Millhouses Esporta / Virgin Active whats happening?

Take it TUPE doesn't apply to the Gym industry then .........

not if they are being made redundant and the company taking over the site are doing their own different business!

I was sold on Broadfield road as soon as I looked round. As a (very amateur) triathlete it ticked all my boxes. I only joined in December though so this is only from 5 months experience.

- the pool is nearly always available for lane swimming (albeit it can get a little busy immediately after work on weekdays when swimming lessons are on),

- there's a decent set of Wattbikes, spin classes and there's a plethora of treadmills (I've never had to wait for any equipment before)

-the climbing wall is pretty good (too small to be a replacement for a proper climbing wall but nice to add variety to a workout).

- there's a decent selection of healthy food in the cafe to choose from too.

- It's very clean, the locker rooms and showers in other gyms I've been to have been a right state, I'm impress so far with Virgin,

There are some downsides;

- Children. I have none of my own and I'll probably be called out as a curmudgeon for this but I'm not a fan of children running around the place, although this is only really on weekend daytimes. Nuffield was adult only and benefited from this I think.

- It is rather impersonal. Can't really be avoided really with the size of the place, but it has a rather sterile feel to it. Great for a hard workout on your own but lacking in the home comfort feeling of other gyms.

- Pool has a rather higher chlorine (or other disinfectant) smell than other pools around, it occasionally gives me a really sore throat that I haven't had in any other pools.

Hope this helps!

I think that's a good summary. There are always plenty of bikes, treadmills and similar cardiovascular type machines available, even when the place is very busy.

The machines for working particular areas (I don't know if they have a generic name, but the fixed weight machines with pulleys etc such as leg press, etc etc) can sometimes be busy, and as there are only one or two of each, you can't always get on what you want when you want to. Since the refurb a couple of years ago, there are a lot more varied types of machines, but generally not as many of each type. If you're working a specific routine in a specific order, then this might be inconvenient. However, if you're not so fussy, then there will always be some other machines available.

There is what looks to be a good free weights area, but as I don't use it I'm not certain.

The classes in the two studios are very popular, as are the grid and circuit type excercises in the main gym floor area. Many of them are overbooked. I don't do any but my wife does and she has to make sure she pre books them as soon as she can (ie 1 week ahead), yet still sometimes has to go on a waiting list in and hope that someone drops out.

Lane swimming can get busy, but is still OK, IMO.

The car park can get very busy. Each year there is a noticeable increase in traffic early in the new year as people join, which then drops off after a few weeks. However, this year, there has been less of a drop off, so the car park is often still very busy.

If a lot of the Archer Road members move over, then I think that the classes and car parking will become the main pinch points. They might be able to put on a few more classes, but possibly only at less popular times, as the studios are already heavily used at the peak times, ie evenings. They could possibly increase the number of spinning classes.

Seems strange, I am a member there and I know the staff and the haven't mentioned anything to me. My membership runs out next month anyway there I hope they bring the price down slightly to what it used to be.

In general the whole place is in dire need of a revamp the changing rooms and showers are quite dirty and it is all very outdated recently the machines seem to be packing up with 'not in use signs' on them and the padding etc is worn on various machines. The staff are really nice and friendly and you never feel intimidated by people there.

Seems strange, I am a member there and I know the staff and the haven't mentioned anything to me. My membership runs out next month anyway there I hope they bring the price down slightly to what it used to be.

In general the whole place is in dire need of a revamp the changing rooms and showers are quite dirty and it is all very outdated recently the machines seem to be packing up with 'not in use signs' on them and the padding etc is worn on various machines. The staff are really nice and friendly and you never feel intimidated by people there.

As a Broadfield member, we were allowed to used Archer Rd during the refurbishment of our club a couple of years ago. I tried it once (they are both equidistant), but it felt very run down then, even in comparison with all the upheaval at Broadfield Rd (sections of club and changing rooms shut off as they did a full refurb and change of layout while keeping the club open), so I never went back.

The new owner won't be sacking the staff that easily. There's TUPE.

If they are sensible they will be contacting their union -that's if they are in a union.

Good luck to them.

I was sold on Broadfield road as soon as I looked round. As a (very amateur) triathlete it ticked all my boxes. I only joined in December though so this is only from 5 months experience.

- the pool is nearly always available for lane swimming (albeit it can get a little busy immediately after work on weekdays when swimming lessons are on),

- there's a decent set of Wattbikes, spin classes and there's a plethora of treadmills (I've never had to wait for any equipment before)

-the climbing wall is pretty good (too small to be a replacement for a proper climbing wall but nice to add variety to a workout).

- there's a decent selection of healthy food in the cafe to choose from too.

- It's very clean, the locker rooms and showers in other gyms I've been to have been a right state, I'm impress so far with Virgin,

There are some downsides;

- Children. I have none of my own and I'll probably be called out as a curmudgeon for this but I'm not a fan of children running around the place, although this is only really on weekend daytimes. Nuffield was adult only and benefited from this I think.

- It is rather impersonal. Can't really be avoided really with the size of the place, but it has a rather sterile feel to it. Great for a hard workout on your own but lacking in the home comfort feeling of other gyms.

- Pool has a rather higher chlorine (or other disinfectant) smell than other pools around, it occasionally gives me a really sore throat that I haven't had in any other pools.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for this, I mainly use free weights and resistance machines, the reason I like archer road is that although its a bit worn down, its never over busy at the time I go (4pm) and there are a distinct lack of 'meatheads' who tend to hog the machines and grunt at people who try and use them (i'm told there are more than a few at broadfield which is what puts me off)

I'll just have to go and recon a few places at the time i usually go and see which one suits best.

As for trampolining place, that fad will las last all of six months, shame they are going to ruin a perfectly serviceable gym to accommodate it

---------- Post added 17-05-2016 at 18:45 ----------

If they are sensible they will be contacting their union -that's if they are in a union.

Good luck to them.

having just been TUPE'd myself i wish them all the best but i think in this case its different as its not a gym thats opening to replace it (other chains had offered apparently but virgin didn't want the competition) its going to be a glorified trampoline place, so not much use for fitness instructors or pool attendants.

They were running the place down deliberately waiting for an offer for a none gym company to come in, now it has they've snatched their hand off with no consideration for the staff or the 1000+ members

I really hope the one that opens in the Greaves park tennis centre is a good one then i can ditch the money grabbers virgin for good .

Another company that I will hope i never have to deal with again

Good luck to them.

Tupe is no good to them if the new owner hasnt bought the business and has just taken the lease also if the business model is different it doesnt apply.

ha ha unions :loopy:

Was a member of Esporta in its heyday

At that time it was the best Gym in Sheffield and I have tried most.

Now at SIV .

Positives

Ponds forge is very good now they have just had a massive re fit and the gym now is as good as any and better than most.

Great cardio equipment and a great new body strength area as well.

Easy to get too by bus and car parking is £2 BUT you get a £2 voucher to spend in the cafe.

The pool is of course the main feature 50meter layout at times and even when its not its way better than any others in Sheffield.

I only pay equivalent of £25 a month as I pay a year in advance.

Negatives

The negatives are it gets too busy at peak times I would not use it if that was the only time I could visit but in the daytime on weekdays its perfect I quite often have a lane to myself in the pool.

Also lane swimming is often not available at weekends due to events.

Also I do not rate the classes,it just feels like they are going through the motions.

IS Archer road seriously going to be a trampoline place??? :( Can't believe it if it is I have been using the gym and going for a swim for 15 years!

Unfortunately trampolines it is and bye bye staff :mad::(:mad:

How do you no this :cry:

Tupe is no good to them if the new owner hasnt bought the business and has just taken the lease also if the business model is different it doesnt apply.

ha ha unions :loopy:

How perverse.