it’s not always true!

Right, and also wrong I think.

For some occupations, the demonstrated ability to gain a degree, and the mental training, and development of the individual's analytical skills, carry a lot of weight. Fully agree with you there.

However, if given the choice, an employer will prefer somebody with a degree that has relevance to their business.

I'd rather our politicians were all experienced and successful corporate administrators, or just talented businessmen before they were permitted to stand for election, rather than most of them cutting their teeth in the misguided dens of incompetence and waste that local councils tend to be.

I'd certainly like politicians to have qualifications that they could use, and minds to match. Some of them are idiots and it’s sad to think that our beloved process of democratic election has allowed them into the Commons.

i really think the people in these jobs who make not just wrong decisions, but catostrophic ones, should be held accountable its not enough to just say ..oops and carry on regardless.they want getting rid of & someone put in who is up for the job. if these people were paid for results they wouldn,t get a balloon . never mind a good salary + pension .

Yestadi I cudnt spel enginear now I ar wun

i really think the people in these jobs who make not just wrong decisions, but catostrophic ones, should be held accountable its not enough to just say ..oops and carry on regardless.they want getting rid of & someone put in who is up for the job. if these people were paid for results they wouldn,t get a balloon . never mind a good salary + pension .

Perhaps after all these cockups people will realise that the government do not run the country it's the Civil Service How minister can be expected to know everthing that is happening in his department when he has only been in the job for a few days. How many chairmen of big companies know what is happening on the shopfloor.

To go back to the thread title, I really don't think there's a cat in hell's chance of Reid going early. That guy has his sights on the top job, and when Blair starts to wobble, as he surely will in time, Reid will have the traps laid for both him and Brown.

Reid will ensure that blood is spilled in the Home Office, in the way of sackings and demotions, to strengthen his position.

The guy is a street fighter, who has had many high profile positions(although not as many as Prescott eh!) and he will be licking his lips at the prospect of a fight for the Prime ministers job.

If I were Gordon Brown, I wouldn't be in the same room, alone with Reid. If it had to be so, I would be wearing a suit of armour.