Cyclists with dazzling lights

Lights shouldn't be flashing while moving either, it's harder for other road users to see exactly where you are at night if you're moving and they are flashing.

But I agree, lights should be angled down slightly as to illuminate the road/part of the bike wheels to make it more visible all round....

Why would we point our lights to the ground that would be of no use to anyone.

Bright lights are bright for a reason and that is to be seen by road users and not for my benefit to see where I'm going.

Light's have no use as guiders on dark evening for us cyclist's there more for your benefit

Clearly you've never cycled off-road at night or on a unlit road.

---------- Post added 30-10-2017 at 12:31 ----------

Lights shouldn't be flashing while moving either, it's harder for other road users to see exactly where you are at night if you're moving and they are flashing.

But I agree, lights should be angled down slightly as to illuminate the road/part of the bike wheels to make it more visible all round....

The human eye is drawn to movement. Cyclists use flashing lights because they make them more visible. A steady light is less noticeable, but is easier to track, as you say.

I've always run one steady and one flashing light on both ends of my bike when riding on the road. Then you get the best of both worlds (and a backup in case one fails).

Edited by Isabelle

I use a steady but bright front light and angle it down to the ground so as no to dazzle people. I do think flashing on the really bright ones is quite dangerous to other road users. That said I always put my rear one on flashing as I think it makes you more visible without being dazzling.

Even with all that I ride around assuming that absolutely no one can see me, which is often true. Defensive riding is better than any lights/hi viz at stopping you getting knocked off.

this is an interesting read https://www.cyclinguk.org/blog/chris-juden/bobby-dazzlers and its a few year sold now

Clearly not a new problem but explains well what the manufacturers are up to.

For me the brighter lights are seriously dangerous and cyclists who buy the brightest and "best" need to about what they are doing - I simply cannot look in that direction or judge the speed/position at all well - is that the effect you really want?

Why would we point our lights to the ground that would be of no use to anyone.

Because it's the law; See The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 No. 1796 PART III Regulation 27

Manner of use prohibited

11 Any other lamp Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.

I nearly took out a cyclist going in the same direction as me a few months ago; some imbecile on a cycle, coming towards me on the Snake pass, had 3 forward facing ultra bright lamps plus a piercing narrow beam lamp on his/her helmet staring straight into my eyes.

Fortunately I stood on the brakes as I couldn't see the road at all, and only later saw a cyclist on my side of the road; They were riding sensibly and had a bright rear lamp and a good bright front light, angled reasonably.

This is why motorised vehicles have dipped, as well as main beam, headlights.

I'm extremely courteous to cyclists; we all have to learn to share the road together and have as much rights as each other to use the highway network.

• 4 weeks later...

I understand that good cycle lights can be a little dazzling but I ride with blaze lights and don't really help my vision on the road if I point them downwards.

If you see a cycle in front and he is bright then in my view it's done its job and you have seen me, however if you feel it's unsafe to pass him/her then don't pass until your sure.

As for off road Isabell I have not rode my bike off road at night but then worrying about being hit with a car off road would not matter.

The most important thing for me cycling at night is being seen by cars and the second is being able to see pot hole's

---------- Post added 25-11-2017 at 18:50 ----------

That is the law for motorised vehicles not bicycles

That is the law for motorised vehicles not bicycles

You may well be correct, but personally I didn't see much in the list of exemptions, other than relating to cycle lamps between the hours of sunrise and sunset.

Certainly there are many references in the act relating to pedal cycles, so "The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989" is intended to apply to pedal cycles in general.

In the case I referred to earlier on the A57, not "a little dazzling", rather absolutely blinding, such that I couldn't see the road, or the cyclist on my side at all.

I wouldn't dream of passing a cyclist if I felt it was unsafe for either them or me, day or night; the issue in this particular case was caused by a cyclist on the other side of the road.

Used responsibly I have no issue with bright cycle lights; I rather wish they had been available when I was still a regular cyclist myself.

I still have a pedal cycle, but the engine's knackered, so I normally use a combination of motorcycle, car, 4x4, and van for my personal transport.

p.s. lots of references to RVLR 1989 available in this article

Edited by peak4

Well I cycle to and from work every day in all weathers.

Things I've learnt is that most motorists couldn't care less about me. I cycle as close to the kerb as possible (usually inside the lines) so as not to obstruct traffic. Rear flashing light, front single light 1AA battery on flashing to grab motorists attention and another 1200 lumens light pointing downwards to see where I'm going.

In 2 years I've been hit by wing mirrors 4 times.

Eventually I will probably get knocked off and the handlebar camera will hopefully capture the incident and lead to criminal conviction. I'm currently debating fitting a rear facing camera too....just to be certain I capture enough to prosecute.

Well I cycle to and from work every day in all weathers.

Things I've learnt is that most motorists couldn't care less about me. I cycle as close to the kerb as possible (usually inside the lines) so as not to obstruct traffic. Rear flashing light, front single light 1AA battery on flashing to grab motorists attention and another 1200 lumens light pointing downwards to see where I'm going.

This is where you are going wrong. Cycling near to the kerb encourages motorists to overtake when it is unsafe to do so. The government's cycle training scheme teaches people to normally ride in the middle of the lane - see the book Cyclecraft, which is the handbook for the government's cycle training scheme.