Slidey pavements

Had anyone noticed how slippy the new pavements /tarmac are? Is ridiculous they seem to attract frost or hold the water... Seriously dangerous. The roads seem to be the same... We might be in for a troublesome winter

Had anyone noticed how slippy the new pavements /tarmac are? Is ridiculous they seem to attract frost or hold the water... Seriously dangerous. The roads seem to be the same... We might be in for a troublesome winter

Yes I've been worrying about that since they resurfaced Ringinglow Road, especially as they don't usually grit the section between Ringinglow and the Derbyshire border. I've taken to coming into Sheffield via Sheephill Road when the readout in my car shows 3 deg or below.

Had anyone noticed how slippy the new pavements /tarmac are?

Yes! I thought it was just my new shoes at first but a few people have said this now.

a smooth footpath being slippery when it's covered in frost and ice... hardly a suprise?

Hardly ridiculous, there's always a chance of frost / ice in the winter months.

We didn't generally have to put up warning signs for the old bumpy roads and pavements, perhaps people used their initiative. I don't think the new surfaces actively attract frost really. Maybe it's safest to stay indoors until the day warms up a bit.

We didn't generally have to put up warning signs for the old bumpy roads and pavements, perhaps people used their initiative. I don't think the new surfaces actively attract frost really. Maybe it's safest to stay indoors until the day warms up a bit.

As I've said in other thread it's down to them using Stone Mastic Ashphalt which is very shiny until it weathers.

I would recommend everyone gets some Yaktrax for icy days. They're brilliant, I can walk like normal on icy ground with mine, and I hate slipping on ice.

I have found when the roads and pavement are cracked and rough it's easier to maintain your balance.

When they redid S35 pavements they lowered the curb corners / bends and stuck down a sort of knobbly plastic / rubber mat supposable to help people with mobility scooters get on and off the pavements I have noticed these are slippery when wet before we have had any ice and snow, anyone else noticed this.

Edited by MEC176

I don't think you quite understand the issue being discussed here.

Let me explain slowly using my own experience.

I tread the same footpaths frequently for my 2 mile daily walk to work as i have done for 3 years now.

I would say just under half of those footpaths have been renewed.

What i noticed immediately is (even with trainers on) i am a lot less sure-footed on the new paths due to the sliding and slipping even when it is not blatantly frosty nor below/close to freezing .

I have absolutely no such problem on the 'older' sections.

Maybe over time the surface will become less slippery but there is no doubt in my mind that the new paths ARE indeed slippery. So people aren't going mad, or not using their initiative nor need to stay indoors to avoid the 'frost'.

To me the materials used look and 'feel' very different. The old footpaths have a much rougher finish whilst new ones are dead smooth...

I wonder if Sheffield A and E statistics show a marked rise in attendees that have slipped since we have had these new pavement and road surfaces?