What is equality to you?

Vaati

The bickering and insults can cease. You were warned by another mod only a few hours ago. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

4 minutes ago, K1Machine said:

Positive discrimination is still discrimination and its wrong.

Positive discrimination is also illegal it seems; I never knew that.

The lawyer in the video clip does make a distinction between "positive discrimination" and "posltive action" though.

44 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Can you be more specific please, rather than making vague insinuations.

What exactly do you mean by, "better than this"?

I'm sure there are other threads relating to positive discrimination; not relating to this specifc case though. The mods will merge if they see fit.

No, this is specifically a duplicate of a thread where this exact case is being discussed already.

The last several pages have been about this specific case.

Ah yes, so there is. I'll have a read through.

May make sense to merge if the same matter is being discussed there.

There's no such thing as positive discrimination. It's just a fancy term for minorities getting a leg up at the expense of someone better qualified. Discrimination is discrimination.

7 hours ago, Waldo said:

Anyhow, here's the clip of Mathew being interviewed on This Morning by the lovely Holly Willoby and some twit...

How dare you discriminate on grounds of loveliness?

Discrimination based upon skin colour and ethnic origin is racism. 

Anybody who discriminates against somebody based on their skin colour is a racist. 

Affluent upper middle class management in the police seem to believe that discriminating against white working class male job applicants, based on their skin colour, somehow excuses the enormous economic privilege these wealthy middle class bosses have enjoyed all their life.

It doesn't.

Edited by Car Boot

It seems Cheshire Police required candidates to demonstrate honesty and integrity throughout the application process, while they themselves practiced discrimination based on race, sex and sexual orientation. 

We have to ask ourselves, are all middle-class people secretly racist?

Edited by Car Boot

17 hours ago, makapaka said:

It’s correcting previous wrongs.....

Quote;

“In Europe, positive action are measures which are targeted at protected groups in order to enable or encourage members of those groups to overcome or minimise disadvantage; or to meet the different needs of the protected group; or to enable or encourage persons in protected groups to participate in an activity. In the United Kingdom in the Equality Act 2010 ss 158-159, the term is used in the context of employment to allow selection of a candidate from an "under-represented" group, so long as he or she is no less than equally qualified compared to another potential candidate that is not from the under-represented group”

I can’t see what your problem is with that?

My problem is that it is still discrimination and people would be losing out on the basis of gender/race etc. I've stated this several times now. "Previous wrongs" are of no relevance to someone losing out on a job because another candidate was the "right" gender/race etc.

Equality is looking at any human being and valuing them as much as the next one. It is that simple.

I think positive action is okay in so far as you provide opportunities for education and improvement to all disadvantaged INDIVIDUALS.

I get that the administration of such a system would be difficult (to determine who qualifies etc); and so we just provide opportunities to broad groups who are underrepresented (based of protected physical characteristics etc). It's not a fair system, but it does have merit with regards to being practical to administer.

But yeah, my ideal would be to help individuals based on disadvantage alone. These individuals would be provided skills and education to help themselves; but if they don't try, don't engage with the help they're offered; screw em. There are just way too many people who are trying to help themselves, without support, and are struggling to get by.

I don't understand why my position is seemingly abhorrent (to some)?

Edited by Waldo

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

Equality is looking at any human being and valuing them as much as the next one. It is that simple.

So simple that white men always seem to do better.